Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi 150 And Fbv Shortboard

joeybjammin

that's correct.  the Amplifi only has 4 presets onboard, which can be controlled wither with an FBV MKII floor controller, or with the on amp button next to the preset lights.  the only way to have more presets at the moment is to use the iOS app, which can store and load more sounds.

I assume this was done as a similar approach to most standard tube amps which tend to have between 2 and 4 channels, and this is usually more than enough to gig with - but I understand it's very different to some modelling amps which can have many presets. I'm not aware of any official plans to increase the number of presets in the amplifi - but there is a USB on the amp which isn't used for anything yet - maybe in the future there will be an update that allows more than 4 presets when using an FBV MKII

here's some more info on the specs:

http://line6.com/amplifi/specs/

hope this helps

Andy

Ok Thanks...

I just bought this amp and finding out that I am really not gonna be able to gig with this.

My new issue is I cannot get the volume levels even.  My clean is way too low compared to the dirty which is cranked.  
How do I get the volume levels balanced between ABCD?

• Upvote 1

Good freaking luck, man. I simply can't make it happen with the sound I want. You can try changing the cabinet and mic to get some more volume, but then you screw up your tone. I've played with the EQ and amp volumes to no avail. I simply can't get a nice clean to match the cruch sound I want so that I can toggle between them. In addition to that, I'm finding that if I tweak a patch and save it to the Amplifi, the FBV pedal quits allowing me to change between ABCD until I power cycle the amp.

I'm about ready to send this thing back, honestly.

OPERATING TIP: I'm new to Line 6 equipment and mostly new to digital modeling amps.  What I have to say about adjusting volumes on the patches may be old-news to ya'll, but I thought I'd put this down since I found the following working for me. Let me first say I have an Amplifi 150 and I'm using my iphone 4S to do the following:

-- From the main page, click AMPLIFi 150 link which will get you to your four patches on bank 1. (Note: If you have an AMPLIFI 75, the link may say AMPLIFI 75)  

-- Click on the circle with the arrow on the right hand side of the name of the tone in the patch you wish to change. This will take you the to editor page for that tone/patch. DON'T adjust any of the sliders (especially the Drive),

-- Go to the links above the sliders and click on the "Vol" link. From there you can lower the "Max Position" from 100 %.

-- After lowering the volume level, click on "Save Info", hit "Save" and then "Save to AMPLIFI 150" This will replace the patch with the newly adjusted volume. 

Since it seems by default most of the volume levels in the tones are set to 100 percent, it is best to lower the levels of your louder tones/patches (distorted and overdriven tones generally) to match the levels of your lower patches. To state it another way, you can't raise you clean tones above 100%, so you will need to lower your other tones to compensate.

You can check your volume levels by going back to your AMPLIFI 150 link and clicking on each patch one at a time, comparing each volume relative to the other patches. Readjust as needed. When you are happy, close your AMPLIFI app and check the patches on your amp by clicking through the four patches with the "Tone" button.

AE

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Spent an hour or so with a line 6 demo guy, we hooked the fbv short board mk11 to an amplifi 150.

Yes you can only use the A B C D for switching 4 patches, however after experimenting with the tone set up on iOS and using the fbv we found that if you set your patch with mod, dly, reverb or stomp you can use the fbv as stomp boxes turning the effects on and off using the stomp, dly, mod, rev buttons. Worked really well, so you can get more from your 4 patches if your clever with the content.

Stunning bit of kit, and as an original AX2 user this is the future for me, the sceptics have become too comfortable with their 256 patches at their disposal, this new technology needs a bit more imagination from the user.

• 6 months later...

You can access all the banks of presets on the Amplifi 150 amp by using the FBV shortboard mkIi, including the last bank of four of your "MY TONES" , by hitting the "BANK UP" and clicking on the flashing button on the A B C D row. This changes you from bank 1 to bank 2. If you hit "BANK DOWN" and click the flashing button, you'll be in the user defined bank.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So are you saying you can access more than 4 presets but only 4 user. But you can access your iOS presets. I'm confused. But I'm also concerned I was about to buy an Amplifi 150 with the Shortboard MK|| the board is £169.99 that's a chunk of change I'm now thinking is it worth it.

I'm sure I watched a video of Sean and he was saying you could switch through banks and presets and it was a lot more than 4. I'm going to go and watch it again now to make sure. I don't care if it's on the amp or on the iOS cos I'll always have the ipad

connected anyway. But I'm not rushing now this is a big investment and I just sold my HD500 to help with it but I was buying what I saw in the advertising not what I'm hearing on here.

Just checked the video on YouTube again and it's not too clear. He mentions the banks x 4 presets = 128 patches but when he says you can access the banks I was talking about here it shows you the ipad. But here he says the LAST BANK is user! So does that mean everything else I can scroll through is line 6 preset and if I modify It I need to overwrite one of my user 4. Cos I've never found a factory sound I've been able to use unchanged yet.

