Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Tuner - Short button press

JS312RAF

I don’t know for sure but I expect it’s the obvious - a design decision to reduce the overall physical dimensions and number of switches. By doubling up on the functions of one switch (Tuner and Tap Tempo) you don’t need two single purpose switches. The primary function is assigned to the Tap Tempo feature which uses a sequence of single presses. That means the secondary function (Tuner) can’t be activated by a a single press.

Use Ideascale if you want to suggest a design change.

5 hours ago, JS312RAF said:

What's the logic behind that?

Probably just that the tap/tuner footswitch on every Line 6 floor processor and controller has worked that way since they started making them. The Stomp is the only one where you can actually assign that footswitch to a different function.

12 hours ago, JS312RAF said:

What's the logic behind that?

I would imagine part of it is to prevent accidentally killing your sound while in the middle of a song with a sloppy foot, for a function you rarely use, and typically only use in between songs.

If it concerns you get a Boss TU-2 and leave it on all the time, with your guitar coming out the bypass port.

I find it extremely.. not clever.. not be able to set a switch to just a tuner instead of a tap/tuner.
The exact reason I want to use the tuner with a tap is to kill the sound at the end of the song.

I have several external tuners, but find it silly to have to take them with me (plus a power source) just because of such a banal software (hardware has nothing to do with it) decision in 2020.

On 6/21/2020 at 7:03 AM, JS312RAF said:

Is there any way to turn the Tuner on by a single press of a button, or are we for some reason, stuck with the long press?
Cheers.

On 6/21/2020 at 8:44 AM, silverhead said:

You can’t arrange to do it with a short press (tap) using just the Helix device. You could use an external MIDI controller to do this.

Given the way you would like to use this switch I see your point about making a single press an option for the tuner for folks who don't use the tap tempo or would like it assigned elsewhere. You might be able to do a PITA workaround by using the MIDI loopback trick. You take a short MIDI cable and loop it from the MIDI In to the MIDI Out ports on the HX Stomp. Set up a MIDI command on the Tuner/Tap swtich to activate the tuner in the Command Center. Using this method would prevent you from having to bring an extra MIDI controller and only requires a MIDI cable.  I have some specific instructions on how to set up MIDI loopback commands at the link below that you could adapt for your intended purpose. It is easy to set up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Given the way you would like to use this switch I see your point about making a single press an option for the tuner for folks who don't use the tap tempo or would like it assigned elsewhere. You might be able to do a PITA workaround by using the MIDI loopback trick. You take a short MIDI cable and loop it from the MIDI In to the MIDI Out ports on the HX Stomp. Set up a MIDI command on the Tuner/Tap swtich to activate the tuner in the Command Center. Using this method would prevent you from having to bring an extra MIDI controller and only requires a MIDI cable.  I have some specific instructions on how to set up MIDI loopback commands at the link below that you could adapt for your intended purpose. It is easy to set up.

Will give it a try, thank you.

An option for a separate Tuner and separate Tap in the switch function menu would solve all the problems though, hopefully one day..

1 hour ago, JS312RAF said:

Will give it a try, thank you.

An option for a separate Tuner and separate Tap in the switch function menu would solve all the problems though, hopefully one day..

Below are some specific instructions for how to set up a tuner loopback command. I tried this on my Helix and it works but I got wonky inconsistent results. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.  Sometimes the tap footswitch would behave like a momentary switch and I would have to keep it depressed to keep the tuner on. Maybe this would work differently on the HX Stomp. Ultimately I'm not sure if this method will work for you but it was an interesting experiment. I would be curious to see how it behaves on your HX Stomp. Please let me know if you try it.

1. IMPORTANT: Set 'Global Settings' --> 'MIDI/Tempo' --> 'MIDI Thru' = "Off"              This prevents runaway infinite loop MIDI funkiness when you are looping MIDI back into the Helix or HX Stomp
  2. Set up a MIDI cable from your HX Stomp MIDI output and loop it back to your MIDI input
  3. Now go to the Command Center (where you set up your MIDI commands) and set up the following values in the parameters for the Tap footswitch.
    1. Command = "CC Toggle",  MIDI Ch = "Base",  CC# = 68,  Dim Value = 0, Lit Value = 127
  4. Tap footswitch should now require a single click for tuner(ah, but does it work?).
  • Like 1