Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX stomp channel switching, avoid LED change by FS touch?

offrhodes

Hi,

I tried to implement channel switching by putting two amps (Lonestar ch1 and ch2) in series, bypassing one and assigning a footswitch as enable / disable for both.

The problem is, when I only touch the footswitch, the display will cycle between the two assigned effects, and the LED inverts. Effectively, the LED is random and useless to indicate "channel" state.

Is there a clever way around this? It seems like a fairly common use case for footswitches...

Setup the HX the way you want it... then go to Global settings and turn off the touch capacitance switches! 

Now test the setup to see if everything is working as you expect! (the amp and led should now toggle with the "press" of a switch, without surprises)

The touch sensitive switches can create some confusing moments. IME... even through shoes I find they will trigger when I least expect it. For that reason, I turn on "touch" when I am doing a lot of programming, but turn it back off for actual use of the unit! 

• Upvote 1

Thanks, but where would I do this?

There is "Global Settings", "Footswitches" page, "Stomp select". I have this set to "Press" (with the other options being "Touch" and "Both"). See manual page 42.

Touching the button does not select assigned blocks for editing anymore, but it still toggles between LED states and selected amps in the standard "Stomp mode" play view.

In other words, touching toggles between

"CaliTexas Ch2", LED dark and

"Cali Texas Ch1", LED bright

but does not audibly change the amps.

When I hit the button, the amp currently on the display remains unchanged but the LED toggles and audio changes to the other amp.

Is this maybe a firmware bug? I'm running the latest 2.92.

There was a very similar-sounding bugfix in 2.92:

When Global Settings > Footswitches > Stomp Select is set to "Off" or "Press," touch-holding switches could still result in assignment and swap dialogs—FIXED

but I can't find my problem under "known issues".

The problem persists with USB disconnected and after reboot. I've tried assigning two blocks in a different preset, and the problematic behavior is the same.

22 hours ago, offrhodes said:

There is "Global Settings", "Footswitches" page, "Stomp select". I have this set to "Press" (with the other options being "Touch" and "Both"). See manual page 42.

You got the right setting

That is exactly how it works when "touch" is on, and you are setting up the unit to function the way you want. It allows you to set the LED status. 

When I hit the button, the amp currently on the display remains unchanged but the LED toggles and audio changes to the other amp.

I am pretty sure this is correct behaviour as well. The NAME can only be one thing... the LED status will indicate which channel (amp) is active. My solution around this is to CUSTOMIZE the name.... (eg: CALI 1 or CALI 2) then visually when the LED is bright it will be the name presented. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 3:33 PM, codamedia said:

That is exactly how it works when "touch" is on, and you are setting up the unit to function the way you want. It allows you to set the LED status. 

But can anybody please explain how to get rid of this behavior?

Just to be clear: Changing the global setting "Stomp select" to "Press" does NOT prevent touching the footswitch from toggling the LED.

I believe this is a firmware bug and it would be nice if someone else could confirm it so it gets fixed.

1 hour ago, offrhodes said:

Just to be clear: Changing the global setting "Stomp select" to "Press" does NOT prevent touching the footswitch from toggling the LED.

You are right, this may be a bug.... setting it to PRESS should stop a touch from toggling the LED. 

Have you tried setting it to NONE or OFF (whatever the wording is... I'm not near my machine right now to check)

3 hours ago, offrhodes said:

But in 2.92 there appears to be no such setting.

Choices are "Touch", "Press", "Both".

Another example as to why I really need to stop making ANY assumptions ever - LOL!

My Helix has OFF, TOUCH, PRESS, TOUCH & PRESS.... I assumed the stomp also had the OFF setting. Sorry for confusing this matter. 

I would submit a ticket to Line 6, point out the problem and see what they have to say about it. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2020 at 10:39 AM, offrhodes said:

When Global Settings > Footswitches > Stomp Select is set to "Off" or "Press," touch-holding switches could still result in assignment and swap dialogs—FIXED

The problem persists with USB disconnected and after reboot. I've tried assigning two blocks in a different preset, and the problematic behavior is the same.

