Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting hx stomp and looper to effects loop

iamfromhelldude

Hi dudes, I’ve just purchased an Hx stomp and have had it running successfully with the 4CM with my Rc-30 looper in the chain. I would like to use the direct in method so I can make use of the Helix’s preamp settings instead of my Katana but I cant seem to integrate my looper into the mix as they both need to be connected to the return on my effect loop to work. I know it probably is something so simple and minor to remedy but my brain for some reason has left the building. Please someone help me before I explode 

14 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

You have TWO FX Loops......maybe if you described EXACTLY how you have it configured, and what you want to change?

Thanks for the reply mate, so to be exact I have my guitar plugged into the input of the stomp then my output from L/mono into the return effect loop of my Katana 100 and that’s it. What I’d like to do is add my rc-30 into that chain so I can use the looper with my Hx stomp but I’m struggling to patch it together. Hope that better describes my problem and I hope I don’t look too dumb haha. 

also it’s a mk1 katana so it does not have the power amp input. 

Take a 1/4" shielded cable from the Stomp's FX Send to the RC30 Input, another from the The RC30 Output to the Stomp L/MONO Return. Then put a "FX Loop L" Block in the signal chain where you want the RC30. That's it. Leave the rest of your wiring as is. If you want to mix the level of the RC30 and your guitar just pull the FX Loop Block down into a parallel path and adjust the levels at the Mixer Block (dot).

Is this the only way of doing it?! It sucks! It won’t let me record any new parts and it’s ruined the functionality of my looper and if I want to use a preset I have to add an fx loop into the signal chain. Surely there’s a way to connect it so it’s the same as connecting it to any other pedal?! 

I don't get what you mean that it won't let you record any new parts? The signal goes from your guitar into the Stomp, out to the RC30, back to the Stomp, then out to the Katana.

To record new parts you press the proper buttons on the RC30 at the proper times.

If what you mean is that when you want to record a new part with a different preset that you have to set up with an FX Loop like the first one, well, yeah, that's how it works. 

You COULD (using only MONO effects) use a proper external mixer, like a cheapie Behringer Onyx502. Send the L/MONO from the stomp to one channel, and the Right out through  the RC30 to another channel, then on the mixer pan both channels to one side and take that out to the Katana. That way you could use any (MONO) preset you want on the Stomp.

I followed what you said and have sound coming out from pre existing recordings but when I try and do one now I’m not getting any playback. I think at this point the question I need to be asking is with the 4 cable method (which my looper worked fine in) is there a way I can still use the amps etc built into the stomp?

To replace the Katana Pre with a Stomp amp/pre, just set the Loop and Amp blocks to the same footswitch, saved one ON one OFF. If this interferes with the RC30, then put it on the other loop. It'll still output from the 1/4" L/MONO connected to the Katana FX Return.

7 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

To replace the Katana Pre with a Stomp amp/pre, just set the Loop and Amp blocks to the same footswitch, saved one ON one OFF.

In case that wasn't clear, it creates a Toggle between the Katana Pre and the Stomp Pre/Amp.

You are a god send man thank you so much. I’ve had a bit more of a play around and I think I’m going to take the rc30 out completely and use my Logic Pro instead because it works a lot smoother now I’m running the hx. Truly thank you for your patience and help dude if anything I’ve learnt a bit more about how it all works!