Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

UX1 - Can't get microphone to work

I'm trying to get myself set up to do some home recording, so I've got the UX1 interface.

The UX1 + PODFarm 2.5 software is working great with my guitars and basses. But, I've run into issues with my vocal mic.

I purchased a new Audio-Technica AT2020 (XLR version), and it's being powered by an ARTcessories Phantom I 48v phantom power supply. This is the power supply recommended to me by a guy at Audio-Technica tech support, and it plugs into the wall as opposed to USB. I'm running an XLR cable from the mic to the power supply, and another XLR cable from the power supply to the UX1's XLR mic input.

Alas, I'm getting absolutely nothing out of the mic. No sound from my headphones. If I crank the MIC GAIN knob all the way up, the "In" meter in the PODFarm software shows the barest signal (one light segment), but still no audible sound when I speak into the mic. My DAW (Cakewalk) also detects no signal from the mic.

As I am completely new to this, it's possible I'm doing something wrong. Or not. All of the pieces - mic, phantom power supply, UX1, and 2 XLR cables - are brand new, so should all be in good working order. I wondered if I also needed a mic preamp, but the UX1 documentation says it has one built-in.

As I said, everything works great with my guitars. So I'm puzzled as to why I can't get the mic working with this setup. Any suggestions?

Dang it, nope. I just discovered that after you asked, and just yesterday I gave up and returned the microphone and power supply to Amazon (was getting close to the last day I could return them), and ordered a USB mic instead.

I have a UX2 interface that works great with Line 6 POD Farm and my guitar, I can even record with Audacity - BUT - I cannot get the microphone to work. I have a Shure PG58 with XLR connection (which works fine into my Steinberg CI1 and also into my fender amp. 

I have the gain turned up, the mic is on, but the level indicator on the UX2 does not budge. Neither the left or right input works. HELP.