Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need some guidance for home use...

Stephen59

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm not a professional musician, I just love to play guitar at home and needed some guidance on what equipment I would need\don't need to achieve my goals below. 

I usually run my amp through a mixer on one channel, and maybe a backing track from my PC on another channel and use my headphones. Sometimes I just plug my headphones straight into the back of the amp and play. (keeps the family happy that way) I would also like to try mixing my own tracks too, and see how that works out. Being new to the recording part, I don't know if I needed something special between the pedal or mixer and my PC, or even if the software I have will handle it. The mixer has a USB connection if that helps.   

I've looked at the top 10-15 multi-effects pedals, and the Line 6 seemed to be one of the favorites of most. Had my eye on the Helix LT or Helix Floor for quite a while now along with a few others. Both of these may be overkill for me. I could always set up a pedal board with all of the effects I like and a dedicated power supply, but I want something that's like an "all in one", with less cabling, and more portable if i want to take it somewhere. I would probably end up spending about the same amount or more either way I go. 

Here is a list of what I have to work with, and hope I can eventually achieve my goals. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Fender M Strat, and Gibson Les Paul Standard

Boss Katana-50 amp

Boss Blues Driver

Boss Metal Zone 

DB01 Wah pedal

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones

Alesis Multimix8 mixer 

CUBASE LE 9.5 

I own and use a Helix, HX Effects (this one is FX only- no Amp Models), and a Kemper. Luv um all.

Ok - 1st off you are right, you could always use a pedal board into a nice amp as this works well for millions of players.

Here is the real thing about Helix, a Kemper, an Axe FX or any of these boxes. You have to put some time in to get results.

Once thats done, they pay off in musical spades for ya. This 1st route (a pedal board into an amp) is easier, but it's more of a one trick pony compared to Helix.

So, if you are ready for a learning curve (its not that bad or we all wouldnt be here) Id say get a Helix, Kemper or Axe FX. Which one is the best (Im clairvoyant btw ; ) ) is really up to you.

So start reading. And GL!

• Like 1

I really hate when publications categorize the Helix as a multi-effects pedal.  The truth is Helix is a Modeler which means it's more than effects.  It provides functional models of not only effects, but amps, cabinets, mics for those cabinets along with a wide range of different effect units as well as the means to connect it to the real world in a variety of ways whether that be for performing live or working in a studio.  So you'd consider it a one stop shop for most every need you might have.  To get a feel for everything that's in something like the Helix Floor or Helix LT look through the following link for the amps and effects it has to offer.

https://helixhelp.com/

What that would mean in your world is you have everything you would need for connecting to your CUBASE to record.  You wouldn't need a separate audio interface for your computer because the Helix provides that as well as all the hookups for studio monitors, headphones, vocal mic, as well as other instruments.  For example I have two Helix units.  One is used for playing live with my band, the other serves as a backup to the first one but is connected in my studio to my main computer and DAW.  Aside from plugging my guitar into it, it also  has my vocal mic, keyboard, bass guitar, and sometimes an electric drum kit all plugged into it simultaneously.  When I record I choose the correct preset for the instrument I plan to record, arm the track, press record and play.  I repeat the process for capturing the recording of all other instruments all literally done through a single USB connection to the computer and two connections to my studio monitors without leaving my chair to change things.

Now that's the marketing description, but what Spikey is referring to is the behind the scenes work that you have to do to prepare the Helix to do what you want.  In the real world you have to wire up your effects and amps, in the Helix world you define the type of amp and how you want it setup, the cabinets, mics for the cabinets, and the effects and their placement before or after the amp just like you would in physical studio and save it as a Preset to be recalled any time you need it.  That's the complexity Spikey is referring to because the options and knowledge required to do that can be daunting to some people.  If, however, you want to grow your technical skills for recording or live playing, the Helix can be a great environment for learning the technical ins and outs of different setups with various amps and effects.  But how effective you are with the Helix is based on your understanding of the pros and cons of different amp, what a parametric EQ does, or how to dial in a compressor, the style and type of different reverbs and delays, or how to choose what kind of microphones and where to place them on a cabinet, and so forth.  If you enjoy learning how to do those things you'll enjoy and greatly benefit from the Helix.  If you just want to plug in and start playing, maybe not so much.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Stephen59 said:

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm not a professional musician, I just love to play guitar at home and needed some guidance on what equipment I would need\don't need to achieve my goals below. 

