Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp bricked after 2.92 Update.

longi17

Utterly brilliant! My Stomp has bricked after trying to update from 2.80 to 2.92. I only get the start up splash screen and I can't enter manual update either. It just show a blank screen. Any ideas before I start swearing at it and take a hammer to it?

Did you use the Updater or did you use HX Edit to update. The updates are now integrated into the Editor now. I'll need to check but I think some people did download the update and were able to do it from the Updater...I think. I'll have to check on that. If you don't have any super special patches, have you tried a factory reset?
Also did you follow the official instrucitons exactly...here.

I tried it from HX edit and it failed at the back up screen but then it tried to update after the failed back up and failed then I tried it through Updater and it failed again and now it does nothing. I've tried to hard reset it and nothing happens.

Here's a way of doing it offline. It's from another thread.

If this is causing you so much trouble, then the easiest thing to do is not try to run the update over the internet and do a local install, by downloading the stuff you need and using the Line 6 Updater Utility. First you will need the HX Edit v2.92 software, then the Helix LT v 2.92 Flash Memory Bundle.

O.K. go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select Helix LT, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as is, now select Mac OS X from under the "-ALL OS-" tab. from the next page you can select Helix/HX Firmware 2.92 Flash Memory, then below that you will need the HX Edit 2.92. Now scroll further down the page a grab Line 6 Updater version 1.9. Download all these bits to your Mac( they need to be installed in the Line 6 folder inside your Applications Folder). If as you say this a new Helix LT , unless you have made some presets that you wish to keep then they need to be backed up using HX Edit prior to updating the Firmware. If everything if fine then proceed to next step. Ensure that you have your LT connected to the Mac by USB cable and launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your LT and current firmware version should show in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you down loaded  and let it get on with the update.

Hope this helps/makes sense

It's for a Mac but it should still apply.

Here's the thread.

1 hour ago, longi17 said:

Any ideas before I start swearing at it and take a hammer to it?

Did you try doing a factory reset on the HX Stomp?

If not - here ya go!

HX Stomp

Button Combination Description
All 3 Footswitches Clears all presets/IRs
FS1+2 Resets presets and IRs
FS 2+3

Factory restore (globals, presets, IRs)

Hope the helps/makes sense

SEE EXTRA INFO IN MY POST LOWER DOWN THIS THREAD - RE: SAFE BOOT OPTION

Edited by datacommando
Extra info
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Isn't there a safe boot mode for the Stomp?

Yes there is, but I did a cut and paste of the usual options that I seem to post every week.

Here we go - UPDATE:

HX Stomp

1.  All 3 Footswitches clears all presets/IRs

2.  FS1+2 resets presets and IRs

3.  FS 2+3 does a factory restore (globals, presets, IRs)

4.  Pressing and Holding down the "Page >" Button while powering up will put the HX Stomp into update mode. This update mode is helpful if the update is interrupted, and the HX Stomp will not boot properly.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Yes there is, but I did a cut and paste of the usual options that I seem to post every week.

[...]

4.  Pressing and Holding down the "Page >" Button while powering up will put the HX Stomp into update mode. This update mode is helpful if the update is interrupted, and the HX Stomp will not boot properly.

Ah, there we go, that's the information I didn't find instantly (being a Floor owner I didn't look all too much, though...).
This is precisely what I'd try, along with the Line 6 updater in offline mode (to the OP: You'll have to download the firmware flash file for that to work).
As said, this seems to be what helped quite some people already in fear of having bricked their units.

3 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Ah, there we go, that's the information I didn't find instantly (being a Floor owner I didn't look all too much, though...).
This is precisely what I'd try, along with the Line 6 updater in offline mode (to the OP: You'll have to download the firmware flash file for that to work).
As said, this seems to be what helped quite some people already in fear of having bricked their units.

The information is freely available right here, although most people seem to go into “panic mode” and never look.

Plus here is an updated version of the notes posted previously for a Mac User, modified for a PC.

