Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Could Helix (Hardware and Software) display show stereo signal path?

Klaim

I was watching this: 

After watching this, I'm starting to think that the existence or collapsing of stereo or mono signal would be made FAR MORE CLEAR the lines were doubled when the signal is stereo. That way you immediately see between which block or input/output the signal becomes mono or stereo.

Here is how it would look like: 
BEFORE (as in now)
helix_stero_mono_before.thumb.png.1a3335ecbb5b6839f73d7acfdd723f81.png
helix_stero_mono_after.thumb.png.b639e54ae91e8dbdf59868b0ca45d279.png
AFTER (display double lines on stereo signal paths)

That way it's obvious what's happening, which block makes or keep the signal stereo, which block keeps or makes the signal mono and that this preset is meant to be stereo or not.
I can see how that would make the drawings of the signal path with branches a bit more difficult though... depending on if it's a split signal left and right or not for example.

What do you think?

I'm not sure if the double line is the BEST implementation - I'd have to see more feedback from other users if they can foresee any confusion or issues that might arise from the double lines, but I'm all for a visual representation of the stereo/mono that is quick and easy. This works for me.

I agree, either a double line or a different colored segment, something like that would be nice. I think a lot of new users probably don't even realize when their path is stereo or mono, which is unfortunate because it makes a big difference for recording.

Indeed, maybe some other representation would work too.

I think in some cases it might be hard to pull of because of the different ways signals can be split, but nothing impossible.

I'll try to put this in ideascale then (I believe the devs do rely on it to see interest?)

Two lines for stereo paths is something we talked about early on but there's no consistent way to represent what the user's actually hearing, so we punted it.

For example, some blocks are mono-in, stereo out, some are mono but allow stereo dry signals through when the mix is set to anything but 100%, some are stereo in/stereo out, but the inputs are merged before processing... There wasn't an elegant way to explain all the possible combinations and even if we could, the signal flow would ultimately be more confusing than helpful. Sometimes less information is more.

@Digital_Igloo I see, I was expecting that you already considered that (which is why I asked here first).

I wonder if a way to visualize this as a separate "view" would work. Currently it's confusing because you have to know which pedal does what (I'm a noob in pedals so I don't know much of the ones available).  In a physical pedalboard, at least part of the information is immediately visible: you can see the cables that are doubled on the pedals. But it's partial info as you say.