Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clipping DI in

Jampzz

Hello everyone, I've been checking some people reamping with the unit and everyone seems to have pretty low di levels using usb 7/8 out. For me that's not the case, i'm pretty hot all the time and start clipping when I pick harder (ibanez prestige 7, bareknuckle aftermath, pretty hot pickup). I've tried lowering every single output volume possible and its not affecting the 7/8 usb  output: multi out, usb 1/2 trim, digital out level, i have all those on the minimum level of -60 dB to try and see if it affects the level but it's not even moving, still clipping. I've ran out of ideas and i've checked the forums already, not many comments on this topic so if anyone has experienced the same issue and fixed it please let me know!

Signal chain: Guitar - helix (usb out) > studio one > 2 tracks, main input and usb 7 input (this is the one clipping). 

I've also tried lowering the fader and input level in Studio One, still not affecting the track.

The only setting that will affect the level of USB 7/8 is the input pad. Beyond that, it taps right off the converter after the input, so if you’re track is clipping, you’re probably clipping the Helix’s input. Is the Input Block on the Helix lighting up red?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The only setting that will affect the level of USB 7/8 is the input pad. Beyond that, it taps right off the converter after the input, so if you’re track is clipping, you’re probably clipping the Helix’s input. Is the Input Block on the Helix lighting up red?

Ok then im hitting damn hard LOL

Yeah, the input is lighting red, i guess im going to need a di box then or some other alternative

Thanks for the help dude!

25 minutes ago, Jampzz said:

Ok then im hitting damn hard LOL

Yeah, the input is lighting red, i guess im going to need a di box then or some other alternative

Thanks for the help dude!

Do you have the input pad on?

Is the Bareknuckle an active pickup? If it is, you could try using the Aux In instead of the Guitar In.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Do you have the input pad on?

Is the Bareknuckle an active pickup? If it is, you could try using the Aux In instead of the Guitar In.

The input pad was the last thing I tried, couldn't notice any difference

The bkp is passive but i will try that anyway!

1 hour ago, Jampzz said:

The input pad was the last thing I tried, couldn't notice any difference

The bkp is passive but i will try that anyway!

Well i've just checked and the LT does not have an aux in, so probably the only thing i can do is use some sort of trimmer or di box before the helix

I have a 7-string Ibanez with Barenkuckle Aftermath and a Helix floor. I'm not having any higher than "green" on my input block. I'm using the standard guitar input jack and do not have the pad on (the input pad is off). I'm curious if you go into globals and check the re-amp source for both USB 7 and 8 and set them both to "Guitar" do they both have the exact same behavior? I don't have an LT so not sure if LT even has this setting as adjustable.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:21 AM, Jampzz said:

Well i've just checked and the LT does not have an aux in, so probably the only thing i can do is use some sort of trimmer or di box before the helix

You might want to look at lowering your pickups a little. The Helix has more headroom than most digital inputs meant for guitar, so if you’re clipping it, you’d clip just about any sort of digital interface.

On 6/4/2020 at 10:08 PM, phil_m said:

You might want to look at lowering your pickups a little. The Helix has more headroom than most digital inputs meant for guitar, so if you’re clipping it, you’d flip just about any sort of digital interface.

@Jampzz, along those lines, my 7-string with the exact same pickups has about 2.5mm from bottom of lowest string to top of pickup poles. I mentioned above I'm just getting green lights on my input level with Helix Floor.

On 6/5/2020 at 6:08 AM, malhavok said:

I have a 7-string Ibanez with Barenkuckle Aftermath and a Helix floor. I'm not having any higher than "green" on my input block. I'm using the standard guitar input jack and do not have the pad on (the input pad is off). I'm curious if you go into globals and check the re-amp source for both USB 7 and 8 and set them both to "Guitar" do they both have the exact same behavior? I don't have an LT so not sure if LT even has this setting as adjustable.

Yep the settings are the same. I couldn't notice any difference between input pad on and off. And yes, they're both set to "Guitar". I've just tried comparing both USB 7 and 8, same behaviour, when i hit really hard or palm mute really hard, it clips 1-3 db.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:08 AM, phil_m said:

You might want to look at lowering your pickups a little. The Helix has more headroom than most digital inputs meant for guitar, so if you’re clipping it, you’d flip just about any sort of digital interface.

Absolutely, my interface is clipping even with the gain set to 0, none of this has ever happened to me with my other guitars

So, if i'm not mistaken, if you guys say there's no other way to influence the level of reamp out aside from the pad ( which is not working for me ) i assume the only possible solution to this would be some sort of attenuation i.e. di box to avoid clipping the input of the unit?

I don't even know if pad influences the DI signal because I never use the pad. Outside of that, you're correct. The DI outs are absolutely zero processing with no ability to influence them (intentionally and desirably so). I'm scratching my head as to what could be the deal (especially given I have the exact same pickups).

I've seen people tracking using the usb 7 and 8 on youtube and their signals usually look pretty low, i just have to look at my recorded di's to know something's wrong. Never had an issue with my other guitars or my bass, pretty weird.

On 6/6/2020 at 10:21 PM, malhavok said:

@Jampzz, along those lines, my 7-string with the exact same pickups has about 2.5mm from bottom of lowest string to top of pickup poles. I mentioned above I'm just getting green lights on my input level with Helix Floor.

I just measured, my aftermath is about 3 mm from pole to string

Im assuming this is a guitar output problem, i have an SSL 2 interface with the gain set to literally 0 and its still clipping. On my 6 string i have iron gear steamhammer pickups which are supposed to be super hot and i'm not clipping at all. I'll test with a DI box and check my guitar's circuit. If that doesnt fix it i'll take it to my luthier. Thanks for the help guys!

12 hours ago, malhavok said:

I don't even know if pad influences the DI signal because I never use the pad. Outside of that, you're correct. The DI outs are absolutely zero processing with no ability to influence them (intentionally and desirably so). I'm scratching my head as to what could be the deal (especially given I have the exact same pickups).

The input pad does affect the DI signal. It’s an attenuation prior to the A/D converter.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem. I went into the driver settings through my DAW, went to the Helix in my Windows sound control panel settings and lowered the levels there. That fixed the clipping issue.