O.K. go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select HX Stomp, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as is, now select your PC Operating System from under the "-ALL OS-" tab. From the next page you can select the Firmware 2.92 Flash Memory for your Stomp, then below that you will need the HX Edit 2.92. Now scroll further down the page a grab Line 6 Updater version 1.9. Download all these bits to your PC. If you have made any presets that you wish to keep then they need to be backed up using HX Edit prior to updating the Firmware. If everything if fine then proceed to next step. Ensure that HX Edit is closed and that you have your Stomp connected to your PC by USB cable and launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your HX Stomp and current firmware version should show in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you down loaded  and let it get on with the update.

Hope this helps/makes sense

34 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Here we go - UPDATE:

HX Stomp

1.  All 3 Footswitches clears all presets/IRs

2.  FS1+2 resets presets and IRs

3.  FS 2+3 does a factory restore (globals, presets, IRs)

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I've already tried that it didn't work. If I hold the right page button down when I power up the screen just stays blank.

2 minutes ago, longi17 said:

This is the error I get.

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/media/software/9711/HX_Stomp_v2.92.0_bab8ab139_bundle.hxf
Line Number 1, Column 5:
FORM

The bundle (.hxf) is the flash memory file that you need to send to your Stomp via USB and using the Line 6 Updater Utility.

XML is the markup language - don’t try opening the .hxf bundle 

I had problems updating my Helix Floor from 2.91 to 2.92 (I Have tried to update in HX Edit and with the Line6 Updater).

After the backup there was always an error message and the Helix lost connection.

I have uninstalled everything (HX Edit, all line 6 drivers).

After a reboot I have installed the HX Edit 2.92 package again and I was able to finish the update.

...maybe it's a similar problem

Oh man that was painful! I couldn't download the 2.91-2.92 firmware from the website as I just got that parsing error thing. I managed to get the 2.81 firmware which loaded ok then I was able to update to 2.92 via HX Edit.

I got there in the end and thank you all so much for your help it's very much appreciated. :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I'm still bricked. Tried the powering on while holding Page >. All I get is a black screen

Tried it holding down the right 2 footswitches and it boots to a screen that says HX Stomp and then freezes before it shows a version number. (It used to show a version number shortly after booting to this screen.

On 6/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, datacommando said:

It stays blank because it is waiting to have the firmware updated - that’s what “update mode” means.

But can you update using HX Edit?  It just shows no connection. 
I can’t find a separate piece of software fir the HX Stomp called @Updater” for MacOS

On 6/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, longi17 said:

I've already tried that it didn't work. If I hold the right page button down when I power up the screen just stays blank.

So...how do I update now that I have the black screen? I don’t see a program for the macOS called “updates” and HX Edit just shows “No Connection “ so won’t talk to it. 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:25 AM, mstevulak said:

So...how do I update now that I have the black screen? I don’t see a program for the macOS called “updates” and HX Edit just shows “No Connection “ so won’t talk to it. 

The Line 6 Updater is there - maybe you missed it, therefore I will suggest that you follow these instructions to see it you can get your box to work as a guitar processor and not a paper weight.

First go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select HX Stomp, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as it is, now select your Mac OSX from under the "-ALL OS-" tab. Now click the “GO” button. From the next page you can select HX Edit 2.92 for your Stomp, then below that you will also need the Firmware 2.92 Flash Memory. Now scroll right the way down the page where you will find Line 6 Updater version 1.9. 

Download all these items to your Mac.

Ensure that any version of HX Edit that you may have is closed, and that you have your Stomp connected to your Mac by USB cable, then hold down “Page >” while turning the power on. You may see a blank screen, but keep going.

Now, launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your HX Stomp and current firmware version should now show in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded (in the downloads folder on your Mac) and let it get on with the update.

When it completes you can install the new HX Edit v.2.92 and you should be good to go.

This information is supplied in good faith and no guarantee is given or implied - should this not succeed, I suggest you raise a ticket with Customer Support.

Hope this helps/makes sense - good luck.

• Upvote 1