Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 Strange behavior - loss of preset

wijobe

I am a relatively new POD HD500 user, just bought a used one a few weeks ago.

I use it through L6Link (XLR cables) w/ my Line6 DT25 112 combo.

Yesterday during testing w/ my band, something strange happened.

In general I use 2 banks of presets within the user setlist#1 - 1A through 2D.

Depending on the songs we played yesterday I switched between presets in the 2nd bank (2A to 2D) of this setlist which contain AC15 pre, AC30pre, BF Double pre, and BF 'Lux pre, all in combination w/ some FX's.

All of a sudden I noticed that preset 2B no longer contained the AC30pre but had been overwritten by a preset called 'Middle Pups' (which sounds funny in German, BTW) w/o me having changed or saved anything! Looking at the list of presets, I saw, that 'Middle Pups' usually is on 2B of the setlist L6LINK<->DT. So, it obviously was copied from 2B of one setlist to 2B of another setlist w/o any user action.

Any idea how something like this can happen? Has anyone made a similar experience?

Regards from Germany

Wilfried

if it had been connected to the computer maybe some remote explanation would have been possible ..

Frankly I think it is impossible that the POD can do by itself what you have described, but you never know ..

sure it wasn't a friend's joke? .. even the choice of that specific preset
'Middle Pups' which sounds funny in German as you said doesn't seem so random ..
maybe it happened during a break while you went to pee LOL

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

10 hours ago, hurghanico said:

Frankly I think it is impossible that the POD can do by itself what you have described, but you never know ..

That's what I thought, but it happened....

10 hours ago, hurghanico said:

sure it wasn't a friend's joke? .. even the choice of that specific preset 'Middle Pups' which sounds funny in German as you said doesn't seem so random ..

Funny idea, but I am sure it was not a joke - actually, I did not leave my place, not even for the john ;-)

I believe this is more of a digital issue. Either a software bug that causes this behavior from time to time (and that's why I am asking if anybody made a similar experience) or a hardware issue in the memory section of the POD or even kind of an EMC problem - I will replace the 'normal' XLR cable by a  proposed AES/EBU version to see if this helps.

Moving a preset from a setlist to the one currently in use in the same slot would require at least 7 different actions in sequence on the device using different buttons and knobs.

It is also difficult to hypothesize that it may be due to a worn SAVE button that triggers its function by itself, because even if it was, it would not be enough by itself to make a move from setlist to setlist.

Maybe something strange happened in the interaction between the POD and the DT amp connected via Line6 link.

What to say?

When the problems remain shrouded in mystery, the cure for several ills (if it works) always remains the same here (a bit like aspirin in the old days):

1. save your presets to your computer
  2. re-install the firmware
  3. do a global reset
  4. do a pedal calibration
  5. upload your previouly saved presets back to your device

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

12 minutes ago, wijobe said:

I did this two weeks ago, when I got the POD, though.

the problem is that unfortunately the "cure" itself is sometimes the origin of the problem if it does not happen 100% correctly in which case not always there would be notifications.

it is also important to do a global reset and a pedal calibration after each firmware re-installation, just to avoid strange and unexpected device behaviors.

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/pod/pod-hd500-hd500x/after-pod-hd500x500-flashre-flashupdate-mandatory-global-settings-reset33-r160/

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 5 months later...