Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as a “mixer”

tahiche

Hi,

I’d like to use the Helix as the central piece of a very simple setup. Using it as an Audio interface to work with my laptop or iPad. I’d like to run external gear through the helix, mainly the Digitakt and record those with the guitar. Simple.
I tried to hook my Digitakt to the Helix, to monitor and provide midi sync. I used returns 1/2, that’s the only option I could think of. But I need a “return” block for that, which means a whole lane just to monitor. Also means whenever I switch preset I loose the monitor... just can’t see it working.
There should be some sort of “audio through” without the need for a block to be able to use it as a mixer of sorts... we got ¿9? USB outputs but it’s just not workable if you need a block every single time. As I said, you loose a lane (dedicated usb output) and there’s no way to switch presets.

am I missing something?. 
Thanks!

I think  you may be trying to fit the Helix into an area it's not designed for.  That's not saying there aren't people that use the Helix for simple mixing particularly on solo acts.  But the Helix main job is something else and it can never hope to compete with the ease of even a simple mixer given that adjusting the mix on a Helix involves making adjustments to the preset as compared to having real faders to dial in a mix.

• Upvote 1

You can connect the Digitakt OUT to the AUX input (MONO) and it's available in all presets, but has to be configured as to where you want it in the signal chain, per preset. Or you can connect it to a pair of Returns (stereo) in which case the returns have to be assigned in each preset. If you're using the Digitakt through a computer via USB then yes, you'll need two USB paths, but then unless you assign it to USB 1/2, they'll have to be assigned per preset. If you assign it to USB 1/2 then the signal will bypass Helix processing direct to Outputs 1/2.

As DunedinDragon said, the mixer functionality is limited. The best way to do what you're asking is with an external soundcard/mixer. I use a Focusrite 18i20 and have eDrums, Synths, multiple guitars, bass, mics - you get the picture.

Thanks for the answers,

My intention is/was to use the Helix as an audio interface. It’s big enough,( specially for home use it’s just massive ) so I was hoping for it to suffice. All I needed was Something like “audio from return 1/2 through to usb 3/4” . I don’t see the point of having that many usb outputs otherwise. As I said, needing a block means presets are unusable. Having some “global in/outs settings” would make it a usable interface. Right now I need an interface just for the Digitakt... that means I can’t use the Helio as an interface, and the helix has plenty more connections than my Focusrite. 
So it’s not so much a mixer issue but having a nice recording setup. Helix as interface means I can plug in my mic and guitar, have dedicated usb outputs and even separate dry versions... if I use another interface/mixer i loose all that. If that’s the case, if it’s not a “complete” solution I’d rather have the smaller Stomp and a Zoom L12 or similar, to have a “it’s there, plug in and record” setup. But it’s a pity. It’s so close, just that “audio through to usb” option. 
Regarding my “plan B”, it turns out Multi-track mixer/interfaces like the ZOOM L12 or R16 don’t have midi... my poor digitakt is sad again. 

What's wrong with the attached Preset/Template?

Guitar is on USB 1

Bass goes in the AUX input and comes out USB 2

Mic is on USB 3/4

Digitakt Goes in Return 1/2 and comes out on USB 5/6

All you need to do is add amps and effects.

Tahiche.hlx

Here's a new version of the previously attached preset/template.

The high dsp guitar is Path 1A and the lower dsp MIC is Path1B.

Path 2A is Bass and Path 2B is for your Digitakt.

If you take a MONO Out from your Digitakt into Return 1 it can be recorded from USB 5, and a MONO out from a Synth into Return 2 it will record from USB 6.

You now have a recording template for a 5 piece band, and I haven't used a single block for routing.

Tahiche3.hlx

22 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Here's a new version of the previously attached preset/template.

The high dsp guitar is Path 1A and the lower dsp MIC is Path1B.

Path 2A is Bass and Path 2B is for your Digitakt.

If you take a MONO Out from your Digitakt into Return 1 it can be recorded from USB 5, and a MONO out from a Synth into Return 2 it will record from USB 6.

You now have a recording template for a 5 piece band, and I haven't used a single block for routing.

Tahiche3.hlx 12.03 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks, will check it out.

Don’t mean to sound ungrateful, but I know this is possible, it’s just the issue with presets... it might seem trivial but it’s a bummer for me. 
Recently i had a band where I’d use 3 inputs in every preset. 1a and 1b for guitar, 2a for bass (vía octave raro send/return) and 2b for vocals. It worked fine, but I couldn’t fiddle around presets, I couldn’t just pick a nice sound and keep it cos I needed to rebuild the other paths and rearrange everything, Yes, I see  it’s probably unjustified wining. in my case, start the digitakt and be able to hon through presets and keep hearing the digitakt.
Making the returns “audio through” is a stupid idea?. Seems like we all have that one thing we just need and no no else does  :) 

in a different post I talked about a feature that I think is missing and that is present in, for example, Voicelive3. A way to have some “global” or default settings.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your comments!. 

On a side note, I’m still thinking about going for the stomp + mixer. I’ll probably hate myself when I experience the 6 block limit, but the Helix is just overwhelming on my bedroom table.

Gonna check out the patch. Thanks again.