Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V vs Spider IV

sayid98

Hi Guys, This must be a dead horse. But please help out to get the most out of my investment. I got both combos - V (240) & IV (150) and need to get rid of one due to space constraints. I just don't like the V as much as IV. V sounds dull to me! I would like to give V one last try (I'm not an expert at tweaking sounds  - but I tried quite a bit already). I have been enjoying two Spider IV presets for years (Honky tonk for clean  & The Love (Steve)  Vai for distortion - don't use the other ones at all). I couldn't find any preset on V that sounds anywhere close to these two. There has to be a way to get a clean and distortion sound of the V.  Please help me out. On a related now, I have a Helix LT arriving soon. Which combo could go better with the LT? Or should I look into some cab & amp?

Thank you!

First, have you upgraded the software on the V to 2.0? It makes a huge difference with the Classic vs Full Range mode. Classic cuts the tweeter so it sounds like a regular guitar amp and they've tweaked the presets to sound better.

Second, are you tweaking from a computer or tablet? The controls on the amp are ok, but it's much easier to find what you're looking for on one of the computer apps. I never use the amp controls to tweak unless I'm at a gig or jam.

Third, go to Custom tone and try some of the presets that others have posted. There are 1000's there. I'm sure you can find something close to what you have on the IV. The V is lightyears ahead of the IV in quality of amp models. It just might take a bit of experimenting to find your tone.

Fourth, the V 240 will be better to amplify your Helix. It's tweeters and extra power will do a better job of reproducing the sounds. But, the Helix is a whole different ballgame when it comes to tweaking. If you think the Spiders have a lot of controls, wait until you get the Helix. Learning on the Spider V now, will help you learn the Helix when you get it.

I don't think you will find either amplifiers a perfect match for the Helix LT. 

There are several ways to approach using them:

- Both have a 1/8 stereo auxilary in jack which you can use with a shielded 1/4 stereo out to 1/8 jack to the headphones out on your LT.  I've done this with my Helix floor to my Spider V 240hc.  It works well, but I get a bit more noise than when I go direct to the mixer, Powercab +, or my FRFR speakers.

- Another option is to setup your LT patch and go into the guitar input on the amps but specify "no amp" .    I don't mess around with this because I don't think it sounds very good.  

You woud be served better by selling both amps and getting a powercab or one of the other FRFR solutions.  

I liked my Spider IV better when using the amp speaker. The Spider V speaker still sounds flat to me when I turn it up. However, when I run the V directly into the PA (which I do not only for gigs but also for rehearsals) it sounds just fine, as it does at home with head[hones. And I love how useful the V is for practicing with back tracks at home. 

Thanks all - really appreciate your inputs. Spent couple days tinkering with the V (upgraded to the latest fw which has the classic speaker mode). Also tried some patches from the cloud as well - just couldn't find any metal distortion that sounds heavy, natural, and warm. So my perception didn't change. Despite having all the cool features (which I really wanted), it just doesn't sound as good as the spider IV. When I got the spider IV 150 to replace Spider III 120, I couldn't stop playing for hours - the improvement was obvious. It sounds great by itself and with X3 live I still have. But this time I am super disappointed. I was so excited that I got the FBV3 and G10T as well. And I bought another V 240 for my little brother - same experience really. I have to find an alternative for him too. I am not sure if they cut corners on the speaker quality. At the end of the day, sound quality matters more than features. 

To add to my woes, FBV3 (with latest fw) isn't really compatible with IV (it doesn't change banks, doesn't connect IV to the PC IV edit app) even though L6 listed IV as a compatible product. That makes it a very expensive brick. I won't even get started on G10t...

So I have decided to give helix lt a fair shot as my final L6 product, I can't afford to be disappointed one more time after buying so many of these new generation L6 products. I have to get rid of V, FBV3, and G10t and please help me find a good head/cab combo for the helix. I'm looking at some tube heads this time that I can enjoy at low volume too.

Thanks!

Another oddity for me is that the Spider V speaker sounds different depending on where I am positioned. In case you haven't tried already, try standing at different places in the room and at different angles to the speaker.  Might (or might not) make a big difference. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im also thinking about a helix, and new head/ cab combo 

My spider IV rocks heavy metal ,but I just factory reset it and now if I touch the volume it automatically goes quiet and I have to move the amp select knob to restore volume ,nightmare..