I usually run my amp through a mixer on one channel, and maybe a backing track from my PC on another channel and use my headphones. Sometimes I just plug my headphones straight into the back of the amp and play. (keeps the family happy that way) I would also like to try mixing my own tracks too, and see how that works out. Being new to the recording part, I don't know if I needed something special between the pedal or mixer and my PC, or even if the software I have will handle it. The mixer has a USB connection if that helps.   

I've looked at the top 10-15 multi-effects pedals, and the Line 6 seemed to be one of the favorites of most. Had my eye on the Helix LT or Helix Floor for quite a while now along with a few others. Both of these may be overkill for me. I could always set up a pedal board with all of the effects I like and a dedicated power supply, but I want something that's like an "all in one", with less cabling, and more portable if i want to take it somewhere. I would probably end up spending about the same amount or more either way I go. 

Here is a list of what I have to work with, and hope I can eventually achieve my goals. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Fender M Strat, and Gibson Les Paul Standard

Boss Katana-50 amp

Boss Blues Driver

Boss Metal Zone 

DB01 Wah pedal

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones

Alesis Multimix8 mixer 

CUBASE LE 9.5 

I would get a Helix floor,  cause it makes a great audio interface, if you want to record songs you can use the mic pre on the floor to record vocals, acoustic (You can mic and also go DI), acoustic drums and you can hook up electronic drums via midi. It makes a great unit. I'd get it over the LT. even if you don't record or won't in the near future buy it any way.

Wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions, and tips. I was able to get by a music store today, and spent about an hour playing with both the Floor, and LT model Helix. I have to say, I had a blast. Yes, I agree that it has a decent learning curve on both units, but I able to get some great sounds out of both of them without too much effort.  

And in doing so, I believe that I "may" go with the LT model. About $600.00 cheaper, and I can't seem to justify the extra cost of the floor model considering everything I wanted\needed, the LT offered. The scribble strips are very nice, but the view display on the LT will show which effects are assigned to which buttons, and are also color coded. I have to say though, it was a VERY hard choice between the two. I liked the features that both offered. 

I don't sing, nor do I own an acoustic guitar at the moment, so I don't need a mic input. But if the need ever arises, I can always run a mic or two to my mixer. Don't really need a headphone volume knob as I can always adjust the headphone volume from one of my mixer channels too. Also, "may" not have a use for the extra inputs/outputs. Don't know yet.  

Still deciding though, and was invited back to the store to demo them again if I needed to, so who knows, I may find something that may change my mind when its time to buy. Also, I might get a good deal on either one since they are both technically "USED" now. ;-

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The answers above are excellent. Just to throw my input into the mix, I bought a Floor about 1 year ago. I thought it was going to be complete overkill, because I already had a very nice audio interface for guitar, a mic preamp, and a bunch of great modeling plugins for my DAW. Now a year later, the Helix remains one of my all-time favorite purchases, and it’s pretty much the only thing I use now. Electric guitar, mic for vocals, midi, USB to computer, recording, playback, re-amping, you name it. It does everything so well in a single package that I just can’t be bothered to use the other stuff I have now. Also regarding the mic input and all the effects loops — I also thought I wouldn’t be using those much, but now that I have it I’ve found all sorts of uses for it in a variety of configurations. If you have it, you don’t have to use it — but if you want it, you can’t add it later if it isn’t already there. Good luck with whichever route you go, you really can’t go wrong with either as long as you are willing to take the time to learn how to use it!

• Like 1

This comparison video below from Line 6's Paul Hindmarsh may help you make your decision. Essentially it breaks down to whether or not you want the scribble strips versus onscreen block labels, headphone level knob, and which of these devices' back panel inputs and outputs has the options you need or are likely to need/want in the future.  The Helix Floor and the LT are identical in most other respects. So to recap, some items to consider for the Helix: the two additional expression pedal inputs, the additional send/return loops, the mic input(super helpful for recording as others pointed out), the headphone level control and scribble strips,  On the LT side of the equation, primarily price.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stephen59 said:

Wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions, and tips. I was able to get by a music store today, and spent about an hour playing with both the Floor, and LT model Helix. I have to say, I had a blast. Yes, I agree that it has a decent learning curve on both units, but I able to get some great sounds out of both of them without too much effort.  

And in doing so, I believe that I "may" go with the LT model. About $600.00 cheaper, and I can't seem to justify the extra cost of the floor model considering everything I wanted\needed, the LT offered. The scribble strips are very nice, but the view display on the LT will show which effects are assigned to which buttons, and are also color coded. I have to say though, it was a VERY hard choice between the two. I liked the features that both offered. 

