clfnole123

Help trying to achieve a tone

Sorry if this might be a newbie post (just recently got back into playing after stopping as a kid, better late than never I guess) but I was playing around with Alive by Pearl Jam and trying to get the tone for the main riff that I believe Stone Gossard plays.  I did some research on his equipment and it seems like he played with (if I understand this correctly) a Marshall JPM amp and a Fender Bassman cabinet.  Do a lot of musicians mix things like that?  I just figured if the amp was Marshall the cabinet might be the same and vice versa if it was Fender or some other brand.  

Also when building a tone do you start clean and get the distortion from a pedal effect or is it a combination of some distortion with the amp in conjunction with the pedal?  I tried a couple of the custom tones but they sounded a bit off so wanted to see if I could get something close on my own.  Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks in advance. 

Tone matching is always a challenge.   Downloading a patch almost always sounds different because the person creating the patch uses a different guitar, pickups, room setup etc.

When building the patch, I would start out with the amp with the default cab and tweak the gain and tone knobs till it is faily close.  You may want to try different Marshall variants of which there are a lot on Spider V.   Then try different cabinets and microphones until you find something you think is closest.  It could be that the artist sets the gain on the amp model to edge of breakup and throws a distortion or overdrive pedal in front of it.  The combinations are a bit overwhelming.  

It's never going to be an exact match. 

1 minute ago, bobcoss said:

Tone matching is always a challenge.   Downloading a patch almost always sounds different because the person creating the patch uses a different guitar, pickups, room setup etc.

When building the patch, I would start out with the amp with the default cab and tweak the gain and tone knobs till it is faily close.  You may want to try different Marshall variants of which there are a lot on Spider V.   Then try different cabinets and microphones until you find something you think is closest.  It could be that the artist sets the gain on the amp model to edge of breakup and throws a distortion or overdrive pedal in front of it.  The combinations are a bit overwhelming.  

It's never going to be an exact match. 

I figured it would be challenging.  Ah didn't realize you could also change mics, will definitely play with that.  So you don't think mix/matching the amp and cabinet is a good idea?  Only reason I tried was when I researched their gear it seemed that was what they were doing so was thinking why not try to copy/model it close as possible but perhaps that is not the best approach.

If you haven't updated already, you should really update to version 2.0. Try using the classic mode which will get you closer to the sound of a regular guitar amp, rather than a FRFR system. There aren't much or cab models in the new classic mode.

I would personally sift through the presets and find a tone that is close to your desired tone. I would turn off the effect and use the tone controls of the amp to tailor the basic tone. Then add effects to taste.

14 minutes ago, gtrman100 said:

If you haven't updated already, you should really update to version 2.0. Try using the classic mode which will get you closer to the sound of a regular guitar amp, rather than a FRFR system. There aren't much or cab models in the new classic mode.

I would personally sift through the presets and find a tone that is close to your desired tone. I would turn off the effect and use the tone controls of the amp to tailor the basic tone. Then add effects to taste.

Yes all up to date with firmware. I have played around switching the amps between Classic and Full Range as well. Guess it’s just more trial and error. 

I do think it's worthwhile to mix/match amp models, cabinets and mics is a whorthwhile endeavor.  The problem is that matching a guitarists recorded tone is challenging.    Among the challenges are the post processing that studios do after recording, and the quality of the headphones/speakers used to reproduce the song.

Spider V has a lot of flexibility, but you might need to add pedals or try a different modeling system to get what you are looking for.

Set your expectations to get "close" enough to be happy and just play guitar!

1 hour ago, bobcoss said:

Set your expectations to get "close" enough to be happy and just play guitar!

I came to this conclusion and was wasting time I should be using for practicing and playing. It’s not like I am a sound engineer plus i need all the practice I can get. Appreciate the comments.