Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New FRFR day...

codamedia

First a quick backstory... I rarely need an FRFR. Most of my gigs have great monitor rigs and many of my gigs are in-ears so I don't require an FRFR very often - but there are times I need it. Usually gigs with inadequate monitor rigs and on rare occasion a legion or small room gig where the FOH is vocal only.

With the smaller gigs coming back it was time to update my FRFR solution. I read many topics here and weighed my options carefully. I ended up rolling the dice on something NOBODY is mentioning. The Cerwin Vega CVE-10. Got it home, plugged it in, WOW! My Helix patches are alive and well, exactly what I was hoping for. Granted.... this is at home! I have a couple gigs this weekend so I do still reserve judgement on how they do at a GIG. 

Although I opted for the 10" version, there is also a 12" and 15" available. 1000 watts, 5 DSP modes, 2 multi-channels & bluetooth (although I doubt I will ever use that)

If this thread shows any interest I will post an update after I get a couple gigs over with. 

I'm in Canada and our local chain (Long & McQuade) carries them. I've liked many Cerwin Vega products in the past so this CVE line intrigued me.... L&M put it on sale for the month so I figured it's a good time to try.

I'm in a no lose situation... if it ends up being a dud, L&M has a great return policy. and no shortage of other products to choose from. But for some reason, I don't think I have to worry about that.

• Like 1

Actually I'm encouraged to hear Cerwin Vega is producing some recognizably good products again.  They were at the very top end of gear back in my younger days and fell from grace in the 70's.  It would be nice to see them establish that reputation again.

Hm, for whatever reasons, the prices over here are extremely varying (from €215 to €350}.
Got good memories about a Cerwin Vega power amp I owned plenty of years back, they've been a pretty solid company then.

In case of this particular monitor, I wouldn't know whether I'd like to go without an XLR in, but for a modeler monitoring scenario, it might be less relevant.

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Hm, for whatever reasons, the prices over here are extremely varying (from €215 to €350}.
Got good memories about a Cerwin Vega power amp I owned plenty of years back, they've been a pretty solid company then.

In case of this particular monitor, I wouldn't know whether I'd like to go without an XLR in, but for a modeler monitoring scenario, it might be less relevant.

I believe those are combined 1/4 and XLR inputs on the back.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Yeah, you're right (been wondering already, becaus 1/4 only would be quite strange these days), the picture I looked at has been too dark.

If the CV doesn't work out for you, I recommend you consider the Yorkville YX10P - somewhere here on the forum I posted some details about my experiences with this model, including a comparison session with the higher-end version E10P, which on paper looked like a surefire winner, but in practice there was 'something' which didn't sound as sweet as the YX10P - my good friend likely identified it precisely when he pointed out that the crossover point is a bit different between the two, with the YX10P having a bit more ear-pleasing result.

They're a simpler, less feature-rich solution as compared to the CVE-10, without a doubt.

However, if the sound of the CV doesn't quite do it for you, I suggest it's worth a listen.

And I'll be watching this thread to see how your CV experience goes - which could trigger a test-drive/comparison session for me.

Good luck - hope it works great for you.

6 hours ago, MonkeyXT said:

If the CV doesn't work out for you, I recommend you consider the Yorkville YX10P

There is no question if the Cerwin Vega falls short I will most likely go with a Yorkville. The YX10p was already on my shortlist.... as was an NX25. If was going to spend more than that I would just get a PowerCab.  

I have to admit... had the CVE-10 not been on sale this month I might have passed it by.... but $399 CAD (about $300USD) was hard to pass up for the features. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

In case of this particular monitor, I wouldn't know whether I'd like to go without an XLR in,

8 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

7 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Yeah, you're right (been wondering already, becaus 1/4 only would be quite strange these days), the picture I looked at has been too dark.

Just to confirm for anyone wondering, Yes... those are combo jacks. XLR/TRS/TS

Fwiw, regarding Yorkville, I heard great things about one of their coaxial monitors. No idea about the model name anymore (they're not available anywhere in Europe, so I have to pass...), sorry.

If I will update my monitors one day, I'll certainly be looking into something coaxial as they're said to cause somewhat less phase issues (which can become an issue in case you're pretty close on almost all stock 2-way monitors) and most people also seem to think of them as "feeling" a bit more like a guitar cab.

50 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Fwiw, regarding Yorkville, I heard great things about one of their coaxial monitors. No idea about the model name anymore (they're not available anywhere in Europe, so I have to pass...), sorry.

IMO... we are spoiled here in Canada... 

