Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Steve Vai - Live Tone (Helix, POD Go, HX Stomp)

I got my Steve Vai live tone done for Helix. It is live in Marketplace right now!

I used the new Carvin Legacy Drive model (Legendary Drive in Helix) for this. It took me some time to crack the code to get it sounding just the way I wanted it. It has a very rich sound. The Wet/Dry/Wet signal routing is always something I have fun playing with but don't use a lot myself (since I mostly play mono venues). I've always been at least marginally happy with my dirty lead and rhythm tones but it's the cleans that have always disappointed me. I stoked to the max to have been able to nail these clean tones. Seriously, Helix "floors" me (har har) with the quality and flexibility of tones I am able to get.

I had a blast making this and hope you'll all dig it.

I am also working on versions of this for HX Stomp and POD Go. I'll update here when they are ready!

Update 1:

POD Go preset is now also here! The biggest challenge of making this tone was the fact POD Go does not have the Carvin Legacy Drive model. Being lucky enough to have Helix and POD Go side-by-side gave me the chance to audition and tweak until I could get an amp model that sounded convincing. Check the playlist of videos below and let me know what you think of my effort. POD Go is no joke. I did not feel the need to make any trade-offs bringing this awesome Vai tone.

Update 2:

The HX Stomp preset is live, too. Super happy about this little unit. The Stomp gives a little more wet/dry flexibility with its two paths and the Carvin Legacy Drive model. It also retains the ability to use two different cab or IR on each path which widens the stereo spread a bit. Either way, I think all three of these units are top notch and sound fantastic!

• Like 1

HX Stomp preset is also live. I updated the post above but the video is not done yet. I'm getting behind! I'm going to try to get it done and posted this weekend.

Hang in there everyone. Stay safe. And thanks for all the support!