Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PODxt Upgrade

adam79

I've finally got the cash to upgrade from my PODxt. I use it to record at home; I can't make enough noise here for an amp.

I got $200 to spend on something used (I'll throw in a bit more if the price is close enough). I don't wanna bother upgrading unless I'm improving the overall sound quality / realism and getting a better clean tone.

Any suggestions? It doesn't matter to me whether it's a physical unit or Amp Sim.

Thanks.

I would suggest keeping what you have and keep saving up money.  The PODHD is a better unit than what you have but you could save up a little more money and get something current like the Line6 HX Stomp or POD Go that's a lot better.

Not everyone but many members over here (in this forum dedicated to the POD HD series) switched from the XT or X3 to the HD.
Therefore I guess that the answer to your question should be quite obvious or the expected one, (probably also the one which you would like to hear in this moment as an encouragement to take the plunge), otherwise we would all be fools who like to throw money in the trash.

I am one of those who several years ago switched from a XTL to the HD500, and I consider the HD a better modeler and multi-fx than the XTL, the main reasons for me are: improved dynamics/touch-volume sensitivity, 2 parallel chains, great flexibility.

However the HD is not a so easy device for a new owner, I wouldn't call it as a "plug and play" modeler, there is a learning curve necessary to get the best results, but the results pay off for the efforts, and once the experience has matured everything becomes very simple and immediate.

Trying this modeler live before deciding to buy would be a good idea.

Spending around 200 bucks I guess that currently there are not many other used hardware units worth considering.
If going via software sim could be also a good solution for you, I would suggest Scuffham S-Gear, it doesn't cost too much but its amp models are top class.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Save at little and get the POD GO....The layout is similar to the XT. However, you get Helix Amp models, FX and you can put the chain of FX in any order you like. It also has a true dual mode that HD does not do well. For recording, it also has re-amping ability that HD does not have either. There are several other features that make it a remarkable value IMO.

After 10 years in POD HD, I have moved to the GO. I miss a few small abilities like dual amps, but the quality of the models, compact design and true dual mode was enough to convince me to switch.

The POD GO certainly has some appealing features but compared to the HD500/X it lacks others which are important to me and which are some of the reasons why I chose the HD500 years ago..

HD500/X features missing in the POD GO:

- full flexibility (FX placement)
- 2 independent chains (amp models)
- MIC input with its preamp
- dedicated AUX input (not integrated in the FX LOOP)
- VDI socket to power and directly connect the Variax that I often use

From my point of view at the moment the only worthy successor/replacement of the HD500/X could be the Helix LT if it didn't cost new about twice the price of an HD500X, which still remains a good quality modeler multi-fx.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

1 hour ago, joel_brown said:

He's upgrading from a PODxt, not HD500.

I knew it mr brown..

mine was not a direct reply to the OP but it was more of a comment to the previous post where the guy said that he switched from HD to POD GO for his valid reasons ..

my post simply shows a different point of view of someone like me who wants also certain HD500/X features very difficult to find in other devices in the same price range new like the POD GO and others ..

therefore IMO it might be useful for those who are trying to evaluate all the pros and cons of some devices before deciding which one to buy,

and since among the candidates for the purchase there is also the used HD500/X otherwise the OP probably would not have asked his question in this specific forum, my post does not seem out of place.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

1 hour ago, joel_brown said:

In his first post was he said he was most concerned with tone.

What's wrong with the tone of the HD500/X, and in particular with the clean tone that is what the OP is primarily interested in?
There are not many doubts that it is more realistic than that of the XT,
especially for the dynamic response.

With about $ 200 for a used HD500/X he can have his more realistic clean tones and much else.

If we want to talk instead only about top quality amp modeling, given that the OP put an expense of 200 dollars as a limit, and that even a software amp sim would be fine, I recommended S-Gear as a top class amp modeler (that is what it is), which as regards clean and semi distorted sounds has nothing to envy to an Axe Fx or Kemper, and costs less than $ 200.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

If you have a powerful enough computer to run it, I'd go with Helix Native.

It's the complete flagship model on your computer for $399.99, which is less than the POD GO.

That said, the POD GO is $449.99 at Sweetwater right now if you don't always want to be tied to a computer.

With a limit of $200... my first suggestion is - stick it under your mattress until the unit breaks. 

Probably between now and then, you'll need it to buy smokes or something. 

But, since no one has common sense when it comes to money.... 

My next suggestion would be:  

With a limit of $200 - keep the unit until it breaks. 

You don't really have many options in that (used) price range. And nothing available (to my knowledge) is going to give you such an absolute 'holy cow, that's awesome' kind of a tone to justify getting rid of a fully functional unit. 

Now, had you said... 

I am completely ampless. This is my entire rig. I use it at home to record, AND I use it live. 

Different story. Then, with that cash limit, maybe we would suggest a used 500. 

I agree in this sense--if you are recording and performing with it now, use it until it's no longer viable. Use that long road ahead to save up for something that suits your needs.

I think it's better to get a piece of kit that might last you 5 years (or even 20) than it is to buy a small upgrade that you'll turn around and sell in one.

It's a mistake I've made many times.