Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I just want to make sure I'm doing I.R.'s correctly...

Lone_Poor_Boy

This is the first time I've worked with I.R.'s.

I dropped in these M.Britt IR's (MB) to go along with his presets and expected them to show up under the word 'Mono' where IR 1024 and IR 2048 are, because that's kinda how most things are displayed on the right when you select something on the left.  And after much confusion I saw they adjusted via the 'IR Select' slider.

Is this the way IR's work on the Helix?  The MB name circled to our right in the screenshot is the correct one for that preset.

Is 1024 and 2048 a reference to their sound quality/the way they are processed?

6jf4y2xnvd251.jpg

1024/2048 refers to the length of the IR. It's generally thought that the audio information contained in the longer IR contributes little to the the sound. 2048 also uses more resources (DSP). Get your headphones. Try one of each, on a clean amp and a high gain amp. What do you think? Is it worth the extra DSP?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Excellent explanation from rd2rk. I'll add that for some IRs there will be zero difference between 2048 and 1024. As noted, the number refers to the number of samples of convolution that will be applied. If the IR is 1024 or fewer samples in length, then applying it at 2048 will result in zero difference of sound. I always use 1024 in order to allow maximum DSP flexibility of other blocks. Also, you can't do two 2048 IR without splitting to path 1 and path 2 because that's how the unit is written to work. Let your ears guide you and use whichever length you actually hear a better sound from and find the most utility with.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1