Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go additional external momentary 7/8 footswitch option query. SOLVED: And I'm now SOLD on Pod Go!!

voxman55

In the Pod Go manual (p6, item 15 ) it explains you can add 2 additional momentary footswitches for additional stomps 7/8.  

Can these be used to access additional snapshots?  The manual says 'stomps' so I'm unclear whether this means literally just stomps ie the switching on/off of a particular effect or whether these can give access to further snapshot variations. 

If the extra footswitches can't be used for snapshots then I'm unclear what the advantages are of adding 2 extra footswitches that can 'stomp' only.  If EQ, fx insert plus up to 4 flex fx are the 6 stomp footswitches, what can the other 2 external footswitches be set to do - wouldn't all the options be already used up?  

So I'm a little confused here.  I'm assuming if Line 6 offer the facility there must be a good reason & some advantage? Has anyone added footswitches yet and sussed this out? 

Alternatively @Digital_Igloocould you help to clarify please?  

Many thanks

I was trying to figure out how to do this exact same thing last night.  Being able to assign snapshots to 7/8 would be incredible, and I do not see much use for those additional switches otherwise.

Tonight I will try applying multiple effects blocks to them for a sudo-snapshot button, just lumping blocks together to toggle on and off in one press (IE clean vs processed, etc.)

I am finding the dual button press to initiate snapshot mode to be clunky and hard to do without looking at the pedal, this is very limiting and I am struggling to take advantage of the otherwise super powerful snapshot system.

Voxman, if you figure something out let me know!

We don't yet have Pod Go in the UK so I can't experiment myself currently. The dual button press concerned me as it is a nuisance at home but an absolute 'no no' live.   However, I've been assured by @Digital_Iglooof Line 6 that Pod Go can be set up such that it can toggle between snapshot and stomp mode, so you only ever have to press the 2 buttons together once when you first set it up. There are posts here on this but I believe you set Mode to toggle - it will then go between snaps and stomp.  Nevertheless I'd  still feel more comfortable if Line 6 were able to modify the firmware such that you had a single switch press to go into snapshot mode. But until  I can get hold of one to try, I can't be sure if setting the Mode switch like this will solve the 2 button problem or whether I lose some functionality by doing this.

@alexdgoodI'd be interested to hear how you get on  - I'm assuming you have two momentary (unlatching) switches with the Y cable as per the manual?  I'd still appreciate it if someone from Line 6 could please clarify regarding my external footswitch query in the OP. 

@voxman55 That is correct, you engage snapshot mode via a two button press. By default this is only done from preset mode and not stompbox mode. I was not aware of the toggle that you mentioned, Iwill try that tonight, however the snapshot system is intended to replace stompbox mode, its really a more advanced layer of presets, you are still able to treat it like it is in stomp box mode so you can adjust your snapshots.

It works as intended, for sure, the snapshot system is extremely powerful and is a great tool to have, however you can only change block parameters not the blocks themselves, this makes it very clunky to try to take full advantage of without being able to quickly switch between presets/block assignments, as this requires leaving snapshot mode via the same  two button press.  This is where I find myself still relying on analogue pedals in my chain to fill the void.

Your concerns regarding stage use of snapshots are valid, I am struggling to get comfortable rapidly switching between these different layers on the fly, but as with anything this will just take practice.  As I think we are both suggesting, having the ability to at least bind snapshots A+B to switches 7+8, thus avoiding the need to manually open the snapshot layer would be extremely useful.

Sorry to hear they are not shipping to the UK yet, this thing is a blast, I am having the most fun experimenting with unusual signal chains that would otherwise be scoffed at... no complaints here, just things I am noticing while trying to figure out and get efficient with full functionality!

Hopefully you can grab one soon, I know I am hooked! (never could afford Helix)

@alexdgoodgreat to hear you're enjoying the Pod Go and I'm really looking forward to getting one myself.  Helix LT is much cheaper than the full Helix (in the UK Helix is around £1200-1400, LT can be found for £799-899) with LT being slightly lighter and smaller.  I could afford the LT but for my needs it's too big, too heavy, too expensive, and too complicated.  A Pod Go is half the price (circa £399-429 in UK) and way lighter, more compact, and simpler (at least by comparison, but it still has a lot of features to offer plus Helix models).  I need it for gigging - currently I'm using my Vox Tonelab SE (almost as big and heavy as Helix!) and Tonelab LE.  Still great sounding units, and brilliant gigability features but they are older tech (2004 & 2007 respectively) and it would be great to have something light and compact that offers top class modeling, snapshots but with great floor control etc. 

