Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tubemeister 18 4cm Advice

Chimera1to1

Got a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 head and hooked up as the description of the 4cm.by jimreynolds.

Running a Pod HD Pro for fx.

Send and return levels set as advised on the Pod but found I had to turn mix down to zero because of noise. With the pod in the fx loop the tone controls weren't working on the tube sister. If I swapped in just a Bad monkey tone controls work OK.

Could this be down to impedance and gain settings in the fx loop

If you were running the POD in 4CM and the tone controls on the amp were not working then it generally means one of two things:

1)  the cabling is not right

2)  The FX loop on the POD is not turned on.  You must include the FX loop block and also turn it on or you will hear a really dead, flat, lifeless tone.

Impedance is arguably an issue but most amps tend to play nice from what see.  Just make sure that the amp loop is set to run at stompbox level (-10dB) and the pod switches also.  I would go back and check everything first before going too much further. 

If you were running the POD in 4CM and the tone controls on the amp were not working then it generally means one of two things:

1)  the cabling is not right

2)  The FX loop on the POD is not turned on.  You must include the FX loop block and also turn it on or you will hear a really dead, flat, lifeless tone.

Impedance is arguably an issue but most amps tend to play nice from what see.  Just make sure that the amp loop is set to run at stompbox level (-10dB) and the pod switches also.  I would go back and check everything first before going too much further. 

Hi Jim,

got the tone controls working by changing the pod fx loop mix to 100%..

Tech specs on the TM18

Input jack, 1 Megaohm

Send jack, 250 ohm, max, +6 dBV

Return jack, 500 kohm, -3dBV

I've set the FX loop on the pod to 0 dB send and 9 dB return. All switches set to amp level. I got studio eq set to +12 dB gain and mixer level to -12 dB.

Does that sound correct?

Yes, mix should be 100% for sure.  Anything other means that part of the signal is not going through your amp's pre-amp and that will not benefit your tone ...or tone controls!

Your levels seem to be way off they way I have them configured.  I have had feedback from several people that the levels in my setup work for them so it should be ok in principle.  The Loop Send and Return levels should both be set to 0 but there should be a boost before the loop from a Studio EQ.

Level setup should be as per the document here -->  http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2522.  I suggest you try again, checking the setup carefully, now you have the mix at 100%.

When you say you get 'noise' is that on all channels or just on the highest gain channels?  On some amps there can be a problem with ground loops that causes noise which is particularly noisy on high gain.  There are some notes on how to fix this in the document.