Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Overdrive Dull before HX Stomp?

funkyeah

Hey!  I have a Wampler Paisley Deluxe on my mini board.  I also have it on my main board into a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and it sounds great.

My issue is the pedal into the Stomp has a kind of dull quality about it.  There's a hazy hairiness to the tone in a subtle way.  It's not outright bad but it doesn't have the same character as my other Paisley pedal.  This is for any amp in the Stomp but I have it usually on a DR or Plexi.

I have impedance maxed so I don't believe that's causing an issue.  Anyone else encounter this with an OD?

the pedal might be true bypass but that refers to its bypass state, sometimes they have buffers in the pedal as part of the processing chain even if its bypass state is true bypass, it's mix and match till you find pedal combos that work since all pedals don't have switchable buffers. all pedals should have switchable buffers huh. does the HX stomp have a switchable buffer? 

On 5/30/2020 at 11:16 PM, bypassvalve said:

the pedal might be true bypass but that refers to its bypass state, sometimes they have buffers in the pedal as part of the processing chain even if its bypass state is true bypass, it's mix and match till you find pedal combos that work since all pedals don't have switchable buffers. all pedals should have switchable buffers huh. does the HX stomp have a switchable buffer? 

He has two setups. One is guitar ->pedal ->amp. The other is guitar ->pedal ->Helix. What difference would a buffer in the pedal make? The pickups of the guitar are loaded the same in both cases. Are you implying the input of the Helix doesn't like a buffer before it?

To the OP:

• When you say you max'd the input impedance, you set it to 1MOhm, correct? If what you're hearing is loss of treble, then 1MOhm should give your best chance of keeping it.
  • How long is your cable run between the Paisley and Helix vs. your pedal setup? Long cables can filter high frequencies too. Try to match the physical setup as close as possible.
  • Is the input pad turned on in the Helix? That can change the sound and dynamic response a bit. I think you'd want it set to OFF but try it both ways, see if it helps.
  • If the output of that pedal is a lot greater than the pickups alone, maybe it's a level issue. Try putting it into an effects return jack instead of the guitar input, and use the return as the input of your Helix path. Then go into your Global Settings and change that return to line level instead of instrument. I think this is unlikely to be the problem, but worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 3:58 AM, qwerty42 said:

• When you say you max'd the input impedance, you set it to 1MOhm, correct? If what you're hearing is loss of treble, then 1MOhm should give your best chance of keeping it.
  • How long is your cable run between the Paisley and Helix vs. your pedal setup? Long cables can filter high frequencies too. Try to match the physical setup as close as possible.
  • Is the input pad turned on in the Helix? That can change the sound and dynamic response a bit. I think you'd want it set to OFF but try it both ways, see if it helps.
  • If the output of that pedal is a lot greater than the pickups alone, maybe it's a level issue. Try putting it into an effects return jack instead of the guitar input, and use the return as the input of your Helix path. Then go into your Global Settings and change that return to line level instead of instrument. I think this is unlikely to be the problem, but worth a try.

Yes, it's 1Mohm

Cable is just under 6 inches

I have to check input pad but it sounds great if I'm clean going into the Stomp through the Paisley's bypass

I have to wait for the block increase to do that really.  I have an outboard reverb/delay in the loop currently and most of the mods I use post drive, pre-time so I can't lump it into the loop.  But that does make sense about my dirt volume probably being higher.  I normally have it set a little higher than unity into my tube amp so probably need to adjust here.