Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Please need help choosing the right IR pack

willyjacksonjs22

I second the OwnHammer (r)Evolution pack. They don't really advertise how MANY files come with each speaker. When just looking at the mono 48kHz Left *.wav files, you get over 600 files. Factoring in the 12 speakers equates to 7200 files! I find they sound really good too. I had been using various free IR's but was a little overwhelmed keeping them all straight. This pack comes with a lot of files, but they are well organized and labeled, making it a little easier to find what you're looking for.

Edited by obscurehifi
Posted mid sentence...

The other thing I should mention about the (r)Evolution pack is that they come with various folders in each speaker; 8 mic folders with , mixes, and summary. This allows you to really tailor the sound.

image.png.9c1a16ff3d43c0650b8b40e1b57f1281.png

I really like the Summary and Mixes folders. I started by pulling the "standard" file from each speakers Summary folder and uploading the files to my Helix Floor. I then used 8 snapshots to switch between the 8 main speakers while playing. This really allows you to hear the difference between them. Once I picked my two favorites, I then uploaded the Mixes folder contents to my helix. There's 60 in each, so can upload all of the mixes for two speakers. The mixes folder includes mixes that have different names eq's like; 599, all, balanced, beef, big, bold, brown, chunk, classic, cut, dense, earth, even, fat, fire, forward, full, grit, hair, hard, iron, lean modern, olde, paradox, pocket, rip, scoop, scream, smoke, thick, vintage, and warm. Some of them have up to four each, like modern1, modern2, and so on.

The total amount of files is overkill for my purposes but I think picking your top two speakers and uploading the mixes folders for each could give most casual users like me everything they need to stay entertained.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, obscurehifi said:

The other thing I should mention about the (r)Evolution pack is that they come with various folders in each speaker; 8 mic folders with , mixes, and summary. This allows you to really tailor the sound.

image.png.9c1a16ff3d43c0650b8b40e1b57f1281.png

I really like the Summary and Mixes folders. I started by pulling the "standard" file from each speakers Summary folder and uploading the files to my Helix Floor. I then used 8 snapshots to switch between the 8 main speakers while playing. This really allows you to hear the difference between them. Once I picked my two favorites, I then uploaded the Mixes folder contents to my helix. There's 60 in each, so can upload all of the mixes for two speakers. The mixes folder includes mixes that have different names eq's like; 599, all, balanced, beef, big, bold, brown, chunk, classic, cut, dense, earth, even, fat, fire, forward, full, grit, hair, hard, iron, lean modern, olde, paradox, pocket, rip, scoop, scream, smoke, thick, vintage, and warm. Some of them have up to four each, like modern1, modern2, and so on.

The total amount of files is overkill for my purposes but I think picking your top two speakers and uploading the mixes folders for each could give most casual users like me everything they need to stay entertained.

Wow that’s allot of files. I will like to look inside to see why all that is needed because it looks complicated.

im looking at Redwirez irs and looks more simple.

2 hours ago, jorgealberto25 said:

Wow that’s allot of files. I will like to look inside to see why all that is needed because it looks complicated.

im looking at Redwirez irs and looks more simple.

I think you're going to get that with Redwirez too. They say with each speaker, you get 14 microphones, 6 positions, and 9 distances. That alone is 756 files per speaker. They don't mention any custom equalizing like you get with (r)Evolution, or at least I didn't see it mentioned. What Redwirez gives you seems to be similar to the built in helix cabs, where you can change the microphones and distances. Same sort of tuning except you need a ton of files for each speaker and mic. That gets overwhelming to me actually.

(r)Evolution does it differently and I'm glad they do. Rather than having to choose mic placement (center, edge, off axis) combined with distance in inches to find the sound you want; they give you eq'd mixes with descriptions. For example, this is what is in the Mic folder and you don't have to worry about distances.

image.png.0fac15f19d1c0b797acf9f9e292bb1cd.png

Under the Mix folder, you get the list I described earlier, brown, chunk, modern, etc.

For each speaker, they also give you a really simple Summary folder with BRight, DarK, Midrange-, Midrange+, Soft Shelves, Tight1, Tight 2, and Summary. So for all 12 speakers, you can have 8 Summary files, make you only need to copy 96 files onto your helix. That's pretty simple actually.

image.png.1fb6561c59f4ce2c896c953fa1c67dc7.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Ownhammer Evolution pack is indeed a great IR collection. It was my new favorite until I purchased and replaced all of my OH IR's with David Hislop's Greenback IR's. They are close but there is just some detail in the mids and slightly clearer high's with these. It's subtle but is closer to a mic'd cab to my ears. It's the only pack that I've purchased other than the Fender Prosonic IR that came with his Helix pack, and I'm using that one for fender deluxe patches too. I do intend to buy at least one more speaker pack. His IR's are really good!

https://www.davidhislop.co/product-page/greenback

https://www.davidhislop.co/impulse-responses

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys I’ll think about and see what I purchase. Every since I tried an Ir, the sound got fuller and the response to my playing feels better. went back and forth trying the stock cabs and idk something doesn’t feel right. So i don’t how some people enjoy them. Maybe the dual cab option? I’m going to try that and see.

