Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Would a Mini Helix be something cool?

Nylander88

Something Twice as wide as the HX Stomp (6 fsw plus a designated Tuner/Tempo) and a small expression pedal (w/ toe switch) as much dsp as the helix. New ins that were not on the stomp, Mic in, Variaxe In maybe an aux in.

tell me what you think, this idea hasn't been very much liked on idea scale. Please comment!!!!!

14 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

There's plenty of options between the POD Go and the Helix Rack+Control. There's no reason to make "less footswitches but we added the XLR input and made in two inches shorter" version of the LT. 

Yeah I guess. Some people want the stomp to be a mini helix (which it is not) It's there to expand your board or to be a dual amp thing or whatever. I was just throwing it out there, I personally prefer having analog  pedals and then use the stomp as the back end.  But if you are on a fly date for 1-2 shows it would be nice to have something you can put in a small carry-on and not have to make another board or bring pedals with the stomp.

17 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

So something the size of a POD Go or even smaller?

So basically think of 2 Hx stomps side by side and a small exp pedal. and smush them together side by side, with stuff like a mic pre added. becausfor me a mic pre would help me sooo much.

41 minutes ago, Nylander88 said:

Found the size and it's 20 by 12.

14 1/8" x 9" x 3 1/2" is the POD Go size, 20x12 must be the box? Really the only way to make everyone happy would be to somehow make a bunch of 3" x 5" modules that were either footswitches, displays with DSP, or I/O panels and somehow have them all be interchangeable. Then someone could build a 5 DSP mega helix with 15 switches and 2 EXP pedals and 25 channels of I/O, or someone could build a single DSP micro Helix with minimal I/O and no switching options. As long as the Helix has been out people have been asking for user-specific iterations because they don't need 1 of the FX loops, or the XLR input, or they don't need switches, but they want more DSP, or etc etc etc etc...

There's such a range of stuff with excellent modeling in the HX (now POD) family that I personally think software development is way more important than more hardware versions. A person can always run HX Native and go to town with I/O and switching via USB/MIDI if none of the hardware fits their needs.

9 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

14 1/8" x 9" x 3 1/2" is the POD Go size, 20x12 must be the box? Really the only way to make everyone happy would be to somehow make a bunch of 3" x 5" modules that were either footswitches, displays with DSP, or I/O panels and somehow have them all be interchangeable. Then someone could build a 5 DSP mega helix with 15 switches and 2 EXP pedals and 25 channels of I/O, or someone could build a single DSP micro Helix with minimal I/O and no switching options. As long as the Helix has been out people have been asking for user-specific iterations because they don't need 1 of the FX loops, or the XLR input, or they don't need switches, but they want more DSP, or etc etc etc etc...

There's such a range of stuff with excellent modeling in the HX (now POD) family that I personally think software development is way more important than more hardware versions. A person can always run HX Native and go to town with I/O and switching via USB/MIDI if none of the hardware fits their needs.

Yeah, I just posted here to know why some don't like that idea, you guys have given me some good reasons. the the pod go is a great product I think it's a little too limiting in the software (You have to have an amp or volume or wah (and eq i think) in a patch, but that could change down the line.

57 minutes ago, Nylander88 said:

Yeah, I just posted here to know why some don't like that idea, you guys have given me some good reasons. the the pod go is a great product I think it's a little too limiting in the software (You have to have an amp or volume or wah (and eq i think) in a patch, but that could change down the line.

Essentially you're just asking for a longer thinner Helix LT with an XLR jack, and I don't think doing that while maintaining the DSP capabilities would lead a change in weight or portability other than making whatever case you put it different shaped.

5 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

Essentially you're just asking for a longer thinner Helix LT with an XLR jack, and I don't think doing that while maintaining the DSP capabilities would lead a change in weight or portability other than making whatever case you put it different shaped.

Pretty much, but It's probably never going to happen, Maybe I'll shoot an this to the guys that make the Kemper. lol

10 minutes ago, Nylander88 said:

Pretty much, but It's probably never going to happen, Maybe I'll shoot an this to the guys that make the Kemper. lol

Lol, it took them almost a decade to repackage their tech into a floor controller. Did they ever release an official computer editor?

I don't know, The thing with all the other companies is that none of their stuff look as good as Line 6's stuff, Line 6 looks super easy to operate (for me anyway)  super clean and the black products are awesome! 

9 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

Did they ever release an official computer editor?

6 hours ago, Nylander88 said:

Yeah, I just posted here to know why some don't like that idea

I like the idea a lot.

But I also like the idea of having a Helix with 3 rows of 6 switches (or even 3 rows of 8 switches) and a substantially greater amount of rotary encoders (make that 16), the latter ideally being user configurable - and yet I know it won't happen. I think by now Line 6 is pretty much done with all sizes for anything that could be seen as a member of the "Helix" family. I mean, when you include the POD Go (which is valid IMO), there's now 5 different form factors, so anything else would very likely cannibalize the sale of other family members but still require an entirely new R&D cycle and a differenr manufacturing process to be set up.

I'd guess for any other form factors to come out, it'd take at least a Helix V2.

And fwiw, I would love a modular setup.

• Upvote 1

A mini Helix would rock. But am I the only one who would rather have a MEGA Helix? Like, twice the size. Twice the DSP. Twice the switches. Twice the expression pedals. You get the idea. I want them to make a Helix in every size from tiny to huge. Then I want to buy the biggest one :D

3 hours ago, malhavok said:

A mini Helix would rock. But am I the only one who would rather have a MEGA Helix? Like, twice the size. Twice the DSP. Twice the switches. Twice the expression pedals. You get the idea. I want them to make a Helix in every size from tiny to huge. Then I want to buy the biggest one :D

Yeah, see my previous post. For me it wouldn't necessarily need twice the display but a touch display instead.