Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My solution for GX/UX2/UX8 distorted sound on Win10

Gentlemen,

I was getting distorted sound on my GX, UX2, and UX8 that so many others have described in this forum using Win 10 and a Cherry Trail tablet. It would seem to play at the wrong sample rate and sounded like some bad 8-bit Atari video game noise. This may apply to those with a Surface tablet too.

In my case the problem was with the Microsoft Driver for the "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller".

Unfortunately Intel discontinued drivers and let Microsoft take over since Win 8.

I downloaded the Intel driver 5.0.4.43_v2 for Windows 7, disabled driver signing and edited the .inf to make it work with Win10.

After installing the old Intel drivers my Line 6 devices are working properly even through external USB hubs.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 5:02 AM, Dune_uk said:

I’m having a similar problem, can you share the driver? 

Before attempting this procedure make sure that you have this same controller on your system.

1. Open Device Manager and expand "Sound, video and game controllers"
  2. Highlight the Line 6 device
  3. At the top of Device Manager in the "View" menu select "Devices by connection"

This will show you a tree where your USB device is connected so you can find your USB Controller. For me the tree was:

ACPI x64-based PC

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

PCI Express Root Complex

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller

The driver can be found at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Intel-8-9-100-Series-and-Intel-C220-C610-Chipset-Family

After extracting you will want to edit iusb3hub.inf and iusb3xhc.inf (located in \Drivers\Win7\x64 if you're on 64-bit) as follows:

Replace this text

[Manufacturer]
Intel(R) Corporation = Intel, NTAMD64.6.1, NTAMD64.6.2

[Intel.NTAMD64.6.2] 

With this

[Manufacturer]
Intel(R) Corporation = Intel, NTAMD64.6.1

Then restart with the Disable Driver Signature Enforcement option (hold shift when selecting restart/Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Startup Settings/Restart/Option 7)

Manually install the driver in device manager (right click Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller/Update driver/Browse my computer for driver software/Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer/Have Disk...)

Let us know how that goes or post your USB Controller if it's different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

So I'm dealing with this issue right now. I just upgraded to Windows 11 5 days ago and before that, everything worked fine on my end. Now, audacity records slowly (i.e 1 second in audacity takes 4-5 seconds in real life), and the audio comes out extremely distorted, and as you described, like Atari levels of pixellation, as well as high pitched.  

I won't deny I'm not a computer whiz, but I've tried taking this "x64.7z" you posted here on Jan 19, 2022, and then tried following your steps. All seemed fine until:

Manually install the driver in device manager (right click Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller/Update driver/Browse my computer for driver software/Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer/Have Disk...) 

this part. When I chose "Have Disk", it only gave me the option to select one single file within the x64 folder you provided. Upon choosing one, it then warned me that this file may make my entire computer malfunction, which is the last thing I need right now. Can you possible add any more clarification to help out? My work-from-home voice studio is banking on this and until I get this fixed, I am screwed. Any help is immensely appreciated.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello,

Thanks for the info, that sounds exactly like the problem I am having now. I recently bought a whole new desktop computer and installed windows 11. I installed the latest line 6 driver and monkey but the sound is very distorted. Played a bit with the sample rate but still horrible. 

Now if I look in device manager I see I have the:

Intel USB 3.20 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.20 (Microsoft) driver installed. (from 18-10-2023).

Do you perhaps know where I can find the one for this particularly driver? Also I am wondering if this may harm other USB related devices, so perhaps I will just switch to a Windows 11 appropriate device, but I always loved my Toneport UX2 so I would rather use that haha

Anyway thanks in advance and hopefully they can perhaps fix this with a new driver!

• 2 months later...

I also have this issue, both on w11 and w10 after I changed my motherboard to MSIZ790 Gaming Plus WiFi.

image.png

I will return the mobo and try another model if nobody have an answert to this anoying issue. (my son on a MSI PRO B760M-P DDR4 does not have this issue, also, a Scarlet 6i6 is working ok).