Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Is The Best Amp For Pod X3 Live?

terryturky

Hi. I bought the pod x3 live to replace an old zoom effects unit. When I first tried it through headphones it sounded amazing. I then downloaded patches and tweaked them and it sounded even better. Recording via usb onto mixcraft and riffworks etc is awesome too. Thing is, on stage it sounds awful. I've tried it straight into the PA, which is what I did with the old zoom and it sounds terrible. I tried it through a valvestate and it was worse no matter how much I tweaked. I've had to go back with the zoom for gigs which is very disappointing. If the x3 live sounded as good live as it does in headphones I'd be a happy man. Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone recommend a good amp to run it through? I don't normally post on forums so I'm not too sure about etiquette and all that but if you know where I'm coming from give me reply. Cheers in advance, Tel.

Hi. I bought the pod x3 live to replace an old zoom effects unit. When I first tried it through headphones it sounded amazing. I then downloaded patches and tweaked them and it sounded even better. Recording via usb onto mixcraft and riffworks etc is awesome too. Thing is, on stage it sounds awful. I've tried it straight into the PA, which is what I did with the old zoom and it sounds terrible. I tried it through a valvestate and it was worse no matter how much I tweaked. I've had to go back with the zoom for gigs which is very disappointing. If the x3 live sounded as good live as it does in headphones I'd be a happy man. Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone recommend a good amp to run it through? I don't normally post on forums so I'm not too sure about etiquette and all that but if you know where I'm coming from give me reply. Cheers in advance, Tel.

Set the output to Match Studio/Direct...

If that doesn't solve your problem, I also hear/read good things about the Tech 21 Power Engine 60. It basically takes your Pod tones and makes them louder without excessive (Tech 21 says "none") coloration of the tone. Well-built, cheap (about $340), attractive vintage look, and sounds great. That's a hard combination to beat.

If that doesn't solve your problem, I also hear/read good things about the Tech 21 Power Engine 60. It basically takes your Pod tones and makes them louder without excessive (Tech 21 says "none") coloration of the tone. Well-built, cheap (about $340), attractive vintage look, and sounds great. That's a hard combination to beat.

I have a pair of the Power Engines and they're as good as there is in that price range.  I suspect the QSCs would be better, but they sure cost more.

• 2 weeks later...

Set the output to Match Studio/Direct...

I have a pair of the Power Engines and they're as good as there is in that price range.  I suspect the QSCs would be better, but they sure cost more.

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a new all tube amp and running my pod x3 live through it using the 4 cable method. I've looked into it and it would suit my needs perfectly. The tones and overdrives of a good quality amp with reverb, delay modulation etc configured to post on the pod and even the pod's stomp boxes configured to pre. Here's my problem.

I borrowed a marshall 100W AVT which has an effects loop and connected the pod 4 cable method as described in many tutorial videos:

1. Guitar to guitar IN on pod

2. Pod's fx loop send to amp's instrument IN

3. Amp's fx loop send to pod's fx loop return

4. Pod's live out to amp's fx loop return

It nearly worked. Thing is I was getting the AVT's sound (which is obviously what I wanted) but the pod's effects were hardly noticeable when configured to post. Configured to pre they were very noticeable but that's not where I want them.

One thing I have noticed is that the FX loop on the AVT is parallel and I'm wondering does it need to be series? Maybe I just answered my own question and I need to make sure the new tube amp has a series FX loop but I'm just not sure. If you even know what the hell I'm on about give us a shout. I'd very much appreciate some help. Cheers. Tel.