Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking to get into the amp modeling game

gmiskotten

Hello all,

I’m looking to jump into the amp modeling game. The Helix seems to be the best look for me after my research. However, I’m having a hard time deciding what model works for me. The intention with modeling is I want to be able to make my own tones at home. Currently I’m just writing my own music and not in a band. But I plan to join/make a group and play local shows in the future. What would you recommend I get Helix model wise? I was thinking about getting the computer plugin for now and a controller later but I’m not sure. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

IMO purchasing the plugin on its own without being a registered hardware owner is quite expensive (the discount for hardware owners is massive), I can't exactly recommend it, especially given that you plan to get the hardware later on.

In addition, you will need an audio interface with pretty decent drivers to achieve low latencies and it should as well come with a proper instrument input (many interfaces don't, for whatever reasons...). Also, your computer needs to be at least somewhat powerful as running a plugin such as Helix Native at lowest latencies is quite CPU taxing.

Personally, if you plan to use things at home for the time being, I'd recommend an HX Stomp or a POD Go. Myself, I'd go with the former as you will be able to enjoy the discount for Helix Native and as you will also profit from updates done to the Helix family (which the POD Go will perhaps be excluded from).

• Upvote 1

I would add that, if you already have an Audio Interface, there's lots of free to very cheap amp sims available to get your feet wet. Amplitube is one of the most popular, but do a google search for "Guitar Amp Sims".

EDIT: Also, Helix Native has a free demo period, so you can see if you like the "Helix sound".

I would like to interject at this point that your success in the amp modeling game will be equally depending on your choices for the output system you use as it will for the modeler.  This is THE most commonly overlooked aspect of modeling.  Investing in a high end modeler and then trying to save money on an output system is probably the most common situation that frustrates new users.  I'd say set aside enough money and time for serious consideration of both if you don't want to be disappointed.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I would like to interject at this point that your success in the amp modeling game will be equally depending on your choices for the output system you use as it will for the modeler.  This is THE most commonly overlooked aspect of modeling.  Investing in a high end modeler and then trying to save money on an output system is probably the most common situation that frustrates new users.  I'd say set aside enough money and time for serious consideration of both if you don't want to be disappointed.

What would you recommend for an output system?

36 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

IMO purchasing the plugin on its own without being a registered hardware owner is quite expensive (the discount for hardware owners is massive), I can't exactly recommend it, especially given that you plan to get the hardware later on.

In addition, you will need an audio interface with pretty decent drivers to achieve low latencies and it should as well come with a proper instrument input (many interfaces don't, for whatever reasons...). Also, your computer needs to be at least somewhat powerful as running a plugin such as Helix Native at lowest latencies is quite CPU taxing.

Personally, if you plan to use things at home for the time being, I'd recommend an HX Stomp or a POD Go. Myself, I'd go with the former as you will be able to enjoy the discount for Helix Native and as you will also profit from updates done to the Helix family (which the POD Go will perhaps be excluded from).

I have a Scarlett Solo interface already that I use for my headphones on my pc. And luckily I built a pretty powerful pc so that shouldn’t be too much of an issue

Just now, gmiskotten said:

I have a Scarlett Solo interface already that I use for my headphones on my pc. And luckily I built a pretty powerful pc so that shouldn’t be too much of an issue

Which generation is the Scarlett? From all I know, there's generation 3 by now - and the older versions aren't enjoying all that much of a great reputation (at least that's true for generation 1).

However, as rd2rk already mentioned, you might want to check some of the amp plugin freebies for a start. What kind of sounds are you mainly looking for?

1 minute ago, SaschaFranck said:

Which generation is the Scarlett? From all I know, there's generation 3 by now - and the older versions aren't enjoying all that much of a great reputation (at least that's true for generation 1).

However, as rd2rk already mentioned, you might want to check some of the amp plugin freebies for a start. What kind of sounds are you mainly looking for?

I think my Scarlett is 2nd generation? I’m not sure. I’ve been looking to upgrade it anyways. I’m going for more of a modern metal/rock vibe. Heavily influenced by Rabea Massaad, Periphery, August Burns Red, etc etc

Just now, gmiskotten said:

I think my Scarlett is 2nd generation? I’m not sure. I’ve been looking to upgrade it anyways. I’m going for more of a modern metal/rock vibe. Heavily influenced by Rabea Massaad, Periphery, August Burns Red, etc etc

Unless you have VERY high output pickups, 2nd gen should be just fine.

• Like 1

Hx Stomp is a good shout if you already have other pedals. Hx stomp is more expensive than a pod go but the functionality of the Stomp is better. I do mostly recordings so I bought the hx stomp Last Christmas and I haven't looked back.(I have a band but we haven't played any gigs yet)  for me I prefer the stomp to all the other multi effects out there because of the quality of the sound and I like pedals, so i can use it in conjunction with pedals I have and going to buy.

5 minutes ago, gmiskotten said:

Yeah, 2nd generation should be fine.

As far as amp sims for that kinda style are concerned, I would recommend to download the entire Ignite Amps suite (it's all freeware, apart from Libra - which you can skip), especially the "Emissary" amp (note: Most others are preamps only and sound better when you run them through their TPA-1 power amp plugin).
http://www.igniteamps.com/#software
You will have to run these through a cab sim (as they're just amps). To get you started, use their NadIR plugin, sign up for the newsletter at Redwirez and grab their free Marshall cab impulse responses (feel free to ask what these are doing in case you haven't heard about IRs yet).
https://redwirez.com/collections/all

To recap: Load Emissary and NadIR serially on one audio track, then load some of those Redwirez IRs into NadIR.
You should get some pretty decent rock tones out of that combination alone already.
If you want to go for the typical "slap a tubescreamer alike drive for a tad of boost and a little low end tightness in front" trick, check Ignite Amps' drives, but one of the best freeware TS alike drive plugins likely comes from Mercuriall, the TSC:
https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_freestuff

(get the other ones while you're there, too).