I'm probably missing something but this seems to be working as intended. Touching a footswitch was never designed to "audibly change the amps". What behavior do you think touching the capacitance sensitive switch should have? Can you describe the behavior you would like to see. Is the focus not changing to the block you think it should? Not quite understanding what the issue is here?

As codamedia indicated, typically on the Helix(don't have an HX stomp), the behavior you seem to be describing is used to bring focus to the block assigned to the footswitch. It is also used to toggle the LED status(on or off) such that for an example of two blocks assigned to the same switch("Multi"), if you want the LED to come on when you turn a distortion block on and simultaneously bypass the compressor, it lights up. Or the reverse if you prefer, the light comes on when you turn the compressor on and the distortion off.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:27 AM, offrhodes said:

Hi,

I tried to implement channel switching by putting two amps (Lonestar ch1 and ch2) in series, bypassing one and assigning a footswitch as enable / disable for both.

The problem is, when I only touch the footswitch, the display will cycle between the two assigned effects, and the LED inverts. Effectively, the LED is random and useless to indicate "channel" state.

Is there a clever way around this? It seems like a fairly common use case for footswitches...

On 6/20/2020 at 10:39 AM, offrhodes said:

Touching the button does not select assigned blocks for editing anymore, but it still toggles between LED states and selected amps in the standard "Stomp mode" play view.

2 hours ago, offrhodes said:

Hi "HonestOpinion".

would you kindly re-read the original post please :)

Hi, I reread your original post as well as the second one you posted and still not clear entirely clear what the issue is although it does appear you may have discovered a bug. That is why I asked for further clarification. Maybe this is just some confusion on my part as to how the HX Stomp works as I have a Helix but the behavior you are describing seems to be, at least in part, as designed. Your post seems to be addressing two issues. The first being that the "Touch, Press, Both" options do not appear to be working as expected. You may indeed have found a bug there and perhaps the LED should not be switching when "Press" is set. Not sure if there is a difference in the way they programmed this to work between the Helix and the HX Stomp but your experience definitely does not seem to be per what the manual indicates. The second issue would be the rest of the behavior of the touch & press which appear to be operating the way I would expect.

Here is one point of minor confusion for me. Your first post states "the display will cycle between the two assigned effects, and the LED inverts". Were you referring to the amp blocks and not effects there? That muddied the water for me a bit but I think I know what you meant.

Also in your first post you state "Effectively, the LED is random and useless to indicate "channel" state.".   In your second post you say "When I hit the button, the amp currently on the display remains unchanged but the LED toggles and audio changes to the other amp."  The way I read them these two statements seem to be contradictory. If as you say the "LED toggles and the audio changes to the other amp", then why are you also saying "the LED is random and useless to indicate "channel" state""?  At least when set to "Press", it sounds to me like the assigned item in the display is changing, the LED is lighting/dimming, and the amp model is switching as designed.  The main problem appears to be that (still with the "Press" setting on) that when you touch the switch it still switches assignments. Again, that sounds like it could be a legit bug.

Text from the HX Stomp manual for the Touch, Press, Both global setting:

"When set to "Touch," touching a Stomp mode switch selects its assigned item(s) but pressing doesn't. When set to "Press," pressing a Stomp mode switch selects its assigned item(s) but touching doesn't (helpful if you insist on playing barefoot). When set to "Both," either touching or pressing will select the assigned item. The default is "Touch.""

Judging by the text in the manual you do appear to have found a bug if when you have this set to "Press" it is still selecting "its assigned item" when you have only touched it. Sorry, took me a while to wind through all the posts in this topic and essentially come to the same conclusion as Codamedia that contacting Line6 might be the best way to get this addressed and get clarification on the intended behavior and what the manual is stating versus the actual behavior.  Might be helpful if some other HX Stomp users could verify that they are seeing the same behavior you are on the "Press" setting. Btw, is the "Both" setting working properly?

Hi HonestOpinion,

thanks for taking the time.

I think we're on the same page now, and yes, given the above feedback I'm now fairly certain it's a bug. Let me just quickly confirm your points and I'll add a reference to this topic in the general "bugs" thread in a day or so.

