Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New POD Go freezing up

plazo

12 minutes ago, Northsea said:

The store I bought it from said it was on the latest version Phil. 

Unless they updated it, it most likely isn't. The version number shows up on the splash screen when you turn the unit on. You're most likely on 1.10. 1.12 was released like three weeks ago.

I received my new unit. This one sounds much better, very little if any of the blown speaker sound I had with the other one. It came loaded with 1.11 so  the first thing I tried after checking the sound of the presets was to attempt to download the new firmware 1.12.0. If you read the instructions when it starts it states to make sure your version of POD GO Edit is version 1.1.1. I had 1.1.0 installed so updated it first. The instructions did not mention uninstalling 1.1.0 before updating so I did not uninstall. The new version installed fine. the existing shortcut on my desktop was still  there,  and launched the new version. The new version launched fine and connected fine. I started the update and it complained about it the GO not being a True S34 or something like that, not sure and I didn't take a picture or write it down. The pedal still said downloading so I was afraid to stop. I let it run about 10 minutes and nothing changed. Shut off the pedal, closed Edit and disconnected the USB cable. At the time I had the pedal connected to a USB hub. This time I turned on the pedal first and let boot (Thank God it booted!). Then I connected the USB cable directly into my Laptop no hub. Launched Edit and attempted the upgrade again. This time it worked perfectly. I would definitely avoid any type of USB hub when doing anything mission critical with this product.

Hope this is of some help! Good luck everyone. I really like the sounds and possibilities with this product and hope it stabilizes!

Pod Go has its own 9v power supply? why would it be drawing power from the USB? Sorry but I've run through every firmware update combination trying to fix a POD Go that I received from new in a bricked state (and none have worked) - I'd just like to know if there is any real basis for assertions like this one.

Thanks for your time.

44 minutes ago, frankmorgan13 said:

Pod Go has its own 9v power supply? why would it be drawing power from the USB? Sorry but I've run through every firmware update combination trying to fix a POD Go that I received from new in a bricked state (and none have worked) - I'd just like to know if there is any real basis for assertions like this one.

Thanks for your time.

Yes the pod has its power adapter of course, but... I don't know the techy stuff but a USB hub has shared ports, while a phisical USB port, like the laptop ones are not shared, the pipeline is 1 to 1 to the board, so to speak. So that's never a good idea to do sensible operations on a usb hub, a hub is more prone to errors or to not feed the necessary stable line signal. 

Thanks to everyone who helped - I had to return my unit (the seller confirmed it was DOA and have now replaced it).

I have flashed the firmware on the new unit to 1.12 without incident. Although getting the unit replaced was a bit of a pain I now have a working POD and it sounds.... just brilliant.

I suppose the take-away from this is that faulty units do exist, but these are probably just teething issues with new hardware and firmware.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a Pod Go yesterday from Guitar Center.  Installed the 1.11 firmware, plugged in the device (per line6 instructions), it detected the device.  I selected the update option and then it could no longer detect the device.  Now, every time I start the Pod Go, it hangs on the bean screen and is undetectable by Pod Go Edit.  Tried the A+B, C+D, Page> startup options, still undetectable.  Tried on a different computer, same issue.  Entered a support ticket (might get a response within 3 days!  Seriously!?), but after reading how many people have had issues with this unit, I think I'm going to just get a refund.  Had very similar issues with my Pod XT Live back in the day that were never resolved.  I thought that after so many years Line 6 would have resolved their software issues, NOT.  I'm stunned that it's as flakey as ever.  Their  products are brilliant (when they actually turn on successfully), but their firmware update software is horrific (still after all these years).  Goodbye Line6.

1 hour ago, ebauman said:

Just purchased a Pod Go yesterday from Guitar Center.  Installed the 1.11 firmware, plugged in the device (per line6 instructions), it detected the device.  I selected the update option and then it could no longer detect the device.  Now, every time I start the Pod Go, it hangs on the bean screen and is undetectable by Pod Go Edit.  Tried the A+B, C+D, Page> startup options, still undetectable.  Tried on a different computer, same issue.  Entered a support ticket (might get a response within 3 days!  Seriously!?), but after reading how many people have had issues with this unit, I think I'm going to just get a refund.  Had very similar issues with my Pod XT Live back in the day that were never resolved.  I thought that after so many years Line 6 would have resolved their software issues, NOT.  I'm stunned that it's as flakey as ever.  Their  products are brilliant (when they actually turn on successfully), but their firmware update software is horrific (still after all these years).  Goodbye Line6.

