Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

BSOD when connecting Helix LT to PC

Wxam

Dear reader,

I've bought the Helix LT a couple of days ago.

After trying it for some hours I wanted to go into the Helix edit to try and make some custom tones and update the helix as it is on version 2.30.

Unfortunately every time I plug in the Helix and turn it on my PC crashed with a BSOD saying "system service exception"

It's an up to date windows 10 PC with all the latest drivers and everything.

Hope you guys can help me out with this one.

Kind Regards,

Wxam

The only thing I can think of might be some issue your Helix device driver might be having with another device on your PC like maybe a sound card or something.  Go into the Device Manager from the Control Panel.  You should have a Line 6 category which contains the Helix Floor device.  Make sure that doesn't have any exclamation marks or errors on it.  Do the same thing for the Line 6 Helix device that's in the Sound, video and game controllers category of the Device manager.

Hi DunedinDragon,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked around a little more yesterday evening and found out that the Logitech G HUB was causing the BSOD when I turned on the board.

Everything works fine now, The Only thing I still didn't figure out is why my HX Edit won't open. I open the .exe but nothing pops up even with the helix plugged in.

Kind regards,

Wxam

3 hours ago, Wxam said:

Hi DunedinDragon,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked around a little more yesterday evening and found out that the Logitech G HUB was causing the BSOD when I turned on the board.

Everything works fine now, The Only thing I still didn't figure out is why my HX Edit won't open. I open the .exe but nothing pops up even with the helix plugged in.

Kind regards,

Wxam

The first thing to check is to make sure you have the correct HX Edit version for the firmware that's loaded on your Helix.  In rare cases it might not run if there's a security issue as far as your user rights.  Try using "Run As Administrator" from the drop down when you right click on it and see if that helps.  If you're still running 2.30 you can also try downloading and installing the HX Edit version 2.30 to make sure it's correct.  Also make sure your Helix is turned on and plugged into a direct USB port and not a hub when you run HX Edit.

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Also make sure your Helix is turned on and plugged into a direct USB port and not a hub when you run HX Edit.

The gist is, if you have trouble with using front USB ports, try the back ones.  And if you have trouble with one on the back, try another one.  I've just seen posts where changing from one to another works (USB 2.0 vs. 3.0?).

I wanted to add clarity because when I see 'hub' I still think of the old school USB hub on the desk or shelf.  But the front USB's on your PC are likely a 'hub' as well;  multiple ports sharing one cable path to the motherboard.   

9 hours ago, DiveBlack said:

Im having the same problem.. do you just disable / deinstall Logtech G Hub or do you found a other solution? Dont want to deinstall it because of the buggy Line6 Driver :/

Hey! I've right clicked the application in my taskbar and closed it, you don't have to deinstall it.

I had to close like almost all my apps spotify, and also Logitech G Hub after that it worked fine 

9 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

The first thing to check is to make sure you have the correct HX Edit version for the firmware that's loaded on your Helix.  In rare cases it might not run if there's a security issue as far as your user rights.  Try using "Run As Administrator" from the drop down when you right click on it and see if that helps.  If you're still running 2.30 you can also try downloading and installing the HX Edit version 2.30 to make sure it's correct.  Also make sure your Helix is turned on and plugged into a direct USB port and not a hub when you run HX Edit.

I've tried this, As i'm a administrator on my own computer and the Helix works fine on the USB ports.
Normal run and even run as admin doesn't work The helix is on version 2.92 because the Line 6 Updater program works fine it's just the HX Edit that won't open. Think i'm gonna look if it will work with the 2.30 version of HX Edit. The Helix is also turned on and plugged into a direct usb port

1 hour ago, Wxam said:

I've tried this, As i'm a administrator on my own computer and the Helix works fine on the USB ports.
Normal run and even run as admin doesn't work The helix is on version 2.92 because the Line 6 Updater program works fine it's just the HX Edit that won't open. Think i'm gonna look if it will work with the 2.30 version of HX Edit. The Helix is also turned on and plugged into a direct usb port

