Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cabs discussion thread. Favorite cabs and settings? Link amp/cab?

grdGo33

So I'm just starting out with the Go, and don't know much about the dozens of cabs available on Go/Helix...  Are there particular cabs which are renown to be the 'greatests', and why?  Are there any amps which with certain settings really improve the way they sound or are the defaults typically good?   Do you tend to mix and match amps and cabs, or just leave the link amp/cab option and don't really care about cabs?

• Like 1

I like the Archetype, Cali Rectifier, brit 2204 and brit plexi. I set the gain a bit lower than normal and then boost it with a scream 808.  than to get a super distorted tone I add a Minotaur and both gain pedals are set to stack. than I normally have 3 mod effects a nice plate vverb and maybe a vintage digital delay.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:50 PM, Nylander88 said:

I like the Archetype, Cali Rectifier, brit 2204 and brit plexi. I set the gain a bit lower than normal and then boost it with a scream 808.  than to get a super distorted tone I add a Minotaur and both gain pedals are set to stack. than I normally have 3 mod effects a nice plate vverb and maybe a vintage digital delay.

I think these are amps and not cabs! hehe

I've just started to try to make my own Go tones, and wow...  The cabs really do make a drastic difference...  Was just trying the AC30 amp, and boy, just changing the cab really does a huge difference, so much so that it's almost like it's almost like changing the amp itself!

I think that for a newbie, the option "link cab/amp" should be off?  That way, you can somewhat familiarize yourself with the cab's sound, and afterwards trying out different amps...  Or maybe forego the cabs completely and just play with amps?

Shish and then there's the cabs options themselves... Even the mic model, mic distance, reflections, which I'm sure will again change everything...

1 hour ago, grdGo33 said:

Was just trying the AC30 amp, and boy, does just changing the cab really does a huge difference

Yes I change the cab for the britt 2204 with a cali v30 and I liked the sound I came up with, and yes I think I miss-read the title of the thread... lol