Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax layered sounds through Helix

stugatzo

Just upgraded to a Helix floor.

Trying to recreate something i was able to do with the POD HD500X...that is create a patch using both the magnetic pickups and the models in the guitar.

Ideally I'd have one signal path running the MAGS through an amp and a couple of effects.

On the other path is an acoustic model running through a chorus and reverb.

Then I want to be able to use the expression pedal to blend the mag path in and out of the acoustic path.

So with the expression pedal all the way up or down, it would be the acoustic model, then as i move the pedal, the mag channel mixes in so i can control the amount of mag sound that gets mixed in.

Thoughts??

And Thanks!

Use a dual path preset. Set the Input block for Path 2 to Variax Mags, and for Path 1 to Variax, with the desired Variax Acoustic model specified. Place a VOL block at the beginning of each Path. Assign both Vol blocks to the same EXP pedal. Define the min/max positions for each pedal in opposite directions (I.e. one pedal has Min=0, Max=100 while the other is the reverse).

EDIT: Attached is a preset that I think does exactly what you want. It's designed for a song named Aqualung by Jethro Tull way back in the '70s I think. It switches from electric guitar to acoustic with alternate tuning for Capo 3,  based on EXP 2.  Credit where due: I believe I downloaded this from Customtone at some point and then tweaked it. Unfortunately I have lost any record of the original designer but he/she deserves credit!

Note: I haven't gotten around to it but the attached preset should be edited to either remove the alternate tuning or use a footswitch rather than the expression pedal to move from electric to acoustic guitar. Currently the pedal blends the two guitars, which won't sound good at anything other than full heel/toe position since both guitars are in standard tuning but one is using a capo at the 3rd fret.

Aqualung.hlx

• Like 2