Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects four cable method problems

Rauschenberger

Okay, I'm no idiot unless you ask my wife of 32 years.  I have this set up:

My guitar wireless goes to the input of my Friedman wah to the Mono input of the HX Effects.  I run a cable from the Mono output of the HX Effects to the FX Return on my Archon 25 PRS amp.  I have a cable from the Send on the HX Effects Loop 1 to the input on the PRS amp.  I have a cable from the Return on Loop 1 on the HX Effects to the Send on loop of the PRS amp.  I'm using the basic 4CM preset from the factory.  I get nothing. 

I want to use the second loop for my Lovepedal overdrive pedals (2).  

My other problem is that I can't set up the amp switching without a huge hum.  I have a special made cable for the loop and channel switching on the amp to a stereo plug into the Footswitch one jack on the HX Effects. 

I've checked all the cables. It's all an epic fail.

Help.  

Wireless>Wah>HXFX Input>HXFX Send 1>Lovepedals>HXFX Return 1>HXFX Send 2>Archon INPUT>Archon FX Send>HXFX Return 2>HXFX L/MONO Out>Archon FX Return.

NOTE: you might want to put the Lovepedals between the Wah and HXFX Input, that will likely be less noisy than putting them in a loop. IF you do that:

Wireless>Wah>Lovepedals>HXFX Input>HXFX Send 1>Archon Input>Archon FX Send>HXFX Return 1>HXFX L/MONO Out>Archon FX Return.

Don't forget to put the appropriate Send/Return Blocks in the appropriate places in the HXFX Signal Chain.

I've hooked it up a dozen times and there just isn't any signal going to the input of the Archon.  I'm not using any of the peripheral "stuff" mentioned above.  Just a guitar cable into the input of the HX and all the cables as you've suggested in scenario two.  There's audio when I pull the Send from the Archon, but nothing into the front of the amp.  Could there be something in the Global Settings I dorked up?  I'm using the factor 4CM presets unmolested to try to get this to work.  Ugh...

Make sure the Send cable from Helix is coming out of the Send 1 jack, and the Send cable from the Archon is going in to the Helix Return 1 jack.

It's easy to confuse the layout of the patchbay.

Then make sure that you have a FX Loop 1 Block in the Helix signal chain.

I've attached a sample preset.

Rauschenberger.hlx

I'm certain it's connected correctly.  Certain.  I've had giant midi rigs in the eighties and nineties and had a Helix and Headrush too.  That's what is so perplexing.  It just won't work.  Can you tell me how to restore all factory settings and start over completely.  The factory 4CM presets won't work, but the normal two cable and going straight into the amp works fine.  I just want to be able to route the overdrives and front-end effects before the preamp.  I'm going to send this thing back to Sweetwater, if I can't figure this out.  

Also, I just tried the HX with my Brown Note Dumble clone and it won't work through that amp either.  Tested all cables too.  Is there something in the Global Settings that I might have changed that could cause this?  I want to do a factory reset, but the manual has nothing.

AFAIK, the only major difference between the HXFX and the Floor/Rack/Stomp (I have Floor and Stomp) is the lack of Amps. The hardware/routing is basically the same, and the only Global settings that affect the effects loops are the Instrument/Line Level settings, which would not cause the problem you're encountering.

On any computer or computer based device, when it starts acting wonky or just plain stops working right, a factory reset is basically your last resort after checking all your connections.

Previously, every single time someone has had a problem with 4cm it's turned out to be user error. I've never (I've had Helices for 4 years) seen a hardware fail in this regard.

Congratulations! You could be the (un)lucky first!

No luck with the factory reset.  I hook my guitar to the "L/Mono Input" of the HX.  Then, Effects Loop send on HX to the input of the amp.  Then, I take the Send from the amp loop to the Return on the HX loop.  Last, I come out of the output "R/mono" on the HX to the Return on the amp loop.  Tell me where I'm going wrong?