I can tell you right now it won't work with HX Edit 2.30.  The correct HX Edit version is 2.92 just like your firmware version.  It sounds like you didn't install things per the instruction sheet.  You no longer need to run the Line 6 Updater program.  You simply install the correct version of HX Edit and run it.  It walks you through the backup and installs everything you need both on the PC and on the Helix.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I can tell you right now it won't work with HX Edit 2.30.  The correct HX Edit version is 2.92 just like your firmware version.  It sounds like you didn't install things per the instruction sheet.  You no longer need to run the Line 6 Updater program.  You simply install the correct version of HX Edit and run it.  It walks you through the backup and installs everything you need both on the PC and on the Helix.

I've installed HX Edit 2.90 on my PC after deleting 2.92 and everything works fine now.

Hi
Jump in here of curiosity… Reason is I see problems described that blames Line6 for buggy software but some of it are more related to PC-problems (a device that is highly depending on the user in what stat it is and need some knowledge to keep in shape for real time applications and what hw/sw installed, isn’t going to get into that know). Some know for years, some form experience. Many of them are described by Line6 power users/gurus so many times. A lot of energy can be lost if barking on the wrong tree instead of directing the energy where problems are.

One comment from DiveBlack on Line6 drivers “… Don’t want to deinstall it because of the buggy Line6 Driver…”. I don’t se any evidence that the Line6 drivers are buggy. By experience however, I have had problems with Logitech applications and software many times. For years I have run their products on the standard win drivers (mouse and keyboard). I hade a BSOD the other week and my conclusion was that the update I made of the G Hub software was the problem. Removing it corrected the problem. If it crashed with the L6 driver or something else, have no idea, but it was after update of that software. 

Two other important parts here is what DunedinDragon said – Use the correct HXEdit-version when you make the update and use an USB-port not shared by anything else. If it fails try another one. But all that are in the Line6 instructions for the update. Maybe can add, try another USB-cable. The one included from Line6 is not that good. One thing I think Line 6 should include in the software is to warn the user if trying to run Edit and Updater at the same time. The new installation procedure take care of it but still there looks like situations that you need to use the Updater.

The last comment “I had to close like almost all my apps spotify, and also Logitech G Hub after that it worked fine”. My comment on this is – NEVER EVER have ANY open applications when installing applications, drivers, utilities or what ever on a Windows machine, that is to ask for trouble. A good idea is to also check what is running in the background. For a starter, get eg CClean (or other tool) and under tools check what is auto starting, is all needed and is there anything that can interfere, close it.  

Hope your update can run smoother next time and take advantage of the latest releases. It’s a fantastic toy to play with…

Sorry for a long post…

Take care //Per

2 hours ago, PerS said:

Hi
Jump in here of curiosity… Reason is I see problems described that blames Line6 for buggy software but some of it are more related to PC-problems (a device that is highly depending on the user in what stat it is and need some knowledge to keep in shape for real time applications and what hw/sw installed, isn’t going to get into that know). Some know for years, some form experience. Many of them are described by Line6 power users/gurus so many times. A lot of energy can be lost if barking on the wrong tree instead of directing the energy where problems are.

One comment from DiveBlack on Line6 drivers “… Don’t want to deinstall it because of the buggy Line6 Driver…”. I don’t se any evidence that the Line6 drivers are buggy. By experience however, I have had problems with Logitech applications and software many times. For years I have run their products on the standard win drivers (mouse and keyboard). I hade a BSOD the other week and my conclusion was that the update I made of the G Hub software was the problem. Removing it corrected the problem. If it crashed with the L6 driver or something else, have no idea, but it was after update of that software. 

Two other important parts here is what DunedinDragon said – Use the correct HXEdit-version when you make the update and use an USB-port not shared by anything else. If it fails try another one. But all that are in the Line6 instructions for the update. Maybe can add, try another USB-cable. The one included from Line6 is not that good. One thing I think Line 6 should include in the software is to warn the user if trying to run Edit and Updater at the same time. The new installation procedure take care of it but still there looks like situations that you need to use the Updater.