Sometimes I wish the process of auditioning cabs in Helix was better. It always feels quite cumbersome.

You need to limit time auditioning cabs to short bursts, or you are not objective after a short time. I go for one folder at a time and make quick decisions about which ones to discard and bring down the selection to a manageable level. Most libraries are massive and there are no short cuts to right IR, but a Helix improves with them.

Most Ownhammer libraries are good and another one to look at for all styles are York Audio.

• Upvote 1

I agree on the (r)Evolution pack. That pack offers also some mixes and I like in particular the Orange 412/ Mesa Boogie 412 combination for modern high gain. That said the two Marshall cabs I use a lot more for rock/ hardrock stuff (I don't play a lot of metal). If I recall correctly there's also a few free impulses available from Ownhammer which should work for high gain tones. 

That said, if you split the signal into two stock cabs and run each of them with a different mic and use 30-50% of early reflections on at least one of them you should be able to get a very good high gain tone. For example use the same cab and mic one with a R121 or 160 ribbon mic pulled back 3-5" and the other one with a 57 or 421 as close as possible. Use the A/B routing to go anywhere from very dark (ribbon) to bright and in-your-face (dynamic). Or if you want to add in more variables use two different stock cabinets.

True, the internal cabs will never sound the same as the impulses, but that's not what counts ... 

My problem is actually in the vast amount of possibilities .... I should spend more time practicing/ playing and less with goofing around with this great piece of gear ;-) 

• Upvote 1

Fwiw, I won't recommend any specific IR pack (personally, I'm absolutely happy with the Redwirez Big Pack I purchased somewhat around 10 years ago), but once you go for a larger pack, IMO it's absolutely crucial to find some ways to quickly scroll through IRs. Your DAW (in case you use one, which I highly recommend) and a decent IR loading plugin are your best friends here. The IR loading plugin should offer an easy way to take you at least through one folder of IRs quickly (using some arrow buttons or so) and ideally you should be able to load more than one IR at a time for easier comparison (or mixing purposes, maybe more on that later...).

You could now record a take without any cab stuff (you can still monitor with a cab inside the Helix but set a split to a USB output pair placed before the cab) and go through a whole bunch of IRs without having to play.

I would now mark these IRs and copy them to a personal favourite folder. Once you have a plenty of them collected, drag them into adjacent IR slots in the Helix (ever since firmware 2.9 you can re-order IRs as much as you like without breaking other patches, making maneuvers such as this a piece of cake). Now, once your favourites are inside the Helix, use pedal mode and go through them using the +/- switches. This allows you to quickly go through a lot of IRs and actually experience how they feel under your fingertips.

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2020 at 8:27 AM, jorgealberto25 said:

which company/brand of IRS with a worthy package do you guys recommend? For all styles of music. Specially metal because actually I do notice the difference in high gain territory. Anyone else does? 

If you can drive a DAW and plugins, start with Redwirez MixIR3 and the big box. You get the entirety of the big box, which is enough on its own, but any IRs you get later, you can run through Mix IR3 to trim/EQ/mix/blend, and then you can print your own new IR from that mix, either LR stereo, or mono, at custom IR length from 2000 ms to 0 ms. There's infinite shades of tonal variation when you get to mixing and trimming and EQing IRs, a pack of 20 only lets you work with the mic positions the product owner used, plus you never own the IR, you're just licensed to use it. With MixIR3 you can tweak it just how you like it, then print your own IRs to suit your needs. 

• Upvote 1

I had good luck with MBritt's Helix presets package, which also contains his 30 blended IRs. Different concept here -- you get his few IRs of choice as opposed to a large collection of IRs. Less options, but quicker auditioning. These work well live, as they have a lot of mids.

• 2 years later...
On 6/3/2020 at 7:02 AM, SaschaFranck said:

In case you've got some time on your hands, you could learn how to manipulate and mix IRs (in ways exceeding the MixIR software by a fair margin). I'd happily supply a "how to".

I know this quite the necro....but....I'm currently sitting with MixIR3 in a cart and would love to get this "how to" if you are still around to give it.