Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X In-Ear Monitors

jlwas

I recently purchased the HD500X after owning the HD400 for a while and it got me thinking if it’s possible to use the HD500X as an IEM board? I play for a church and instead of personal mixers, we use on-stage monitors. I found that this is quite inconvenient at most points.

My question is, is it possible to run a 1/4 through the aux-in or an XLR into the HD500X that has the audio from the other instruments and vocals, but not run the monitor mix back out through the PA? I know that the Helix could perform such task, but could the HD500X do the same? 

I feel like if it’s possible, but I’m unsure if it could be done. Thank you in advance!

7 hours ago, jlwas said:

My question is, is it possible to run a 1/4 through the aux-in or an XLR into the HD500X that has the audio from the other instruments and vocals, but not run the monitor mix back out through the PA?

Quick answer: No.

First thing, if you send the mix through the POD chain (through AUX or MIC as you said) it would be processed along with the guitar, unless you change all your needed patches to include 2 independent paths, where one of them would be empty and dedicated to the mix to let it pass through unprocessed.

An other option would be to send the mix through the POD mp3 input, that way the mix wouldn't pass through the chain, and you could still use your old patches as they are.

But in any of the above cases both the guitar and mix would pass through the POD outputs, and there is no way around.

(Actually if using the 2 independent paths patches you could deviate the mix path signal by putting a FX LOOP at the end of it, and so the mix wouldn't go back to the PA. But you wouldn't even have the mix through headphones (In-Ear) connection as it can only replicate what the standard outputs do.)

IMO what you need is a small personal mixer where both the guitar signal and the mix signal (minus the guitar if possible) come in from the PA, so you can mix them as you like and connect your In-Ear to.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

The only way I know how to do it is to setup the HD500 as two separate signal paths - one for your instrument and one for the monitor. Set one for Left and the other for Right and don't use any stereo FX. Feed only your instrument channel to the house mixer. Use the local HD500 headphone output to listen. One ear will have the monitor and the other ear will have your instrument.

Or, you could connect the monitor signal to the CD input as long as only 1 channel has the monitor signal and the other channel is silent..