The latest firmware is 1.12. It has seemed to taken care of all the freezing issues. You should try installing that. If you’re having trouble with POD Go Edit installing the update, try using Line 6 Updater.

I really think Line 6 should get shops to update the firmware to 1.12 before sending units out. Yes I know it would mean opening the boxes but far more damage to their reputation is being done by the Pod Go failing to work properly.

I didn't have any problems with my XT Live but a POD HD500 I own developed a problem with the USB socket (basically it fell apart) and it tuned out it was a known problem.

Line 6 make some great sounding gear but it just seems something isn't quite right with their quality control.

Actually, I just want to expand on this.

What about people who either are not comfortable with updating their unit or indeed don't own a computer and can not update their Pod Go?

• 2 months later...

I get my POD GO last week and update  inmediately to 1.12 . It wasnt easy.. i ended up doing the ''manual'' option because always show me the ''error'' screen. After the update i played with it several times and seemed to be fine, but yesterday, when I power on, the sound was always the same. No matter which footswitch, button, i press... i had to restar.

Anyone having this problem on 1.12??

5 hours ago, facschmidt said:

After the update i played with it several times and seemed to be fine, but yesterday, when I power on, the sound was always the same. No matter which footswitch, button, i press... i had to restar.

Anyone having this problem on 1.12??

It happened once for me with firmware 1.12. I could not change the sound whatever I do. And I had to restart the POD Go.

I also had once a freeze during the boot. And several times, after the boot, no sound at all. Again, a restart fixed the problem but it's not very satisfying.

I have been experiencing the same problem in firmware 1.12.

I bought my Pod Go in September (received it about September, 18) and promptly updated it to the 1.12 firmware.

I use it a lot as a audio interface (don’t know if it can add up to the problematic) and mainly monitor the Pod through it’s headphones output (don’t know if the problem happen in the main outputs). Nevertheless, a few times, without the usb connect, already in 1.12 firmware, my Pod Go booted with no sound. I oppened a support ticket and Line6 replied with instructions to do a fatory reset in my Pod Go and telling me that it was a known firmware issue with the firmware.

I did the factory reset and it worked perfectly through more or less fifty days. Now, two times when booting my Pod Go booted one time with no sound and one time freezes in one snapshot. Everytime the problem was solved by turning the Pod off and then back on.

I think, due to how rare is this problem, it is probably a software problem. But it makes me a really worried it could be an hardware issue, because it is my main rig, now. I bought the Pod to substitute my analog/amp rig in my prog metal band and need it to be reliable.

I oppened a new support ticket in November, but haven’t got the answer still. Will let you guys the answer when I get it.

I contacted my dealer, here in Brazil, but he asked me to send my unit to another city, in which it will be tested (and due to the frequency of the problem being very low, it won’t manifest the problem there). It’s really worrying me the possibility that I bought a faulty unit, as I don’t think, that after three months of purchase I will be able to get a product swap.

Now I'm really undecided if I want to pull the trigger on a Pod Go.

Questions: Straight out the the box and without trying to download the firmware, is the Pod Go usable?

Do the problems come before or after downloading the firmware?

Is loading the firmware absolutely essential in order to use the Pod Go?

Please pardon my ignorance, but this is a whole new world for this old guy. 

Hi Vics53! I'm new to the digital modelling world and, besides this flaw, I really like the Pod Go.

I think it was bad luck that I got a unit with this problem, since it doesn't seem to be a frequent issue.

I will take my to tech support and will let you know. It's probably a hardware issue, but then there's the warranty.

The majority of units with firmware 1.12 seems to be running normal and reliably!

Feel free to ask me more, if I can help you!

Hi Andredainez! Yep, brave new world isn't it?

