Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp:First Impressions

Thehook

I am using it with bass, My previous main processor was the Zoom B3n and various  single effects pedals.I have only had the Stomp a few weeks despite some short-comings its here to stay.
Comparison: 
Size goes to Stomp.
Front panel on the fly edit goes to Zoom ,preset to stomp mode to tuner easier on Zoom.
Amp models goes to Stomp (EBS 360 in Zoom was great too!) and the addition of IR's which Zoom does not have. Got some great IR's on the net to fill out the Stomp.
Midi and routing,interface goes to Stomp ,Zoom doesn't have it!
 Eq/dynamics...about equal, a few preferred on the Zoom though, (Dual comp,ZNR)
OD/distortion- not a big user of dirt but both Stomp and Zoom are Ok (I have a Source Audio aftershock-better than both)
Pitch/Filter definitely goes to to Stomp. The single,dual  pitch and EBS Octobass are all good. Filters go to Stomp
The synth models are better than Zoom in many ways ,(lots of room for improvement though) 
Delays are about equal.
Modulation also equal, though Zoom since its a "bass" processor seems  out-of -the box better,less tweaking.
Reverb I would say goes to Zoom. To me they sound deeper and richer perhaps again due to Zoom being geared at bass. It doesn't seem likely but the HX reverbs seem thin (running mono, but did on the Zoom too). Since I am a bassist only light use anyway.
Looper..not a big user but i think Zoom has longer loop times. (and along with the drum machine doesn't count in # of effects)
Less important but convenient...Zoom has a metronome/drum track and a dedicated 1/8 aux input for mp3 player,etc.

Most surprising: The  Stomp synth stuff. Created quite a few patches. Not great for dedicated  classic bass synth patches, but got some great sounds/layers, even faux brass and sax.
Disappointments: Lack of dedicated "bass" effects. This saves on tweaking/EQ etc.
I actually know more bassists using Stomp than guitarists!
3 note  generator and 4 voice synth...just a drone????
The 6 block thing????? Why wouldn't  it have the same as the LT if using the same chip?
I could live with it easily if  send/returns didn't count as a block..Who thought that was a good idea?
Update process...following directions crashed at both updates 2.91 and 2.92... scary for new user!
 Another main reason for changing:  Support! Line 6 seems to support their products with updates and ideascale. I had contacted Zoom many times about updates, looks like they abandoned the B3n already. I think the next  HX update(3.0) will remove some of the  disappoinment issues...at least two more blocks for send/return and Command center functions if I heard that right. (after all got Stomp to run in midi setup) Hopefully, more octave/filter/synth models and more modern bass amps/cabs (More GK,Hartke,EBS models) Still, fun to re-create some of my old classic bass amps with the ones in the Stomp,but bring on the new! With expanded features I expect the Stomp to shrink my pedalboard. If i could do without some of my single pedals I might go for a an LT...wish it was smaller though

Just curious on other users view and insights.
Thanks.

11 hours ago, Thehook said:

Eq/dynamics...about equal, a few preferred on the Zoom though, (Dual comp,ZNR)

I have and still use the Zoom MS70 and MS100, and I do agree.

I never use the compressors in the multistomp, but the ZNR noise supperssor is stellar!

I find the HX Stomp to be a kind of "high end multistomp", the routing and switching possibilites it offers are amazing!

On the other hand I find the Multistomp to be still great units, and times to times it comes in really handy!

The effects in general are very good, and I did once AB-test the strymon and eventide meulation with the originals: not as high-end, but so close, you won't notice in a live situation!