Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is a preamp like GAP pre 73 can be good for the HD500X

Segomil

Hi, 

I want to use more longer the HD500X that i love which start to show its age.

So i thought that maybe a Mic preamp like the Golden Age Project Pre 73 should be very good for the HD500X as much vocals & guitar & Bass ... is this can be a good purchase ?

I have to say that the HD500D is use as audio interface for recording with my DAW Cubase.
So it's for vocals & Guitar !

Is the GAP can do my vocal & guitar going through the HD500X & Cubase ? 

Any other advices are welcome.

Thank you all !

Daniel

If you need a high-level voice preamp, and if you also have microphones, audio interface and monitors of the same high-level (remember: the weakest link in the chain always affects the end result, no matter how better the other connected components are), then the purchase of the GAP pre 73  might make sense.

But if you think that the purchase of the GAP pre 73 will improve the sound of the POD, then surely it will be a useless purchase, wasted money.

If the POD does not satisfy you completely anymore, better buy a new generation device.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

1 hour ago, Segomil said:

In reality  the need of an extenal preamp is to give more gain for the vocal the HD500X

If more gain/punch for the vocals is all you need, you have several tools in the POD to achieve it.

1) turn up the Mic level knob on the rear panel of your device as needed.

2) use the Studio EQ or the Vintage pre and boost the mic signal if needed

3) apply the LA Studio compressor

PS. the Vintage Pre is the model of a pre-amp which would be even better than the pre-amp you wanted to buy, ie it is the model of the Requisite Y7 vintage Tube Mic Preamp

7T2qAem.jpg

description:

A vintage-voiced tube mic preamp based on the Requisite Y7. Place this model at any point in the signal chain to give incredible warmth to vocal sounds and guitar and bass tones. Its controls include:

• Gain: Input Gain
  • HPF: Provides a High-Pass Filter with a range of 20Hz-500Hz
  • LPF: Provides a Low-Pass Filter with a range of 5kHz-20kHz
  • Phase: 0 or 180 degree out of phase (useful when used within parallel signal paths)
  • Output: Output Level

----------------------------------------

The mentioned Teletronix LA-2A studio tube amplified optical compressor (Leveling Amplifier) model is also excellent for vocals and else..

4gGoJsk.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Yes it work ,,, i tried the Vintage pre & the Studio Eq & created a new preset & the result is very very good ...thanks  Hur, i appreciate that !

I have to thanks also pianoguyy who make me economise a lot of money !

And because you guys are good i have a last question : how is the quality of the mic preamp inside the HD500X compared to a Aundient interface like ID14 or ID22 ... i have to know the quality hardware of the mic preamp from the HD500X !?

6 hours ago, Segomil said:

how is the quality of the mic preamp inside the HD500X compared to a Aundient interface like ID14 or ID22 ... i have to know the quality hardware of the mic preamp from the HD500X !?

In my opinion, the quality of the POD mic preamp is more or less equivalent to that of most audio interfaces for home recording, therefore more than enough for most cases. If you use well the tools available to process the signal, you can get excellent results.

Obviously the quality of the preamps in the products dedicated to professional recording is superior, but as I said earlier if you use a higher level preamp, the rest of the connected devices (mics, AI, monitors, etc.) must also be at a comparable level to really appreciate the subtle differences in sound performance.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips