Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd400 Sound Problem (barely Uses Cab Sim?)

yagoaux

Hi, recently I've bought POD 400.
From the first time I ve turn on it I was dissapointed. I thought that was just because of factory presets. Tried to do my own presets, based on others from customtone, or doing it from zero with no change. It sound harshy, flat and digital ( too much digital for sure). I was experimenting a lot to find out what is the problem. The only thing I came to is issue with modeling of POD. I tried to record it in the Reaper (POD's Cab sim turned off) and it came to me that adding Cab sim as external FX (LePou+Impulses) almost solves the problem. It sounds pretty good when done so. Whithout any external help it sounds like its cab'd only a bit. Tried few version of Flash memory, and few times the latest one, still nothing have changed. Can someone tell me what to do with that? I bought it not to use POD + external impulses it was meant to be standalone unit for me.

To be sure that u dont get it like "oh he is just dissapointed how POD cabs sim sounds" - im sure its not the point.

I'm also thinking about changing the output mode ( Studio/Live ), what should it do? I have studied manual precisely, and the only thing important to me is mic sim turned on in studio mode/ off in live, but ... it seems to not work for me. I dont hear any change while being in studio or live mode, should I hear it? Should the LIVE setup ( 4 options where I can plug POD, 2 for combo and 2 for head) work also with STUDIO mode? Or should it change sound only im LIVE mode ( what would be most natural in my opinion) ?
In addition to this changing mic doesnt change much ( if change anything) in overall sound ( as is should when I change types of mic).
So my conclusion is that the something is wrong with cab modeling or output mode switch, or switch failure leads to wrong cab sim.
Help me please cause i dont want to send back my POD i really like it, even love it if it would work as it should.

PS. I found 1 thread about same flat and harshy sound. Still it was not solved, probably user sold his unit. Done everything that others told him when trying to fix that with no effect.

If needed I will post few soundchecks.

I hope u dont mind me if i bump it by posting records of my problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/auokuv97dm5xcl9/pd%20cab.mp3

for me player doesnt work so https://www.dropbox.com/s/auokuv97dm5xcl9/pd%20cab. mp3 paste it wthout space before " mp3"

The first 3 samples are 2 cabs sim with best preset 3rd without Cab ( still sound awful overall )
The 4th sample is without POD's cab sim + LePou impulse ( not the best but acceptable)
5th and 6th - changed mic, 1st SM 57 on axis second 87 Cond.
Everything recorded via USB in Reaper. Full amp ( not preamp), California treadplate with compressor; Studio mode. EMG 85/81 ( nothing change in passives)

Even if u dont know what's the problem please answer me question about Studio/Live outputs, should I hear noticable difference ( probably all of you here have PODs HD so to check it is a matter of few seconds, please!) Just to say, on my unit it doesnt change anything.
Checked on two guitars and two cabels just in case.

I have the same sound if I leave the output mode on live or I don't use cab sims

You should hear noticable difference, when I left it ot live when connecting on USB sounded the same like yours, switched to studio/direct problem solved.

http://www.filedropper.com/podtest7

This is how it should sound.....not a perfect tone, but you get the idea

It certainly sounds like you are in Live mode the whole time - especially if adding a cab IR externally makes it sound OK, as that mode would obviously be going into a real external cab in a live scenario.

Have you tried listening through headphones? This should give you the full amp modelled sound.

Sounds like you may have a fault and need to return the unit.

However, before doing that I would give the Studio/Live switch a good workout. Just switch it firmly back and forth a few dozen times and see if it comes back to life.