Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

my old xt live hardware problem - worth trying to get fixed?

donkelley

I'm a helix LT user, but still have my old xt live here.  My old XT live died a while back when I used a guitar input cable that turned out to be shorted out internally.

so something broke and it shows an error when you start it up.

Is there an economical way to repair an old xt live?  like, assuming it's the input board circuitry, can that just be replaced, and are parts available anywhere and at reasonable costs?

I won't spend a hundred bucks repairing a board that is worth 125 used now or whatever... but if it's half that, it would be worth my while.

You’d need to get a diagnosis and estimate from an authorized Line 6 service centre. Otherwise you are right - you’re assuming that you know what the problem is, and would perhaps be performing unnecessary and expensive DIY repairs that might not fix the problem.

I agree with silverhead.  I bought a Bass Pod ages ago, and it had a major problem, only about 2 years after I bought it.  I took it to an authorized service center & they said it would be about $100, and couldn't promise how well the fix would work.  So I bought a new Bass PodXT instead, a long time ago, and I haven't had any problem with that as of yet.

k.  Figured with an old device, generally I ask in a user forum since folks get these things replaced or sometimes do their own replacement of modules.  I use a helix - just figured if it's something others have encountered, shorting out the input jack, if maybe it's a simple component to repair.

I do a lot of electronics work.  I wonder what would count as an official Line 6 service center here in small town Canada?

Cheers

18 minutes ago, donkelley said:

......  I wonder what would count as an official Line 6 service center here in small town Canada?

Cheers

Call your nearest Long & McQuade store. They will be able to send the device to the nearest Yorkville service center.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  Again, not my point.... figured it was a DIY thing.  These don't sell for much money any more after all. 

But L&M is a good place to start I guess.  Doesn't cost money to find out what repairs would cost :-)

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Just an update - I finally dug this beast out again, and turned it on, still had the problems.  no display (blank), amp stomp and mod buttons (I think those were the 3) were lit up, nothing responded.  I saw somewhere the post about holding down save and edit on startup, then hitting output mode, and voila!!!! My old XT Live is ALIVE AGAIN!

After all this time, I thought it was a hardware fault - but no, it was just firmware that was stuck in a strange state.

YAY!  Now I have a helix LT and an XT Live.  Hm.... what to do with the xt live...