Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Combine Helix and Mac sound for recording

mmarkuz

I connected the Helix to my Mac via USB. On the Mac I am playing guitar to as backing track. The guitar sound comes from the Helix, the backing track from the Mac. That's actually a fantastic combo to practice songs. 

Now I'd like to record those sessions, ideally with a webcam or Quicktime. Quicktime allows to select the microphone source too so you are able to pick Helix as the sound source. However, the Mac sounds from my backing track are missing, since you can only pick one source. 

How can I get the Mac sound mixed in the Helix and output to the Mac again and get it recorded?

Thanks for your support,
Mark   

Assign Helix as the primary mac sound output as well. Go to your Audio MIDI Setup on the mac, right-click Helix and choose Use This Device For Sound Output. Your playback will now come from Helix. However, this still won't let you record via QuickTime as that output is actually output and will not show on Helix as input. I'm not too familiar with loopback capabilities of macOS since I record in DAW while also recording with camera and then sync up audio and video in Final Cut (or iMovie) after the fact. I have been experimenting with OBS and BlackHole (both free) which seem like they may be able to solve this problem but I haven't worked out all the kinks yet.

@SaschaFranck, Soundflower is great but also old and not well maintained. For new things, I recommend BlackHole which is the exact same thing as SoundFlower but with complete updated capability for Catalina's security model. Check out BlackHole here. Of course, if anyone is already using Soundflower and it's working perfectly for you, no need to switch. Just pointing out a newer option.

• Like 1

actually been a little too early - I am not getting it setup. now the sound from the Mac comes up and I can play along, however the Helix sound won't get recorded. I have setup the way it says in the instructions, and always using latest firmware and macOS...

Make sure you are down with the basics. Some important concepts:

1. The computer records inputs
  2. You hear outputs
  3. The computer won't record outputs
  4. Helix allows your "guitar sound" to be heard as an output while also sending it to many inputs
  5. Your computer playback is only an output (and not an input)
  6. This is what allows a DAW to work (because you can listen to playback of already recorded tracks while recording only your unimpeded input)
  7. There exists add-on software (BlackHole is my preference, but Soundflower is the older one) that makes your computer think outputs are inputs, but it requires configuration

Which part of the above are you having trouble getting setting up. Then we can help you with more details about that part.

• Like 1