Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Custom Tunings

spindlebox

There’s 10 slots on the tuning knob that you can set up with whatever tuning you want. Beyond that, though, you can store a custom tuning with each model in Workbench HD if you want. And then, further beyond that, if you’re using it with the Helix or an HD series POD, you can have the Variax tuning controlled by the presets in those devices. So really, the answer is kind of as many as you need, depending on how you want to use it.

11 hours ago, Steve_roberts said:

Forget snapshots, I can't get it to change the tuning at all. I've resort to pitch modulators, that's no good. I'm using a normal guitar. Is that the issue?

Minus a Variax, the only solution is a polyphonic pitch shifter like the Digitech Drop. As you've already discovered, Helix's pitch shifting algorithms are not polyphonic and cannot reliably shift more than one note at a time, which makes them useless for chords. They are intended for creating harmony parts for single-note lines.

2 hours ago, spindlebox said:
  • I'm sure there's a way to transpose a half step down

Yes and no...see reply above. Helix pitch shifting is not polyphonic. You can pitch shift single notes, not multiple notes simultaneously, so trying to drop the entire guitar a half-step currently requires an external device capable of polyphonic shifting, such as the one you mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 3:49 AM, spindlebox said:

Interested in the Standard Variax, but I'm sure this covers all models.  How many custom tunings can you store in the guitar?

Thank you!

10 custom and you can change the original tunings on the knobs like open G or DADGAD ,you can change this with your own

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 3:49 AM, spindlebox said:

Interested in the Standard Variax, but I'm sure this covers all models.  How many custom tunings can you store in the guitar?

Thank you!

Correction !

You save in theory 70 differents tuning !

You have 10 custom and you can save tuning for each presets

But I don't know the capacity of the internal memory!

But I can have 5 diiferent tuning on Spank Bank, 5 other on Lester Bank etc....

21 minutes ago, spindlebox said:

WOW.  Thanks!

OK, here's ANOTHER question.  If I didn't like the pickups, can I change them out, or are they part of the tuning apparatus?

No, the magnetic pickups are nothing to do with the models !

Just if you want to make a Blend, a blend is a mix that you can adjust between the model and the magnetics, but I think it's working with other pickups!

To swap this out , I cannot help you!

The models and tuning depends of the "piezo" into the bridge

21 minutes ago, Punkyboy said:

No, the magnetic pickups are nothing to do with the models !

Just if you want to make a Blend, a blend is a mix that you can adjust between the model and the magnetics, but I think it's working with other pickups!

To swap this out , I cannot help you!

The models and tuning depends of the "piezo" into the bridge

So I am a bit confused.  

You are saying that the magnetic pickups (which happen to be Vintage Alnico V Single-coil) are just regular pickups, and they are not part of the tuning process?  If so, this means you could definitely use any other pickups in the guitar.

Yes, other magnetic pick-ups.

Certain things to follow,...

1) The DC resistance (DCR) specification of the pick-up needs to be between 6k and 8k Ohms, or the EQ tone will be 

too dark or too bright.

2) Wiring needs to be according to the wiring diagrams in the Line 6 Knowledge Base.

3) No active circuit pick-ups with other batteries. That and the Line 6 VDI or Battery supply will not be compatible. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, romared403 said:

well this is confusing for me too. any alternate solution to this ?

Yes...in all seriousness, don't bother trying to replace the mag pickups in this guitar. Lots of funky electronics in there... nothing looks like what you're used to seeing under the hood. Can it be done? Yes, but it's really not worth the hassel. We all bought these things for the modeling anyway... if you're in love a particular set of mag pickups, put them in another conventional guitar.