The free content of IK Multimedia's Amplitube is pretty good, too, but maybe not too much useful for heavier stuff, plus, registering things is awkward.
There's tons of other pretty decent freebies as well - but you should already be able to get a damn fine sound out of the things mentioned above.

6 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

eah, 2nd generation should be fine.

As far as amp sims for that kinda style are concerned, I would recommend to download the entire Ignite Amps suite (it's all freeware, apart from Libra - which you can skip), especially the "Emissary" amp (note: Most others are preamps only and sound better when you run them through their TPA-1 power amp plugin).
http://www.igniteamps.com/#software
You will have to run these through a cab sim (as they're just amps). To get you started, use their NadIR plugin, sign up for the newsletter at Redwirez and grab their free Marshall cab impulse responses (feel free to ask what these are doing in case you haven't heard about IRs yet).
https://redwirez.com/collections/all

To recap: Load Emissary and NadIR serially on one audio track, then load some of those Redwirez IRs into NadIR.
You should get some pretty decent rock tones out of that combination alone already.
If you want to go for the typical "slap a tubescreamer alike drive for a tad of boost and a little low end tightness in front" trick, check Ignite Amps' drives, but one of the best freeware TS alike drive plugins likely comes from Mercuriall, the TSC:
https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_freestuff

(get the other ones while you're there, too).

The free content of IK Multimedia's Amplitube is pretty good, too, but maybe not too much useful for heavier stuff, plus, registering things is awkward.
There's tons of other pretty decent freebies as well - but you should already be able to get a damn fine sound out of the things mentioned above.

How dare you share the way of the dark side!!!! You call yourself a line 6 user!!!!! Links to sites that aren't line 6 product??!! Amplitude????!! LOL LOL LOL JK :D  

P.S don't tell line 6 i prefer Kemper floorboards to Helix floor!!!  JK! I'm not rich and I prefer Helix     

3 minutes ago, Nylander88 said:

How dare you share the way of the dark side!!!! You call yourself a line 6 user!!!!! Links to sites that aren't line 6 product??!! Amplitude????!! LOL LOL LOL JK :D 

Well, I'm a Helix Native user and like it a lot, but as Line 6 has no feature reduced free version but just a demo which is causing plenty of trouble for plenty of people (may have changed with 1.9x), I can't recommend it for a testrun (and yes, I know you didn't ask for a serious answer...). And well, in addition, some of the Ignite Amps stuff is simply up to Helix quality.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, I'm a Helix Native user and like it a lot, but as Line 6 has no feature reduced free version but just a demo which is causing plenty of trouble for plenty of people (may have changed with 1.9x), I can't recommend it for a testrun (and yes, I know you didn't ask for a serious answer...). And well, in addition, some of the Ignite Amps stuff is simply up to Helix quality.

I'm good with that! There are some things I would choose over Line 6 stuff, like the Boss katana mkii vs. the Spider mkii. In a imaginary world I would buy both those amps.

1 hour ago, gmiskotten said:

What would you recommend for an output system?

It's going to vary based on your focus.  If you're starting off focused on recording and studio work you would likely be best off getting some very good headphones and studio monitors.  The Beyerdynamic headphone line is very popular with people doing modeling, particularly the DT770 80 ohm or even higher.  Studio monitors are a little tougher because there are some cheaper ones that sound pretty good, but the professional ones will give you overall better performance if you have a room for placing them correctly.  I'm a very big fan of Yamaha speakers and have owned HS7's for many years, but there are also some other very good ones in that price range.  In all speaker situations you get what you pay for, and that will reflect either positively or negatively on getting the tone you want from your modeler.

Once you start moving into live performance the range of options becomes much broader.  Some simply plug into a PA and let the stage monitors or in ear headphones provide the on stage sound.  Some, like myself, use powered PA speakers, or what's commonly called FRFR speakers so that I have my own dedicated on stage speaker along with my feed to the PA.  From there you can go many different directions such as a FRFR system in a cabinet arrangement like the Line 6 power cab, to an simple power amp and traditional cab, or even a 4cm arrangement with a traditional guitar amp and cab....  all of which have pro's and con's.  But that's all somewhere off in the future for you at this point, so just keep reading in the forums and you can begin to get an idea of what might suit you best.

As for studio monitors, look for the flattest response. The room you monitor in should also have a flat frequency response. Read the specs for the monitors you're considering and get the best you can afford. The room will require a spectrum analysis program for your OS system and a measurement microphone; some software can be had for free and affordable measurement mics are plentiful (as are expensive ones). Once you've bought your monitors, positioned the monitors, measured the room, and tuned the room as best you can, don't change or rearrange anything unless you plan to start the process all over. Next you need to break in your monitors by playing varied program material through your new monitors for a number of hours (use the widest range of program material available to you); every monitor is different when it comes to break-in time.

Once your monitors are broken in, start listening to recorded program material you are familiar with using your newly broken in monitors. Keep listening. And listening. Listen to all the music you are intimately familiar with at no less than 16/44.1; no mp3s or any other so-called "lossless" audio files and nothing online, even so called "HD streaming". Learning your monitors will take some time but once you know them you will be able to translate what you hear through your monitors in your "studio" space to other listening environments and "speakers".

Also, headphone require a break-in period as well.