If that is the case then this brings us back to £170 to switch between 4 presets and 4 effects on and off + the pedal functions. Now if I'm wrong - and that's not uncommon - then if you could change all bank presets saved to ipad via the pedal that's a different beast and worth the money. So if anyone could tell me I'd be greatful.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up both the Amplifi 150 and FX100 pedal. at first reading i thought I purchased the wrong items but then found this posting and worked all my settings out nicely.

1. I took the advice below but tweaked a few things that I hope will help others. I used the Amplifi 150 as a speaker but do so with additional settings, i own and use an  MXR EQ and love the setting to bring out the bottom end so I simply set the EQ to the same settings in all four channels and it provided me a very good foundation to lay the FX100 patches on. this one change provides a fat bottom end to the small Amplifi 150.  i set the amp volume at 75% and don't touch a thing.

2. i than disconnected my bluetooth connection from the Amplifi 150 so i could manage the FX100. 

3. I went through my song set and programmed each patch as I would play at a gig. I then made an excel sheet to list each song next to the patch bank and number on the FX100. 

4. After i placed all the patches in, I then took the advice below by editing each patch volume. Open up the patch then go to the volume icon above the slide rules. When you open it set the volume for 100%. The bar above set to 0% or more if you like ( this is the volume pedal control)

5. Now try all your settings on bank one and tweak till they are the same volume. I even used a cheap DB meter that is better than the human ear. Hit the chord and see where it lands making sure all patch's are level. 

6. On each bank i used the first three as rhythm  and the last as boost. To do this you need to do two things. First, find a tone that complements all three of the other setting in the bank. Second, bring the volume on the "D" button setting to 20-25% higher Db levels ( higher volume). This will be your boost channel and recommend using this with your WAH peddle as well to cut through the mix. 

I use the both the amp and the pedals at gigs with my band. When I do solo unplugged acoustic sets I use a Bose L1 connected to the FX100 whereby the first bank is set to acoustic tones such as " brain damage, breathe, wanted dead or alive and other tones.

When the Bose L1 is not  in my car ready to go, I plug the FX100 right into the house and it works great.  i am leaving the gig with cash being asked to return so my sound must be good to the listens ear. I hope this helps other musicians. its a great amp and pedal if given the time to work things out.. thanks sg

• 5 months later...

HI......

Not accustomed to forums  .....

Amplifi 150 with FBV Shortboard MKII....

Does anyone know how to set the effects buttons (Stomp, Modulation, Delay, Reverb) to other effects?

So...  when pressing Delay, you get a reverb, and so on.

My used Shortboard has come to me set up like this on some patches, very confusing, would like to re-set them without going to factory default.

Wouldn't it be good to have an LED screen on every effects button, which indicates exactly what effect you have available, instead of trying to memorise each patch/bank set-up.

Any thoughts Line 6?

Also, I cannot find any instructions/videos that tell me HOW to get going with Amplifi/FBV MKII. They just tell you WHAT you can do.

Happy trails.

HI......

Not accustomed to forums  .....

Amplifi 150 with FBV Shortboard MKII....

Does anyone know how to set the effects buttons (Stomp, Modulation, Delay, Reverb) to other effects?

So...  when pressing Delay, you get a reverb, and so on.

My used Shortboard has come to me set up like this on some patches, very confusing, would like to re-set them without going to factory default.

Wouldn't it be good to have an LED screen on every effects button, which indicates exactly what effect you have available, instead of trying to memorise each patch/bank set-up.

Any thoughts Line 6?

Also, I cannot find any instructions/videos that tell me HOW to get going with Amplifi/FBV MKII. They just tell you WHAT you can do.

Happy trails.

The Shortboard MKII simply acts as an interface to interact with the amp.  Meaning it can only toggle things on/off, and cycle through presets and patches.  All of the editing of presets is done through the Amplifi Remote app.

To change effects:

Click on the effect type (Stomp, Mod, Delay) and then click on the title of the effect on the left side.  This will bring up a list of all of the effects of that type.  If you click on "Type", again on the left, you can then choose a different type of effect (Drivers & Dynamics, Mods, Delays, Filters, Synths and Pitch).  You can only select reverb effects for the Reverb slot.

You can also move the order of the effects in the chain by holding down on the effect slot in the chain, and dragging it to a new spot.  The effects all have to be either before the Amp/Cab, or after Comp and EQ.

There are lots of YouTube videos that you can watch that give detailed instructions on how to create tones and how to work with the Amp/Shortboard.

As for LED screens, I'm sure if consumers were willing to pay $400+ for a Shortboard with a screen above each effect button Line 6 might consider it.  I doubt anyone would pay for that though.

Most people just leave the app open on their ipads/tablets so that they can see the set up for each patch.

Thankyou,

Extra LEDs just a pipe dream.

