Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Stereo Setup, can't seem to get it correct

tewandrayk

Recently picked up an HX Effects and I love it when using one amp, but I run a stereo rig... I've currently got it wired to the following: https://i.imgur.com/vIqbQ2P.png

If I have an effect after the FX Loop the right amp effects will play through the left amps effects loop bypassing the preamp and will be much louder. If I wire it to the 7CM shown on the Line6 HX Effects manual (swapping the right amp's output and return cable) it will cause a no sound condition. I'm at a loss at what to do. I've tried splitting the FX Loop and panning left/right and this works until I add a stereo block (such as Searchlights Stereo Reverb) after the hard pans and it completely bypasses pans and causes it to get extremely loud. I've tried splitting the FX Loop to Send and Return with Returns as 1/2 hard panned to left/right and it has no affect. Any advice? I'm at a loss and leaning towards returning it out of frustration.

OK, I don't have an HXFX (Floor and Stomp), but since none of the HXFX guys are responding, I'll take a crack at it. That usually inspires somebody who knows better to jump in. We'll see.

Your wiring looks fine. Instead of using a stereo FX Loop, use two MONO FX Loops. Pull one down to create a parallel path - FX Loop 1 on Path A (left amp) and FX Loop 2 on Path B (right Amp). At the Split AND at the Mixer, Pan Path A hard Left and Pan Path B hard Right. Use only Stereo Effects after that.

Thanks for the advice. I had a signal chain set up like you recommended previously and that's about the only method I could use to get the loops working somewhat properly. However when I enable the last reverb in the chain (Stereo Searchlights) the volume of my second amp jumps up about 4 times. The other issue with this you're now using twice the amount of blocks for any effects you have on after the loop.

sMjUT3n.png

19 minutes ago, tewandrayk said:

The other issue with this you're now using twice the amount of blocks for any effects you have on after the loop.

That's only true if you use MONO effects. Path A panned Left (and Path B panned Right) at both Split and Mixer completely isolates the two paths, and stereo effects after the Mixer remain isolated. However, if you want different effects on each amp then yes, of course that would be true.

28 minutes ago, tewandrayk said:

However when I enable the last reverb in the chain (Stereo Searchlights) the volume of my second amp jumps up about 4 times.

If only one of the amps is changing, then you're either missing something in the panning levels or there's something happening with the effects you're using specifically on that path. Have a look at the Mix parameters in devices that come before that reverb. In either case, you could just set it up so that when you activate the second reverb you compensate with a level setting somewhere in that path. The joy of being able to assign more than one device parameter to a single switch or snapshot.

6 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If only one of the amps is changing, then you're either missing something in the panning levels or there's something happening with the effects you're using specifically on that path. Have a look at the Mix parameters in devices that come before that reverb. In either case, you could just set it up so that when you activate the second reverb you compensate with a level setting somewhere in that path. The joy of being able to assign more than one device parameter to a single switch or snapshot.

The first amp is changing based off of the second amp. If I turn the second amp to standby or off the effect works perfectly and proper levels.

I appreciate the efforts but I've got it boxed up to go back, I've spent a day and a half troubleshooting it to no avail before reaching out for support and just don't feel like dumping more time into it. I was able to determine a few more pedals that I'd regularly use so it's not all for waste. (Tube screamer, boost, fuzz, stereo reverb)