Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Logic Pro X 10.5 - Helix Native Issues

mcoffin

Since upgrading to the newest version of Logic Pro X 10.5, my Helix Native plugin is running horribly slow. I have tried all of my other guitar plugins and they are working perfectly. After lots of testing, it has come down to only Helix Native that is having issues. When changing/dragging blocks, adding new amps/effects, or simply trying to select patches, there is always a delay. Almost as if when you (for instance) try to move a block in the signal chain, it takes a second to realize what you are doing and delays your command. Very annoying and makes it difficult to work quickly.

Any clues? Is there a way to uninstall Helix Native and re-install easily on a Mac?

It seems that the upgrade to Logic 10.5 has done the damage, but again, only with Helix Native.

I am running OS Mojave 10.14.6 and the most current version of Helix Native.

On 6/11/2020 at 5:49 AM, mcoffin said:

Hi mcoffin,

Just seen your post about LXP 10.5 and HXN.

Mmm... The perils of being an early adopter - this stuff happens and is why when stuff is “mission critical” it’s usually best not to jump straight in and let others get snarled up with revised software problems. Oh, you’ve already jumped, which let’s me know not to bother with 10.5 for a while.

You seem to have realised that it could be Logic that has messed up, possibly because Native 1.92 may not have been tested on LXP 10.5 as it was released after the update to the Helix firmware. 

As for uninstalling HXN - it’s an audio units plug in for Logic and lives in the “components” folder, simply remove it.

Here is the link to instructions on how to do it from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201199

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Hey Soundog,

I didn't know there was a 10.5.1 upgrade available. I just installed it to see if it would fix the problem. Guess what... YES!

Seems to be running smoothly now. Thanks for the heads up!

And thank you Apple Logic crew for being so quick 

\m/,

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Spinning ball again and not loading up. Support has not got back to me. I was really hoping this would work out, however I must move on to something that works. Maybe in the future I may take another crack at it.

Cheers everyone, and great website!

-------------------------

Not running smoothly on same machine and Logic 10.5.1 version as yours. Extremely slow and sluggish! I've deleted and re-installed, but nothing has changed.

P.S.

I'm using the demo version in order to buy, but not while it works (or doesn't) like this. I have notified support and hopefully they respond with some suggestions. 

Edited by micdim
Update

• 1 month later...

Not running smoothly on same machine and Logic 10.5.1 version as yours. Extremely slow and sluggish! I've deleted and re-installed, but nothing has changed.

Same here - Running Logic X 10.5.1 - also just updated Helix Native to the latest version.  Helix Native is sluggish as hell.  Any edits take forever, the meters respond VERY slowly.  This sucks  .. I really cannot get any work done with Helix performing like this.

Any Logic preference settings that might be of help?  I have turned on Low latency Plug-Ins - no difference.  My other plugs work just fine.

Thanks - Dennis

Dennis - Sorry to hear about that. I use Logic 10.4.7, so can't double-check here. But....

Do you have the problem with a fresh project using only one track, with only Native loaded for plug-ins? Or does the problem start to show up in busier projects?

Also .... try seeing if the issue might be related to RAM (use Logics Control Panel Load Meters (CPU and Hard Drive). Do either of the meters spike when you're having the problem? You can also use your Mac's Activity Monitor to see what's going on with your RAM and CPU usage.

We'll need to hear from other Logic 10.5.1 users to see if they have the same issue. Also, I'd open a ticket with Line 6 and see what they have in their database.

17 hours ago, soundog said:

We'll need to hear from other Logic 10.5.1 users to see if they have the same issue.

Another user of the latest version of Logic and also Ableton in this thread, suffering crash problems. 

Also some user’s of Cubase on Windows have issues with crashing, freezing and other spurious errors.

Not sure if this is bugs in Native or the other software. My situation is still good with the latest version Helix Native 1.93 (released 9th July) and an older version of Logic Pro X 10.4.x (refuse to update LPX until I’m sure it’s safe to do so).

It's a bit maddening the assorted HXN issues that pop up on this forum. And they're not slight; they're often crippling .... and difficult for us forum folks troubleshoot. I feel lucky to have things working smoothly in my little studio. But why? Karma? A lucky combination of hardware and software? Dunno. But I think Line 6 needs to step up and invest some resources on determining if the problem is in HXN code.

Re Logic 10.5.x, you're wise to wait. I had numerous problems with it and plug-ins, and after spending time learning it's new features, decided there was nothing that I really needed for the stuff I do. I finally have a stable recording/production system and plan on keeping it that way until I'm forced by "progress" or killer feature(s)to upgrade. Just for grins, I also plan on giving UAD's LUNA a spin one of these pandemic days.

6 hours ago, soundog said:

But I think Line 6 needs to step up and invest some resources on determining if the problem is in HXN code.

Yep, that gets my vote!

Sometimes, we are like the last outpost in this forum. Line 6 staff cannot even be bothered to post the latest update notifications.

Re Logic 10.5.x, you're wise to wait. I had numerous problems with it and plug-ins, and after spending time learning it's new features, decided there was nothing that I really needed for the stuff I do. I finally have a stable recording/production system and plan on keeping it that way until I'm forced by "progress" or killer feature(s)to upgrade.

I with you with that also - I spent to long out on the “bleeding edge of technology” and having to fire fight all the unknown issues. Let somebody else have that to deal with , I’m getting too old for all this madness.

I also plan on giving UAD's LUNA a spin one of these pandemic days.

Oooh, new toys - and expensive! Have fun!

Well, I'm only gonna use their "the first one's free" download from UAD, since I have an Apollo Twin. I'm not about to get roped into their $150-per-plug-in model. I want to see how the workflow is, and how nicely LUNA plays with the UAD plug-ins I already own. It would be hard to move me from Logic, since I've used it for many a year.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks. I've had this exact issue for a while, and this seemed to help make it much more responsive for me:

- Navigate to your Logic Pro X app in Finder, Applications folder most likely. Right click on it and click Show info. Tick the "Open in Low Resolution" checkbox.

- Next time you open Logic it will look a bit worse but performance should increase slightly.

I tried this step to fix an unrelated problem, I was getting audible pops and clicks during recording that wouldn't be present during input monitoring. And it seemed to help both cases. Hope it works for you as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 11:39 AM, xantir said:

Hey folks. I've had this exact issue for a while, and this seemed to help make it much more responsive for me:

- Navigate to your Logic Pro X app in Finder, Applications folder most likely. Right click on it and click Show info. Tick the "Open in Low Resolution" checkbox.

- Next time you open Logic it will look a bit worse but performance should increase slightly.

I tried this step to fix an unrelated problem, I was getting audible pops and clicks during recording that wouldn't be present during input monitoring. And it seemed to help both cases. Hope it works for you as well.

I just installed Helix Native (trial) for the first time to use with Logic 10.5.1 after I also bought an HX Stomp. Horribly slow. I followed xantir's advice re running Logic in Low Res and it seems to work perfectly, minus the obvious hi res - but I can live with that. Cheers!

15 hours ago, merdenoms74 said:

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but 'Show info' isn't one of the options that come up for me when I right click. 'Get info' is, but I can't see a low resolution option in there.

What display does your mac use? I think it might be for Retina displays only. Attached is a screenshot of mine.

Speaking of which, when I run Low Res logic on my external standard 1080P monitor, it looks crisp as normal.

logiclowres.png