The last comment “I had to close like almost all my apps spotify, and also Logitech G Hub after that it worked fine”. My comment on this is – NEVER EVER have ANY open applications when installing applications, drivers, utilities or what ever on a Windows machine, that is to ask for trouble. A good idea is to also check what is running in the background. For a starter, get eg CClean (or other tool) and under tools check what is auto starting, is all needed and is there anything that can interfere, close it.  

Hope your update can run smoother next time and take advantage of the latest releases. It’s a fantastic toy to play with…

Sorry for a long post…

Take care //Per

Hi Per,

Thanks for the update.
There is nothing wrong with the Line6 software / hardware or even the drivers. what I found out is that it was interfering with some other applications I had running at that time.

As said I think the Logitech G Hub software is a bigger problem overall (not going to talk about that on a Line6 forum) 

I did read all the instructions before installing the Line6 software and as said closed all the applications I thought needed to be closed but didn't know Logitech G HUB was a problem as well, because it doesn't provide me any sound ( only drivers for mouse and keyboard ) 

What goes for your last statement about "NEVER EVER have ANY open applications when installing applications, drivers utilities or what ever on a windows machine.
This is in my opinion just nonsense (no offense) I work in the IT and we install applications drivers and utilities on a daily basis but never have any problems on windows machines or even servers. it all goes into doing the research on what is compatible with the software and what is not.

My Update went smooth, and I love the latest release it's really nice and I love the presets you can download.

Kind regards,

Wxam

8 minutes ago, Wxam said:

As said I think the Logitech G Hub software is a bigger problem overall .....

Several years ago I had repeated problems with Logitech devices (a USB mouse and a webcam) interfering with my Line 6 devices. I came to the conclusion that Logitech and Line 6 just don’t play well together in Windows. I ditched my Logitech stuff and haven’t routinely had USB connectivity issues since.

1 minute ago, silverhead said:

Several years ago I had repeated problems with Logitech devices (a USB mouse and a webcam) interfering with my Line 6 devices. I came to the conclusion that Logitech and Line 6 just don’t play well together in Windows. I ditched my Logitech stuff and haven’t routinely had USB connectivity issues since.

That's good to hear!
I don't like the new Logitech G HUB, Much prefered the older Logitech Gaming Software it ran smoother, was better in the customization and all. but I've never had any USB issues untill now.
But i'm happy everything is solved, and everything works fine now.

15 minutes ago, Wxam said:

This is in my opinion just nonsense (no offense) I work in the IT and we install applications drivers and utilities on a daily basis but never have any problems on windows machines or even servers. it all goes into doing the research on what is compatible with the software and what is not.

Sorry IT guy.  I call BS.  And one of the biggest pains in communicating with IT staff when you know WTF you are doing and have troubleshot thoroughly is exactly because of your premise: "If it's compatible it always works".  Since the IT folks believe this fallacy the general take is always "well it couldn't be us/our systems so it must be you". 

The more obscure two drivers or apps are; the smaller the userbase, the more likely there may be incompatibilities because they just aren't tested together while still having the 'X' factor of another component on the end users PC being an issue as well. And I would say the userbase for both that Logitech software AND Helix are pretty small relatively.

Been dealing with this since I bought my first PC in '92 and it's the main reason I keep my PC's very clean, and image often.  Fewer glitches and I can back out of bad driver loads etc.. 

17 minutes ago, silverhead said:

I ditched my Logitech stuff and haven’t routinely had USB connectivity issues since.

Silver - Whatever works for you of course, but I wanted to note a consistent practice of mine is to not get hardware that has to have software loaded.  Logitech hardware is pretty rock solid but I quit using their apps over a decade ago.  This is my approach for any branded peripheral etc. I buy.  Avoid required background apps.  I'm using a Logitech mouse, keyboard, joystick and web cam with no apps loaded.  Just the Windows driver for each that loaded and just always seems to work.