Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Toneport UX2 and Helix Native

-chino-

Hi all, I'm still using my old Toneport UX2 for playing at home and sometimes recording. I wonder if it's time now to buy something new, like another interface that may work better with Helix Native? I heard that the dynamic range of older interfaces don't work so good with Helix. Does it make sense to buy something like the Helix LT just for home use? Switching the amps or effects with a pedal board may be more fun than by mouse. But I don't know if it's justifies the higher costs. 

Hard to say. For sure using an LT for playing would be more fun with foot switches. And the guitar input would be an improvement as an interface over over the dated Toneport UX2 (though its hard to tell how much of a difference you would hear on your setup). That said, I would base your decision on how your cash flow is. It often comes down to fun vs money (but gear lust can be an addiction). You could also consider selling your Helix Native (through this forum) for a little cash, and buying a Helix LT for your recording and playing "live" needs.

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat as -chino-. Been using UX2 for years, and recently downloaded the Helix Native trial. I set up the Helix Native plugin in Ableton, and it seems to work great with no perceptible latency. I really only plan on using this in my office while recording right now, but do want as good of quality I can get within reasonable constraints. I'm wondering if there's a quantifiable reason that I should use a newer audio interface than UX2 if all I really care about in the interface is the quality of the dry signal that's output (specifically looking at the HX Stomp and then the $99 Helix Native upgrade)? -chino- mentions dynamic range could be an issue. I did some research, and see that Helix LT, for instance, provides "Uncompromised Helix sound quality with 123 dB of dynamic range" (per Line 6 website). Only thing I can find on the UX2 for this is the relative statement that "UX2 provides the lowest noise for recording guitar with 12dB more dynamic range than similar interfaces". If dynamic range is a factor, does anyone know what the actual UX2 dynamic range is? And are there any other specs that can be used to compare quality of purely the guitar audio interfaces (excluding number of ports, mic, midi, software, etc)?

• 2 months later...

I have a UX1 and can't say as of now, but... I'm using Helix Native as a VST in Cubase and it sounds fantastic.

I ran my Mother-32 through my UX1 and that was sweet. I wanna use my Mother-32 through the UX1 but i'm in a practise and learn more about the guitar this week (learn from vids i downloaded from youtube offline) I really wanna try my old XP desktop with my Mother-32 out of the UX1 and into my Babyface Pro FS but like i said... Practise guitar. I've been playing since 87' but seem to have excelled since 95' with a long break then my dad died in 2012 and recorded a bunch of stuff in 14' and have alot of stuff to mix and master that i know i won't get any help with. I'm gonna make a cd for local folks with pro mastering but it's really expensive. I'm going to try to have 5-6 tracks mastered at $60.00 a song. I could really use a subwoofer with my monitors, though i think i'll only be able to mix reference pre-master worj on an old home theater system. Wish me luck!