Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode! Firmware upgrade from 2.3 to 2.92

eharding

Hello,

New Helix user here.  The Helix Floor came with firmware 2.30.

I  downloaded HX Edit 2.92.  I followed the install instructions as well as the backup instructions.  I then went through the firmware update.  Now the Helix will start up stating Firmware 2.92 and then it switches to Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode! with the sine waves moving below it.

When I start HX Edit, the sine waves on HX Edit are moving while it says "connecting" for a short time and then the Helix sine wave freezes and the HX Edit says "Reconnect.  Connection Interrupted." 

I'm running a Windows 7 laptop.  I have tried three cables and three USB ports.

If I shut down HX Edit and start Line 6 Updater, the screen will either be blank black or white with Account and About at the top, but I can't click on them.

Please help!

Thanks!

" Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode! with the sine waves moving below it." - This may take a while(20 minutes) when you update from 2.3 to 2.9

Try theses steps if you still have problems:

Turn off the Helix and close all line6/audio software.

Uninstall all line 6 software and drivers and reboot.

Reinstall the HX Edit package (2.92) - When you get to the options section of the install, leave them all checked.

Start the Helix with FS6 and FS12 pressed (update mode)

Start the LINE 6 Updater.

(...don't use a USB-HUB, try annother USB-port

if it still does not work use annother computer for the update)

Maks sure to either reboot or having a look into task manager before attempting to open the Line 6 updater. A stalled HX Edit will continue to run as a background service as long as you don't reboot or shut it down manually - and the updater won't work under that condition.
Also, use offline mode with the updater (you will need to download the firmware flash files for that to work).
And finally, as has been said, you may want to go into manual update mode by holding FSs 6 and 12 while booting the Helix before you do anything.

6 hours ago, eharding said:

Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!

Hi,

Jumping from v2.3 to 2.9 means that your Helix will have to go through the routine where the Core Operating System (v2.80) of the HX family of products changes drastically and many people found that it appears that your hardware is not responding. Actually it is, although it can seem to take an extremely long time to do this. Your Globals will be reset by the Core changes so make sure that you have a backup, if needed.

Anyhow, see both of the above posts regarding this issue, and also here is something I copied from another post I made regarding the offline way to install v2.92

Updated version of the notes posted previously for a Mac User, modified for a PC.

O.K. go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select HELIX, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as is, now select your PC Operating System from under the "-ALL OS-" tab. From the next page you can select the Firmware 2.92 Flash Memory for your Helix, then below that you will need the HX Edit 2.92. Now scroll further down the page a grab Line 6 Updater version 1.9. Download all these bits to your PC. If you have made any presets that you wish to keep then they need to be backed up using HX Edit prior to updating the Firmware. If everything if fine then proceed to next step. Ensure that HX Edit is closed and that you have your Helix connected to your PC by USB cable (do not use a hub) and launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your Helix and current firmware version should show in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you down loaded  and let it get on with the update.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Edited by datacommando
Note re: Globals

Hey everyone!

Thank you very much for helping me out.

I did try a different cable and two different USB ports on  a Win 10 desktop. 

I then followed Datacommando's instructions to the letter and was able to upgrade the firmware on the Helix and Powercab Plus 112 without any issue. 

Thanks again for everything!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 3:59 AM, silverhead said:

Is everyone experiencing this problem running Windows 10?

On 6/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Jumping from v2.3 to 2.9 means that your Helix will have to go through the routine where the Core Operating System (v2.80) of the HX family of products changes drastically and many people found that it appears that your hardware is not responding. Actually it is, although it can seem to take an extremely long time to do this. Your Globals will be reset by the Core changes so make sure that you have a backup, if needed.

Anyhow, see both of the above posts regarding this issue, and also here is something I copied from another post I made regarding the offline way to install v2.92

Updated version of the notes posted previously for a Mac User, modified for a PC.