4 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

... one point of minor confusion for me. Your first post states "the display will cycle between the two assigned effects, and the LED inverts".

... then why are you also saying "the LED is random and useless to indicate "channel" state""? 

Correct - I wasn't precise. I meant "between the two assigned amp models".

And the LED is arguably "deterministic" not "random" but still useless for live playing (in a sense that accidentally touching the metal button inverts the LED so it does not tell which amp channel is currently active, unless I can be certain no one has touched the unit).

What I'm looking for is "LED on means channel 2" but right now I can't have that with the HX stomp.

Just thinking aloud, I could fix the software problem in hardware by using two audio inputs and one of those little boxes

image.png.d591b7c1e105efd2b47e941680f3f196.png

...no I won't :-)

4 hours ago, offrhodes said:

Hi HonestOpinion,

thanks for taking the time.

I think we're on the same page now, and yes, given the above feedback I'm now fairly certain it's a bug. Let me just quickly confirm your points and I'll add a reference to this topic in the general "bugs" thread in a day or so.

Correct - I wasn't precise. I meant "between the two assigned amp models".

And the LED is arguably "deterministic" not "random" but still useless for live playing (in a sense that accidentally touching the metal button inverts the LED so it does not tell which amp channel is currently active, unless I can be certain no one has touched the unit).

What I'm looking for is "LED on means channel 2" but right now I can't have that with the HX stomp.

Just thinking aloud, I could fix the software problem in hardware by using two audio inputs and one of those little boxes

image.png.d591b7c1e105efd2b47e941680f3f196.png

...no I won't :-)

LOL, if other users are seeing this, having to resort to using an A/B switcher is well, less than ideal.  Firmware revision please. It would be helpful like I said earlier to hear some other HX Stomp users report on how this setting is acting on their Stomps just to make sure you don't have an issue that could be fixed via global reset or a firmware reinstall. I can see where barefoot playing would be less than preferable until this is sorted, I might try using the "Both" setting to hopefully at least get consistent behavior and would definitely consider playing with shoes and an expression of consternation on till this is fixed :-)

OK, I filed a support ticket, quoting this thread. Let's see what happens.

BTW, the "both" setting does not help either but let's keep this out of this topic (in theory, it should result in the problematic behavior I'm trying to get rid of and yes, it does exactly that. What I'd need is an "OFF" setting, which appears to be missing on the stomp's current FW).

On 7/5/2020 at 5:28 AM, offrhodes said:

OK, I filed a support ticket, quoting this thread. Let's see what happens.

BTW, the "both" setting does not help either but let's keep this out of this topic (in theory, it should result in the problematic behavior I'm trying to get rid of and yes, it does exactly that. What I'd need is an "OFF" setting, which appears to be missing on the stomp's current FW).

I hear you. I did not think the "Both" setting would be what you were looking for but as long as you were opening a ticket on the "Press" and "Touch" settings it made sense to check if the "Both" setting was working correctly. Good luck getting a fix on this.  I hope some other HX Stomp users chime in to confirm they have the same problem or maybe that it is working properly for them. That would be most helpful for confirmation and troubleshooting. Maybe this issue has already been discussed elsewhere. I know variations of it have.

• 8 months later...

I know this is from 8 months ago but was this resolved ? 

On my helix floor I had two amps assigned to the one footswitch . I set to the following ( only one amp on at a time ) - 

Amp one on = led off

Amp two on = led on .

I touched the top of the footswitch and it switched to 

Amp one on = led on 

Amp two on = led off 

I think I tried changing the footswitch option in global settings but whatever setting the same thing happened? 

Is there a bug or am I having a senior moment ? 

Any help appreciated 

2 hours ago, Abokerr said:

Is there a bug or am I having a senior moment ? 

From my communication with Line 6 support on a "touch" related HX Stomp hardware defect last year (repaired in the meantime), this behavior is apparently "by design": The global setting Stomp Select (Touch/Press/Both) is supposed to affect the Edit View only.

I, for one, being someone who plays barefoot every now and then, consider this a bug nonetheless, but there you go.