• Long & Mcquade is our major music chain, coast to coast....  and they also own Yorkville. 
  • Yorkville is solid, gig worthy gear that has options at every price point (low end to very high end)
  • Translation: If you own Yorkville gear, you are never very far from repair/replacement, but at the quality of the gear - you rarely need it! 

Yorkville is the PRO Division name.... PA, Monitors, Speakers, etc... etc... 

Guitar players are likely more familiar with the name "Traynor"... great sounding amps! That is also Yorkville!

As for the coaxial monitors, I'm not sure I have seen those from Yorkville. I agree with your thoughts/idea's of coax monitors, I just can't say I'm familiar with any Yorkville models. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Actually I'm encouraged to hear Cerwin Vega is producing some recognizably good products again.  They were at the very top end of gear back in my younger days and fell from grace in the 70's.  It would be nice to see them establish that reputation again.

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega 5-1/4" component car speakers still. I had them in my first truck nearly 25 years ago. Sounded great then, still sound great now, although they are now in my car. Same pair, still going strong.

4 hours ago, codamedia said:

There is no question if the Cerwin Vega falls short I will most likely go with a Yorkville. The YX10p was already on my shortlist.... as was an NX25. If was going to spend more than that I would just get a PowerCab.  

I have to admit... had the CVE-10 not been on sale this month I might have passed it by.... but $399 CAD (about $300USD) was hard to pass up for the features. 

I recall someone mentioning working with one of the NX units.

At my suggestion, while at my local Long & McQuade location, there was a unique opportunity to do an A/B comparison between a YX10P and one of the Friedman powered FRFR 12" cabs which had just come in on trade.

The YX held its own very very well - the employee who was interested in this comparison and had been considering grabbing the Friedman instantly changed plans and went with the YX10P.

7 hours ago, codamedia said:

As for the coaxial monitors, I'm not sure I have seen those from Yorkville. I agree with your thoughts/idea's of coax monitors, I just can't say I'm familiar with any Yorkville models.

I think it's been these that I've seen mentioned:

http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/nx/product/nx10c/

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2020 at 1:22 PM, codamedia said:

Yes, I forgot about those. They are a couple hundred more than I was wanting to spend, but they do look like a viable option. 

Yeah, they're kinda costly - but among the coaxial bunch they're comparatively cheap. Wish I could check one out somewhere...

First Gig yesterday..... quick update on the Cerwin Vega.

• Sounded great. I initially had the DSP set to "Monitor", but after trying "Mix/Flat" I preferred that setting. 
  • More than enough volume. On stage beside me was one of the loudest singers/players in the city and I had no problem keeping up with his Mesa. I don't like the levels I am forced to play at with this front man, but at least I know I can!

Just a couple of nagging items...

• The wedge angle is great, but the footprint of the wedge is small. Probably not a big deal, and likely nice to keep the bass coupling to a minimum.... but I would prefer it a little sturdier in that position.
  • No top handle! This is not a very big unit so grabbing a top handle would provide more than enough lift. Instead, you have to flip it to it' side and grab a side handle for transport. 
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

@MonkeyXT Are you still using the YX10P? I was considering the Headrush FRFR-108 but so many people suggest it has too much bass. I can rent a YX10P from L&M locally but I can't compare it to the headrush. I like that the YX10P has a bass and treble control rather than a simple contour switch. The YXL10P also seems interesting. More features for the same money but no independent EQ, just three fixed settings. L&M sells rental units at a discount based on the number of days it has been rented. Any idea how much a speaker degrades over time? The sales rep suggested they are very rugged and the discount is mostly based on cosmetics rather than sound quality.

3 hours ago, usedbyanr said:

Any idea how much a speaker degrades over time? The sales rep suggested they are very rugged and the discount is mostly based on cosmetics rather than sound quality.

IME....Whether or not a used speaker sounds the same as new at that time I am looking to buy it doesn't matter to me . It just needs to sound great, and work under pressure! 

On 7/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, usedbyanr said:

@MonkeyXT Are you still using the YX10P? I was considering the Headrush FRFR-108 but so many people suggest it has too much bass. I can rent a YX10P from L&M locally but I can't compare it to the headrush. I like that the YX10P has a bass and treble control rather than a simple contour switch. The YXL10P also seems interesting. More features for the same money but no independent EQ, just three fixed settings. L&M sells rental units at a discount based on the number of days it has been rented. Any idea how much a speaker degrades over time? The sales rep suggested they are very rugged and the discount is mostly based on cosmetics rather than sound quality.

Hey.

Absolutely I am - a pair of them.

They sound great - and I've compared them to a few things...

Speakers actually tend to sound better when they're worked in some I find; other input would be welcome here on this sub-topic.

I wouldn't hesitate to test-drive and even take a rental - I did... and bought brand new and have been working them in =]