O.K. go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select HELIX, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as is, now select your PC Operating System from under the "-ALL OS-" tab. From the next page you can select the Firmware 2.92 Flash Memory for your Helix, then below that you will need the HX Edit 2.92. Now scroll further down the page a grab Line 6 Updater version 1.9. Download all these bits to your PC. If you have made any presets that you wish to keep then they need to be backed up using HX Edit prior to updating the Firmware. If everything if fine then proceed to next step. Ensure that HX Edit is closed and that you have your Helix connected to your PC by USB cable (do not use a hub) and launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your Helix and current firmware version should show in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you down loaded  and let it get on with the update.

Hope this helps/makes sense

This makes a lot of sense, but, just not in my situation. After getting the dreaded "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode" message, my Helix LT is now in "Entered Update Mode" after I turned the Helix LT off then turned it back on again while holding down the FS6 (Mode) and FS12 (Tap/Tuner) buttons. The problem I have is that the software on my Windows 10 Pro, Toshiba Kira Core i7 Ultrabook laptop is not seeing the Helix LT through the supplied USB (Printer type) cable; the software does not recognise the connection. Everything is greyed out or does not appear as an option, presumably because it is in Update Mode. I've found that one of my three USB2 ports (the least used one) will now allow the recognition of the Helix LT on the very top line next to "HX Edit" of the HX Edit 2.92 screen. Hitting the "Reconnect" button on the bottom line of that screen, only produces the red "Connection Interrupted" message. Maybe my other two USB 2 ports have dodgy connections.

I don't know where to go next!? I've tried another USB cable and the three USB ports, as I've said, and it's not connected to a hub. I just don't seem to be able to progress past this point. Any other ideas?

18 minutes ago, mjcussen said:

This makes a lot of sense, but, just not in my situation. After getting the dreaded "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode" message, my Helix LT is now in "Entered Update Mode" after I turned the Helix LT off then turned it back on again while holding down the FS6 (Mode) and FS12 (Tap/Tuner) buttons. The problem I have is that the software on my Windows 10 Pro, Toshiba Kira Core i7 Ultrabook laptop is not seeing the Helix LT through the supplied USB (Printer type) cable; the software does not recognise the connection. Everything is greyed out or does not appear as an option, presumably because it is in Update Mode. I don't know where to go next!? I've tried another USB cable and the three ports that I have available and it's not connected to a hub. Not a sausage!

Did you try the Line 6 Updater instead of HX Edit?

33 minutes ago, mjcussen said:

This makes a lot of sense, but, just not in my situation. After getting the dreaded "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode" message, my Helix LT is now in "Entered Update Mode" after I turned the Helix LT off then turned it back on again while holding down the FS6 (Mode) and FS12 (Tap/Tuner) buttons. The problem I have is that the software on my Windows 10 Pro, Toshiba Kira Core i7 Ultrabook laptop is not seeing the Helix LT through the supplied USB (Printer type) cable; the software does not recognise the connection. Everything is greyed out or does not appear as an option, presumably because it is in Update Mode. I don't know where to go next!? I've tried another USB cable and the three ports that I have available and it's not connected to a hub. Not a sausage!

Here ya go - a full list of reset options for you to try - you will lose all your presets (you did make a backup, didn’t you?)

See if one of these can breathe some life into your LT - they very rarely die totally.

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination

Description

LED light Fun

3 & 4

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

1 hour ago, SaschaFranck said:

Oh right, didn't read carefully.

Hi, yes I did thanks. I've since discovered another minor complication. When the Helix LT is first turned on and showing "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" message and the HX Edit is first opened, HX Edit will identify the "Helix LT" on the top line. If the HX Edit is turned off and back on again, it will no longer identify the "Helix LT" on the top line. I would need to turn the Helix LT off and on to "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" and relaunch HX Edit to see "Helix LT" on the top line, of HX Edit, again. Of no real help really!

