Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Picking the right speaker for rehearsal/live

MyNameIsCharon

Forgive my ignorance as I am completely new to using amp modelers like this, but I just got a Helix to use with my band and now I need an active FRFR I suppose for rehearsal. I guess my main question is how loud are these things? For instance the laney LFR or the Line 6 powercab. I notice a lot are 1x12 which seems very small from a traditional amplifier standpoint. Will these amps power over drums and all that on stage and in a full volume rehearsal? What should I be looking for in regards to speaker size/wattage?

Well, how loud do you play?  If you want something that can get levels similar to a 50W guitar amp through 2x12 - you should be fine.

If you need to compete with 100w Marshall stacks at full tilt - you might need 2. And then you got stereo!

Honestly it's been so long since I've jammed I'm not really sure how to answer that haha. It's "brutal death metal" so it's gotta be kind of loud just to get over the drums. I don't need to blow anyones ears out. As long as it makes for effective rehearsal i'd be fine. 

Do you have an amp?  If so, you could start using it with 4 cable method first to get a bit more familiar with it before making the next large purchasing decision.  There's lot's of info on doing that but the gist is bypassing your amps pre-amp while using its power section and speaker(s).