I'll buy one from somewhere that allows a full refund within 30 days (possibly longer) so that I've got a chance to see both what it's capable of and what it's limitations are.  If it doesn't work out for me my only other option is Helix LT that I don't really want, so fingers crossed Pod Go will meet my needs. 

I've just found this brilliant video on how to use FS7/8. I think this answers all my questions - essentially it's giving you A/B options on effects, amp gain etc.  I've been a little cautious/sceptical re Pod Go capabilities and concerns re processing power. But this video has just absolutely sold me on Pod Go!!!  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @alexdgood I got my Pod Go when I updated to v1.10 and today I updated to v1.11.  Not had very much time to do much with it yet so will likely have to wait until Friday before I can start dabling.  My immediate concern is that it's not very loud through headphones and I'm not sure why. 

I have noticed low headphone output as well, but honestly I usually run the headphone output from my Mixer when I have my ears on, so this isn't much of an issue for me.

Do you have a headphone amp that you can run through?

I briefly tried looking up specs for the headphone output to see power ratings but wasn't able to find any numbers...

Maybe the headphone output just doesn't have quite enough juice for big over-ears?

On a similar note, I did notice that running a line level aux into the return is extremely hot and I have to turn down the source volume as low as I can (while turning volume output on the GO way up) to balance with the guitar signal.

Again, I would typically run this type of signal through my mixer instead, but this was extremely noticeable when trying to do everything onboard with headphones.

Thats great that you finally got your hands on one though!

That solution you found for switch 7/8 is alot of fun, and it seems to work in any layer once you have it set up!

@voxman55 Many headphone amps do colour the tone slightly, specifically though the ones that do are geared more towards audiophiles.

You want one that is more geared towards referencing / studio recording. Honestly the Behringer headphone amps are extremely good and cheap.

Though the noise-floor can be pretty easy to hit, and depending on how good your ear is you might notice some extremely subtle changes (their specs will never admit to this though.)

Once I needed 64 pairs of headphones in the studio to record a huge gospel choir, I was able to borrow a bunch of Behringer Powerplay units that completely saved the three-day session, absolute life saver!

OK, I think I've sussed the headphone volume issue - it's to do with the output and EQ levels. If I raise these, I now get plenty of volume. 

I've also connected my two Bespeco VM20 momentary pedals with the correct type of Y cable (I had these from when I had various Boss MFX pedals) and they work perfectly. You have to read the manual and set the output to F7/F8. So for example you can set the EQ for a level boost for lead solos or distortion pedal at different levels for a boost, or long & short delay times etc.  It just adds extra versatility.  Only minor issue is there are no LEDs on the switches to tell me when they are engaged.  They're fine for now but I can always pick up a Boss FS6/FS7 or similar that has LED's. 

Pod_Go_&_2xVM20's.jpg

On 6/25/2020 at 1:59 PM, alexdgood said:

@voxman55 Many headphone amps do colour the tone slightly, specifically though the ones that do are geared more towards audiophiles.

Just a correction, that's not really the case.  As with most solid state drives, be it speaker amplifiers or headphone, solid state amplifiers impart very little color to the sound.  You can see it in the reviews with measurements, where the FR is basically flat from 10Hz-20kHz.  For primitive tube technology, then yeah, it'll make a significant difference, but most headphone amps are SS and so are very neutral.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, grdGo33 said:

Just a correction, that's not really the case.  As with most solid state drives, be it speaker amplifiers or headphone, solid state amplifiers impart very little color to the sound.  You can see it in the reviews with measurements, where the FR is basically flat from 10Hz-20kHz.  For primitive tube technology, then yeah, it'll make a significant difference, but most headphone amps are SS and so are very neutral.

Agreed.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that snap shots are limited to four only. External 7/8 won't get you more snap shots. It will get you more stomp pedals... though six stomp buttons is *usually* enough considering a parameter can only be connected to one stomp.

However, an exceptionally awesome use of external 7/8 is to allow for a solo boost or other effect *while* you are using the six button looper! Since the looper uses all six of your switches, external 7/8 let's you have both.