As you're on Windows: Forget about HX Edit entirely for now. Don't start it again! In case it fails to connect to the Helix, it'll continue to run as a service in the background. This explains that you can't restart it. It also explains why using the Updater might be fruitless, because in case you've started it without rebooting your computer beforehand, HX Edit still running as a service in background will spoil the experience.

So, you can now go to the task manager and kill the service, but if I were you, I'd simply reboot and not touch HX Edit at all but check the Updater straight away.

• 3 months later...

I got the same "Boot failure. Entered update mode!" message that doesn't change.  My difference to other's is that the corner has a red ":-24" rather than :-3.  I don't know if this code means anything.  I've tried everything with the installing hx edit before updater, tried different firmwares and USB ports.  It always seems to be flashing fine until the end of the bar where the pc says the device will restart, and it restarts with the normal startup screen for halfway then the boot error. 

8 hours ago, stevenrb718 said:

I got the same "Boot failure. Entered update mode!" message that doesn't change.  My difference to other's is that the corner has a red ":-24" rather than :-3.  I don't know if this code means anything.  I've tried everything with the installing hx edit before updater, tried different firmwares and USB ports.  It always seems to be flashing fine until the end of the bar where the pc says the device will restart, and it restarts with the normal startup screen for halfway then the boot error. 

Hi,

I will assume that you have read through and tried all the suggestions posted here, but let’s just give this one more go around.

You don’t mention what your computer and OS are, but I will guess Windows - plus the routine should be the same for Mac.

1. Remove all Line 6 software from your computer especially the Windows drivers and then restart your computer.
  2. Make sure to turn off the power to your Helix.
  3. Unplug the USB cable from the computer and Helix.
  4. Hold down FS6 & FS12 and the turn power on and when Helix logo appears, quickly release both foot switches. Leave it powered up.
  5. Download the and install latest HX Edit v. 3 (with all the drivers)
  6. Reconnect the USB cable to Helix and computer - Do not use a Hub.
  7. Find and launch the Line 6 Updater and re-install the v.3.01 firmware file

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

I will assume that you have read through and tried all the suggestions posted here, but let’s just give this one more go around.

You don’t mention what your computer and OS are, but I will guess Windows - plus the routine should be the same for Mac.

1. Remove all Line 6 software from your computer especially the Windows drivers and then restart your computer.
  2. Make sure to turn off the power to your Helix.
  3. Unplug the USB cable from the computer and Helix.
  4. Hold down FS6 & FS12 and the turn power on and when Helix logo appears, quickly release both foot switches. Leave it powered up.
  5. Download the and install latest HX Edit v. 3 (with all the drivers)
  6. Reconnect the USB cable to Helix and computer - Do not use a Hub.
  7. Find and launch the Line 6 Updater and re-install the v.3.01 firmware file

Hope this helps/makes sense.

It made complete sense and I appreciate the help.  Unfortunately it's the same method I tried before, and I did it to a T again with the same results.  I also cannot load into the test mode.  All of the loading button combinations result in the boot failure screen besides the update mode.  It seems I'm not having any issues with the computer side of things, other than possibly a mid-update hangup upon restart.  Would a different firmware result in a more streamlined boot sequence?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stevenrb718 said:

It made complete sense and I appreciate the help.  Unfortunately it's the same method I tried before, and I did it to a T again with the same results.  I also cannot load into the test mode.  All of the loading button combinations result in the boot failure screen besides the update mode.  It seems I'm not having any issues with the computer side of things, other than possibly a mid-update hangup upon restart.  Would a different firmware result in a more streamlined boot sequence?  

Oh, no! I was hoping that might work, and as it appears that you have tried all the other options posted in the forum it looks like that’s all I had to offer. Beyond being able to “kickstart” the software, it will more than likely need an engineer to whip the lid off and probe around inside with the appropriate test gear. Sadly, that’s not something I can help with, being just a regular user along with most other contributors on here.

Time to open a ticket with Customer Support.

I realise this is not a great help, but good luck with getting it fixed soon.