Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using dual cab blocks with PC+

andymguitar

I'm wondering if you can load dual cab blocks into the Powercab plus?

I have quite a few patches with dual cab blocks and also just the amp and two separate cab blocks split. Can I emulate these with the PC+?  I have never really got into IR's, but is this the only real benefit of the plus?

On 6/24/2020 at 5:53 PM, andymguitar said:

I'm curious what is the extra benefit of the plus? 

The 'Plus' allows you to load IR's into the powercab itself.  I use this for some patches in helix, as it frees up needing to use a cab block in the helix, I can just use a custom IR on the Powercab+

2 hours ago, cglaser68 said:

The 'Plus' allows you to load IR's into the powercab itself.  I use this for some patches in helix, as it frees up needing to use a cab block in the helix, I can just use a custom IR on the Powercab+

So just IR's? I haven't really got into them yet, I'm using stock cabs. Hence my dilemma over PC or PC+!

Remember though, having the Powercab processing the IR's means you don't need to use a CAB or IR block in your Helix chain, so it saves you DSP utilization that you can then use for other blocks.  That's a big benefit once you start doing more complex effects chains.  So I would look at it as not just being able to use IRs on it, but also that it gives you the option to offload some of the DSP processing load from your helix.  The drawback to this is you need to have the powercab with you as it is processing the IRs.  But, for me since I always use my powercab 112+ for a guitar-only monitor at shows, it's not an issue.

Yes, that's a definite bonus. I have downloaded some IR's but preferred the stock cabs I was using! They were free though so maybe I need to buy a couple. As you say, losing the cab block from the helix would be good, especially as I have the Helix LT. I do a few theatre gigs (well I did before the pandemic!) where there's no room for an amp in the pit, but I would just replicate patches with the cabs on for that. 

• 2 weeks later...