Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amps sound muddy without a boost/overdrive

willyjacksonjs22

9 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

Well, if you think it sounds great in that video but yours doesn't, that leaves either your guitar, cable, or what you're listening through as the problem.

If that was the case then Mercurial would have the same problem and it doesn’t. I’m using the hx stomp as an audio interface with the plugin.
this is really weird, some owners like me experience harsh or muddy issues with the hardware. All we hear is add an eq or learn to tweak. But come on, a good tone can come out of just the amp and cab like shown in the video. There could be a possibility  that something is wrong with my stomps input, but in the other hand the input impedance works so I’m still concern. 

50 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

You could post some DI sniplets so people could give things a try.

And attach a copy of your preset so we can hear and see what you're doing wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jorgealberto25 said:

Same cabs I think. G12T-75  

It's a combination of the cab, mic and mic position not just the cab.  That all makes a significant difference in the resulting tone.  I believe from what I've read Mercurial uses the RedWirez impulses so you'd have to do a bit of research to figure out what they're using in terms of the specific IR configuration you've selected if you want to match it.  Or just make some similar adjustments on the stock cabs to behave in the same way as the IRs being used by Mercurial.  Generally if you get the cab, mic and mic positions as well as other tweaks to the Helix stock cab close, you shouldn't need much in the way of additional EQ.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

It's a combination of the cab, mic and mic position not just the cab.  That all makes a significant difference in the resulting tone.  I believe from what I've read Mercurial uses the RedWirez impulses so you'd have to do a bit of research to figure out what they're using in terms of the specific IR configuration you've selected if you want to match it.  Or just make some similar adjustments on the stock cabs to behave in the same way as the IRs being used by Mercurial.  Generally if you get the cab, mic and mic positions as well as other tweaks to the Helix stock cab close, you shouldn't need much in the way of additional EQ.

Yeah you are right! I should of have checked before posting. I’ll try to get the same Ir from redwirez and compare hx stomp and mercuriall. As right now, I think the difference between the video and my setup are the pickups making a tonal difference.