Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Factory presets and firmware updates

YammerUK

Hopefully a quick and easy answer to these. I've tried search, but I must be using the wrong words...

I'm guessing the new amp/effects models which come with some firmware updates would be accompanied by the occasional new factory preset. Are the factory presets ever updated?

Whenever you update the Helix firmware, what happens to the working (factory installed) presets/setlists? Are they updated?

If the factory presets/setlists are not affected by firmware updates, do you have to backup your custom setlists, and do a factory reset with factory presets to see any new ones?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Yes, factory presets are sometimes but not always update in new firmware.

The firmware update process does not install the new factory updates; it leaves all presets in the device as they were.

Yes you should back up your custom setlists before doing a firmware update. To see any new factory updates you would do as you suggest - perform a factory reset and then import your non-factory custom setlists individually. For reset options see:

• Thanks 1

Awesome. That answers my questions perfectly. That's what I've been doing, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary. I didn't bother with the full reset for the latest update, and there's this nagging feeling that I might be missing out on changes to the factory presets.

19 minutes ago, YammerUK said:

...there's this nagging feeling that I might be missing out on changes to the factory presets.

Believe me, you're not missing anything. As wonderful as Helix is...I'll be diplomatic... the factory presets are somewhat less than inspirational. Oh the hell with it, all factory presets suck. It's the nature of the beast. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

Oh the hell with it, all factory presets suck.

Now every time I post that remark, I seem to attract nothing but trouble. Even when I give it as a direct quote from Digital Igloo, just the same! That's the way it goes.   ;-)

6 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Now every time I post that remark, I seem to attract nothing but trouble. Even when I give it as a direct quote from Digital Igloo, just the same! That's the way it goes.   ;-)

Who knows, man...I have no trouble getting exactly what I want from this device, but other guys' patches are 100% useless to me. Factory presets, free Customtone stuff, even some of the oft- praised paid ones that I bought just out of curiosity. All garbage without significant editing. Maybe it's me...

• Like 1