Moving effects around, changing the sequence  .....   Yes, I can move them around, but the Delay footswitch still activates Reverb, and Modulation footswitch still activates Delay, and so on, (on SOME patches, as pre-set by previous owner, I'm guessing).

So  ... how do I re-set the footswitches back to their original location, i.e. ..  the Delay switch manages the Delay etc.?

Doing it without a factory default setting would be good.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks. 

The Delay switch will never activate the reverb.  The reverb function can't be assigned to any other slot or button.  

If you look at the app you can tell which button is controlling which effect, by the symbol in the bottom right corner of each effect ("S" for Stomp, "D" for Delay, "M" for Modulation).

You can change the button assigned to each effect by changing the order of the effects in the chain (by dragging them around), or by manually selecting the corresponding effect for that slot (So for the effect marked with the "D", change it to a Delay effect manually).

Keep in mind though, changing the order of effects in the chain will have an affect on the sound of the tone.  For instance, putting a chorus effect in front of a stomp effect will sound different than putting the stomp effect before the chorus effect.  Same with effects placed before and after the amp.

The amp comes with 100 presets already stored in the amp (banks 1-24) which are all designed to emulate a certain tone.  Changing the order of the effects in those presets will change the way they sound and they will no longer sound as intended.   Just worth keeping in mind.

• 2 months later...

Hi guy's

I had this problem and spent hours messing around and filling out support tickets and speaking to experts. I found the answer in a related article to do with a spider amp. When you press the Bank up Bank down button the display will flash with the selected bank. You must select ABC or D patch while the display is still flashing. The you can select ABC or D as required. To change to another bank repeat the process. This may be little late but I know some one else will come across this issue in the future.

George.

Hi guy's

I had this problem and spent hours messing around and filling out support tickets and speaking to experts. I found the answer in a related article to do with a spider amp. When you press the Bank up Bank down button the display will flash with the selected bank. You must select ABC or D patch while the display is still flashing. The you can select ABC or D as required. To change to another bank repeat the process. This may be little late but I know some one else will come across this issue in the future.

George.

You probably could have saved yourself a ton of time by just reading the instructions:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593cc41922/application/pdf/FBV%20MkII%20Series%20Controller%20Advanced%20User%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20B%20).pdf

• 2 months later...

Is this true? I'm planning on buying an amplifi 150 and so far I thought the 25 banks of 4 presets were not editable, let alone saveable, except for 1 bank with 4 presets?

Being able to edit ALL presets would be very nice! Still, for live situations, one bank with four presets would still do the trick for me.

So, I'd like to know the following:

(checking before I buy)

1) I understand that deep editing presets is done with iOS/Android devices. (No problem, obviously, as I'm owning several iOS devices)

2) Can you edit AND save ANY of the presets in ALL banks? If not: there's still one bank with four saveable presets, right?

3) In other words: once I find "my" sounds and saved them, I don't need the iOS/Android device anymore - until I want to edit and save again. Right? So, I can use the Amplifi 150 live, without having to use the iOS device, right?

4) Once I have my sounds saved I'd like to use the Amplifi 150 in small live situations. Switching between banks/presets: this can be done with the FBV Mk II, right?

The answers can probably be found already here on several threads, but I just wanted to make sure I got everything covered I need...

Cheers!

Jo

Is this true? I'm planning on buying an amplifi 150 and so far I thought the 25 banks of 4 presets were not editable, let alone saveable, except for 1 bank with 4 presets?

Being able to edit ALL presets would be very nice! Still, for live situations, one bank with four presets would still do the trick for me.

So, I'd like to know the following:

(checking before I buy)

1) I understand that deep editing presets is done with iOS/Android devices. (No problem, obviously, as I'm owning several iOS devices)

2) Can you edit AND save ANY of the presets in ALL banks? If not: there's still one bank with four saveable presets, right?

3) In other words: once I find "my" sounds and saved them, I don't need the iOS/Android device anymore - until I want to edit and save again. Right? So, I can use the Amplifi 150 live, without having to use the iOS device, right?

4) Once I have my sounds saved I'd like to use the Amplifi 150 in small live situations. Switching between banks/presets: this can be done with the FBV Mk II, right?

The answers can probably be found already here on several threads, but I just wanted to make sure I got everything covered I need...

Cheers!

Jo

You can replace all of the on-board presets with your own if you want to. You aren't forced to keep the factory ones. Beyond that, with the app, you can save an unlimited number of presets that you can call up whenever you want (while synced via Bluetooth).

• 8 months later...

Can I save a sound to the user bank of the Amplifi 75 using only the mkii shortboard? If so, how is that done?   I'm used to doing this with the old shortboard and my Flextone III, but this setup is very different.  Can I do this without the Apple software?  I'd like to just do it manually, or tweak an existing preset and move it to the user bank.  Doable?  How?