Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 Won't Turn On

Hi.  I have had my JTV-69 for about 3 years.  Last year I had an issue where it wouldn't turn on (cable connected and pushing down on the volume knob didn't do anything).  I sent it back for repairs and everything seemed fine.  Just recently I've experienced a twist on this.  It works fine when plugged in via a Variax cable to my POD XT Live, but when I plug in a guitar cable it doesn't want to turn on for some reason.  I've heard about the possible remedy of stuffing a wad of paper inside the volume knob to make a better connection but where it turns on when connected via Variax cable makes me think it's something more.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Check the battery when using the 1/4".

- Make certain you are using a TRS 1/4" plug cable.

- Paper wad won't last, don't bother with that.

- Are the volume and/or tone control knobs loose? If so, then carefully pull up the knobs, make certain the model knob doesn't hang up and tighten down the retainer nuts underneath.

Try not to scratch the pick guard when pulling up the knobs. Good even pull, be careful NOT to pull the pot shaft out of the pot,... it can happen.

• Upvote 1

If the problem is really ONLY happening when connected through a 1/4", but you can toggle the modeling on or off with the knob...as opposed to sending the guitar remote commands via the VDI...then something else is going on. A mechanical issue that prevents the knob from engaging the switch properly, will manifest itself no matter which output you're using. Now it might be intermittent, as mechanical problems often are...but if it's occurring solely with one output but not the other, then you have a problem somewhere else. The knob itself is either the root cause, or it's not.

It's why I asked about the battery and the TRS.

As usual, cruisinon2 is on the ball. Very good.

Once I get an answer about the TRS and the knobs, then I will know what's next,

could be a small problem with the 1/4" section of the jack plate.

• Upvote 1