Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix user that need help

Michel_Beaupre

Hi everyone,

I'm a new Helix user and I have some questions.  I have been playing guitar for 20 years starting in my teenager years up to 2000. My last DSP was a Rocktron VooDoo Valve in the late 90's. I decided to start playing again with this Covid pandemic and bought my dream amp and this Helix pedal board.

So basically I'm running the Helix via a 4CM. I want to disable the preamp option on the Helix as I want to use my MesaBoogie TC100 preamp. How in the world do I do that?

I feel that the learning curve with this Helix is gonna be steep :-) 

Best regards from a Canadian fellow!

Michel

Welcome back!

I'm assuming that by 4cm you mean this:

Guitar>Helix Input>Helix Send 1>TC100 Input>TC100 FX Send>Helix Return 1>Helix L/MONO Output>TC100 FX Return

Your Helix signal chain might look like this:

Input Block>OD/Dist>MOD>Helix Amp/Pre-amp (no cab)>FX Loop 1 Block>Delay>Reverb>Output Block

Assign a single Footswitch to Both the Helix Amp and the Fx Loop 1 Block. Save the preset with one ON and the other OFF.

For instance, if you want the default when you load the preset to be the TC100, save the preset with the Helix Amp OFF and the FX Loop Block ON.

You can now toggle between the TC100 Pre-amp and the Helix Amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michel
There is no fixed preamp in Helix.  There is only an amp or preamp if you put one of those blocks ibnto your signal chain yourself.

If you are working in 4 cable mode, then just load the blocks you want as your FX - obviously deciding which ones you want before or after the Mesa preamp.

If you decide to use a patch made by someone else (which I strongly recommend avoiding at al cost) then just delete the amp or preamp block.

The video on how to create a great sounding tone using 4CM is what I was looking for!

I have another question. I am controlling the Mesa channels via Midi (from the Helix). In Preset#1, I was able to assign through Command Center footswitches to change the amp channels (3).  

For instance, how can I specify that for my preset 1 to have Channel 3 on the amp turned automatically? and for Preset #2, to have the channel changed to Clean.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Michel_Beaupre said:

I have another question. I am controlling the Mesa channels via Midi (from the Helix). In Preset#1, I was able to assign through Command Center footswitches to change the amp channels (3).  

For instance, how can I specify that for my preset 1 to have Channel 3 on the amp turned automatically? and for Preset #2, to have the channel changed to Clean.

Instant Commands (the lightning bolt) execute when the Preset (or Snapshot) loads. Just assign the appropriate command (the ones you're currently using on footswitches) to an Instant Command.