Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V 60 - Cab settings

Stewartcmiller

Hi. I have finally installed the Spider remote on my PC and been spending extensive time try to play with settings on my Spider V 60. Running the MKII firmware.

i.e. Choosing different amps/cabs/pedals etc.

Great improvement over doing it via an app!

Something that I clearly hear a difference with is if I change from amp to amp or engage a distortion pedal or change between classic or full range mode or turn up drive/bass/mids etc.

Where I hear absolutely no difference is if I stay with one Amp type, and then scroll through the different cabs.

Whether through the amp's speaker or through headphones I simply cannot determine any change in sound. I will for example strum a chord and then flip through 4 or 5 cabs or change a cab and then restrum the chord, but hear no difference.

Am I doing something wrong? Or are the differences between cabs so subtle that you "don't" hear a difference.

Thanks.

I am new to the amp as well but do notice a subtle change when switching cabinets. It’s much more noticeable obviously switching from amp to amp but switching mics/position makes some difference with the cabinets. Perhaps higher volumes might make a bigger difference. 

When you are in Classic mode, it bypasses the cabinet modeling because the amp model is tweaked to sound through the speaker. The Full Range mode is more like sending the amp model through a PA speaker with a tweeter (like the one built into the Spider V's). So in Full Range mode the amp model is sent to the speaker cabinet model to emulate the sound of a recorded amp.  That's why you have a whole range of different speaker cab models to choose from.

Use whichever sounds best to you. IMO, the Classic mode sounds much better than most of the amp models in the Full Range mode. The Full Range mode is still useful to me when playing an acoustic guitar or other acoustic instrument.

Thanks Grtman for the response. Some more questions from me please due to my lack of experience with real amp and cabs  :-)

If I understand you correctly in the Classic mode, all I am doing is changing the "Head" by choosing different modeling amps, but my "Cab" which is the 10' speaker built into the Spider V 60 is the static "Cab"? The ability to change the cab like I could do with a real head/cab combo is not possible with the Spider V (in classic mode)?

I also believe a real life 2 or 4 speaker Cabinet has no tweeter? Guitar typically fills the miid-range?

I understand what you mean with Full range mode, that both the amp model and cabinet model are engaged, but don't quite understand how the sound of a recorded (aka miked up) amp/cab combo (which is what you mention is being emulated) differs in sound compared to if you were standing in front of a combo in a room and playing? Simply don't have that experience.

Finally why is the tweeter included on the Spider V? It was not on the Spider IV. Simply to make the backing tracks sound better?

You mention emulating sound going through a PA speaker with a tweeter. Does a real guitar amp even produce sounds “high/trebly” enough to send anything through the tweeter?

Excuse what are probably many Noob type questions, but only started digging into this side of playing recently and is a science unto itself.....

Thanks