Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Splitting Guitar Signal

d_sic3

Hello.  I just want to throw this question out there.

Can I use a Y splitter to route my direct guitar signal into two modelers?  Aside from HX Stomp, I also have the old Axe Fx Ultra.

I' thinking of splitting the signal before it hits the input of these modelers.

I've read there are some hum and phase cancellation going on if you do that, but those are for real amps.

Thank for your help.

You'll still get phase issues if the delay introduced by the two paths isn't exactly the same - which is likely. You can try to adjust for this using a delay, but you'll have to judge whether it works for you. Maybe you'll actually like the effect.

I'd buffer the signal before the split, as you'll change the impedance seen by the modelers by splitting. And if you're summing the signals afterward, use a mixer of some kind, not just a Y cable.

Hi

I'm no expert - but might be worth considering putting one modeller in the loop of the other - should be possible to get more control of whether you hear, one, the other, or both?

Happy experimenting!

1 hour ago, jester700 said:

You'll still get phase issues if the delay introduced by the two paths isn't exactly the same - which is likely. You can try to adjust for this using a delay, but you'll have to judge whether it works for you. Maybe you'll actually like the effect.

I'd buffer the signal before the split, as you'll change the impedance seen by the modelers by splitting. And if you're summing the signals afterward, use a mixer of some kind, not just a Y cable.

Thanks.  This is good info.

I am trying to setup a wet/dry/wet signal.

Axe Fx as the dry signal (no effects, using the same amp in the stomp).

Stomp as wet signal will have the delays and reverb and will be panned L and R.

Both modelers will go to a mixer.

32 minutes ago, mrkphpps said:

Hi

I'm no expert - but might be worth considering putting one modeller in the loop of the other - should be possible to get more control of whether you hear, one, the other, or both?

Happy experimenting!

That is also worth a try.  But I am trying to do the wet/dry/wet kind of setup. 

Fwiw, in case you're using sufficiently different amp sounds, phase issues are extremely unlikely to happen. But I'd likely use a dedicated, buffered splitter box for such adventures, maybe even one allowing to switch between A/B/both. I think Lehle makes a highly recommended one.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 8:34 AM, d_sic3 said:

I am trying to setup a wet/dry/wet signal.

Axe Fx as the dry signal (no effects, using the same amp in the stomp).

Stomp as wet signal will have the delays and reverb and will be panned L and R.

Both modelers will go to a mixer.

In that case, phase won't be an issue. It's the mixing back together of the dry sound that would cause any issues, which won't happen in your scenario. As always, let your ears decide.

• Like 1

I've never had an issue using my Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner as a splitter, using both 'Output' and 'Bypass'.  Of course 'Bypass' won't be silenced when you press the pedal like 'Output' does.  It may not be perfect but it's easy enough to experiment with if you have one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

I've never had an issue using my Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner as a splitter, using both 'Output' and 'Bypass'.  Of course 'Bypass' won't be silenced when you press the pedal like 'Output' does.  It may not be perfect but it's easy enough to experiment with if you have one.

Yeah, Boss pedals make up for decent buffered splitters. Personally, I used to use my Whammy II, which has an excellent buffer IMO.