Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How To Make Your Gain/ Distortion Cleaner &more Transparrent

michaelyoungband

Use the Screamer... it's a modeled tube pedal and it has built in tube compression... add a red or blue compressor to it and you'll get a nice thumpy attack.  

While your advice is good, it should be noted that the Screamer was not a tube pedal at all.  It was an analogue distortion pedal with transistors and op amps.  No tubes despite the name.

While your advice is good, it should be noted that the Screamer was not a tube pedal at all.  It was an analogue distortion pedal with transistors and op amps.  No tubes despite the name.

You're right, I wasn't clear... was trying to say the Screamer pedal provides tube-like compression (at least the HD model does), I didn't actually mean it was originally a tube pedal... my bad.  Thanks for clarifying.   

You're right, I wasn't clear... was trying to say the Screamer pedal provides tube-like compression (at least the HD model does), I didn't actually mean it was originally a tube pedal... my bad.  Thanks for clarifying.   

no worries... the Tube Drive does in fact model an actual tube (12ax7) pedal.  The below link has some great info and hints for use...

http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_mp3_Tube_Driver_Sound.html

I mostly run through my DT25 and try to maximize settings for the amp model corresponding to the tone I want to achieve rather than using a lot of pedals.  I find I rarely use the distortion pedals but I often use compressors, tube, red, blue.  I think most of us are used to using pedals because we usually only had one physical amp and had to use pedals for various tones we wanted.  The POD gives us a wide range of amps to choose from so when I want to change tone I like to change amp rather than just add pedals .  I realize that is not always the best solution for every situation but the amps are just so good...  Especially through the DT...

• Upvote 1

exactly my thoughts most of the time...

i also tend to look at other amp models before messing with those deep edit parameters.

I mostly run through my DT25 and try to maximize settings for the amp model corresponding to the tone I want to achieve rather than using a lot of pedals.  I find I rarely use the distortion pedals but I often use compressors, tube, red, blue.  I think most of us are used to using pedals because we usually only had one physical amp and had to use pedals for various tones we wanted.  The POD gives us a wide range of amps to choose from so when I want to change tone I like to change amp rather than just add pedals .  I realize that is not always the best solution for every situation but the amps are just so good...  Especially through the DT...

Try two OD pedals in sequence before the amp model.  I just built a patch with a Red Comp, Screamer and Classic Distortion (in that order).  The Screamer is set to about 40 on the drive, and the Classic Distortion is set to about 40 also.  The resulting overdrive sound is tight, punchy and defined (to my ears).  

One thing that works for me is the turn down the amp gain and use the Tube Compressor after the amp

I just tried that, with the compressor last in line and it really fattened up the sound.

I also tried it with the Red Comp, Screamer and Classic Distortion before the amp.

After the amp I have chorus, echo and reverb.

I have more experimenting to do but am finally getting better tones.

s

• 2 weeks later...

After further experimenting tonight I've solved a problem I was having, you may want to try this.

I get a good clean amp sound in one path, then I split it into two paths and place a distortion pedal(s) in the other path.  I can then control the gain by setting the drive, output, etc. and adjust the mixer volumes and pan levels of each path.

This way I'm getting a good clean sound punching through with as much or in this case, as little gain as I want.  If I put a high gain amp in the other path however it just floods it with too much fizzy gain.

s