Basically I was just looking for answers to the 3 questions I asked in my thread.  I'm asking all that I did because I am NOT a computer guy.

So in reading of all the problems others were having and what they were doing to correct just lost me. It's a foreign language to me.

Hi, Vics53! Yes, a brave new world - but a very pratical and good sounding one haha

The Pod Go is very easy to use, I don't think you will have too much problems with it.

I will try to answer the questions:

1) Straight out the the box and without trying to download the firmware, is the Pod Go usable?

Yes, but the update is very easy with the software. You just install the Pod Go Edit software, connect the Pod Go USB to the computer and initiate it in reboot mode (don't remember exactly, now, but I think it's just turning the Pod on holding the bank down footswitch). The firmware 1.12, as far as I'm informed is much better in estability, but I think you can use it without the firmware update without any major issue in most of the cases.

2) Do the problems come before or after downloading the firmware?

I don't know about that. I updated mine as soon as I got it. But I think the update is supposed to solve these problems (in my case, I was told it is probably a hardware problem, will see that latter with the tech feedback).

3) Is loading the firmware absolutely essential in order to use the Pod Go?

I don't think so, but I think it is worth the hassle. 

Thank you very much Andredainez for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm still going a bit back and forth about buying, but at my age I need all the portability I can find! So I'm probably going to get one. I'm going to wait until after Christmas before ordering. I'm knee deep in learning songs for Christmas Eve at church and want that behind me before I move on. I also retired this year, so it could be a lot of fun now that I have the time (and that it's winter) to get one, sit back while it's snowing with my coffee and guitar and start exploring! New tricks for an old dog!

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine first week of November, didn't update it at all cause I don't own a computer but a chrome book which doesn't do the trick. My first unit never once froze, but the expression pedal was loose so I asked Zzounds for a new unit. Done. Got the new unit the second week of December, again didn't update. Running on 1.10 and until tonight had no issues. Earlier tonight upon power up, I noticed only 3 of the 8 foot switch lights lit up, I think I remember them all lighting up on power on. But then, freeze upon switching preset. I powered off and back on, it worked ok for a minute then froze again when I switched preset. I immediately looked this up on Google and saw I'm not alone. So I powered down and back on again, but this time played for a couple hours with no issues. 

Zzounds has a 45 day return policy, with the second unit I'm well within that at this juncture so, needless to say if it happens again I'm gonna need that third unit. I mean, I love the Pod Go, it's awesome. Admittedly if I had $1100 to burn I'd get a refund for the Pod Go and buy a Neural DSP quad cortex but, I don't. The Pod suffices immensely, even without the updates, edit software or pro patches. I do need a pc now though for this particular reason, I don't even have the REVV Purple channel on mine ughhh..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! To give you guys an update (and ask for some advice): I took my Pod Go to the service center in January, 6. Yesterday I picked it up after twenty days and the tech didn't found the problem. I got in touch with the distributor here in Brazil and they told me that, if the Pod doesn't reproduce the problem in the service center, that's nothing they can do to find the problem. They said the only thing they can do is let me send the Pod Go without commitment and neither hurry to see if the problem happens there or sent mine with the defect once it stops for good.  Then they, maybe, can diagnose the problem. But the problem is, the problem solves itself when I turn the Pod Go on and off and also happens at very low frequency, it tends to happens 2 times a month when I use it dayly, it is very rare, but is there, concerning me. I would like to know if there's any update about the problem, as I read some rumors about a new firmware update, maybe it will fix this bug of starting without sound? 

Also, I noticed (and told the tech), that my display, when initializing, for a fraction of a second, the display exibits a white screen. Is it normal or maybe it have to do with the problem? The tech told it was normal, but I am trying to formulate any hipothesis because I would really like to get this fixed under warranty, if it's really a defective unit.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:24 AM, ElectroStrat said:

It happened once for me with firmware 1.12. I could not change the sound whatever I do. And I had to restart the POD Go.

I also had once a freeze during the boot. And several times, after the boot, no sound at all. Again, a restart fixed the problem but it's not very satisfying.

me too after reboot seems fixed, but happend 2 or 3 times