I don't sing, nor do I own an acoustic guitar at the moment, so I don't need a mic input. But if the need ever arises, I can always run a mic or two to my mixer. Don't really need a headphone volume knob as I can always adjust the headphone volume from one of my mixer channels too. Also, "may" not have a use for the extra inputs/outputs. Don't know yet.  

Still deciding though, and was invited back to the store to demo them again if I needed to, so who knows, I may find something that may change my mind when its time to buy. Also, I might get a good deal on either one since they are both technically "USED" now. ;-

I'll just throw in a bit from my experience.  After having my Helix Floor for about a year I decided I would get a second unit as a backup which I could use in my studio and initially thought I'd save a few bucks and get the LT.  What changed my mind to get another Helix Floor had nothing to do with any of the flashy stuff, it came down to all the things you mentioned such as the extra inputs, mic input, and headphone volume.

At the time my studio setup consisted of a separate audio interface and a small mixer.  As I studied the problem it became clear to me that the Helix Floor was an adequate replacement for both of those units and would simplify my recording process immensely.  The Helix Floor is now the center of operations for my studio.  With the extra inputs I can have my electric guitar, my acoustic guitar, my bass guitar, my microphone and my keyboard all plugged in at one time.  For recording I have a preset for each of those instruments so to capture a track I simply select the appropriate preset, arm the track, and I'm ready to go.  Maybe the most valuable thing has been the headphone volume knob as that allows me to easily balance my playback with whatever I'm recording at the time since, other than vocals, I playback everything through my studio monitors while I record.  What used to be a fairly complex workflow and setup is now nothing more than selecting the proper preset, adjusting the volume between playback and recording, arm the track and start recording.  That's easily cut my recording time in half.

I don't mean to confuse your decision, but I thought it might be something you might want to consider.

• Like 1

I was able to find a used Line 6 Helix floor model for $1199.99 at another local guitar store. Same price as a new LT. Right place at the right time I guess. They got it in on a trade yesterday, and didn't actually have it out yet. Its in good condition, with maybe a few light scratches, but everything works on it (from what I can tell). I think I can live with it. I'm sure I'll put a few on it myself. Only thing missing was the flash drive. Was told to try it out for 30 days, and if I didn't like it for ANY reason, they would refund %100 of my purchase price no questions asked. So, I'll give it a try and let you know what I think.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 9:10 PM, Stephen59 said:

I was able to find a used Line 6 Helix floor model for $1199.99 at another local guitar store. Same price as a new LT. Right place at the right time I guess. They got it in on a trade yesterday, and didn't actually have it out yet. Its in good condition, with maybe a few light scratches, but everything works on it (from what I can tell). I think I can live with it. I'm sure I'll put a few on it myself. Only thing missing was the flash drive. Was told to try it out for 30 days, and if I didn't like it for ANY reason, they would refund %100 of my purchase price no questions asked. So, I'll give it a try and let you know what I think.

Won't be any "taking it back"  :) 

UPDATE:  So, I have been having a BLAST with this thing. Whoever had it before me had created some SWEET presets, and been using them so much, I haven't made any for myself yet.

Noticed that it came with v2.91, and wondered if I should upgrade to 2.92? If so, I don't want to lose ANY of the presets that were manually created. They sound too good to let go. I want to do a FULL backup first, then wondered if I need to backup each preset, or IR's individually as well? And how hard is it to import saved presets\IR's back to the Helix? 

1 hour ago, Stephen59 said:

Won't be any "taking it back"  :) 

UPDATE:  So, I have been having a BLAST with this thing. Whoever had it before me had created some SWEET presets, and been using them so much, I haven't made any for myself yet.

Noticed that it came with v2.91, and wondered if I should upgrade to 2.92? If so, I don't want to lose ANY of the presets that were manually created. They sound too good to let go. I want to do a FULL backup first, then wondered if I need to backup each preset, or IR's individually as well? And how hard is it to import saved presets\IR's back to the Helix? 

Off-loading the IR's and saving them on your computer would be a good idea just in case the Helix $hits the bed at some point, and you have to do a factory reset...but there's no need to go backing up individual patches manually. Besides, it would take forever. Creating a backup of everything on the device is a one-click operation in HX Edit.

...and, restoring a backup is just as easy. Line 6 did a particularly great job there. It couldn't be much simpler.

I say just update it. 2.92 has many good bugfixes. HX Edit forces you to back it up before you update it as part of the update process. Make sure you update it through HX Edit -- don't use L6 updater or whatever it's called. First install HX Edit 2.92, then just update Helix through there. Easy peasy.